ExcessiveAngler

ABU AMBASSADOR 6500CT ROCKET CHROME

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2021 at 1:01 AM, quan808 said:

Post a pic of the internals.

I have owned over 100 Abu’s in the 6000-6500 class and the cog wheels have always been plastic. 

Manufacturer in China I believe makes Abu, Omoto and a couple other brands out of the same factory. 

Finally got a chance to take the rocket apart. Here are the pics.

947BBD86-795C-44B4-8D47-9A7A58BC3878.jpeg

84545900-4BF8-43EA-A16D-E2374BBC5939.jpeg

2226CB29-ABE9-4939-833D-3F418DEC1B8C.jpeg

E85184B8-C8BE-4B32-9A49-428E2F784249.jpeg

494DDB38-CFB5-4C5B-B82A-8DA0C813EDED.jpeg

651074EB-6A70-4803-A9DD-5A43559F86B8.jpeg

ED40AACD-961C-45F5-9537-A4E931567F78.jpeg

C0DA91B5-11DE-4B1C-9887-D1AEADBEE722.jpeg

On 2/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, Sweetwater said:

The bottom of the reel foot is stamped with a serial number. You can look it up or ask ABU on line. 

The one I have now has a new series for the serial number, but my older rockets had an eight digit code starting with 1200 or 1300, then the last two digits were the year plus ten, and the two before them were the week of the year the reel was assembled. I think they told me 1200 was the chrome rocket, but it was a while back now. 

In general, ABU's are still a dime a dozen, and there is little gain in switching gear trains, as they are more similar than not across the 4,5,6000 series. More likely is getting an Ambassadeur that has been upgraded in some manner, most frequently the drag stack. 

I called ABU and they said my CT6500 is from the early 2000’s.The woman that works there is very nice and was able to give me a bit of info.I was hoping to get the original handle for it but it is quite pricy at $35 plus shipping.Think I’m just going to get a colored handle off the web somewhere.You can find some nice handles for around $20 and free shipping.Not sure yet,but the handle it came with looks cheap.Sure do like the look of the original one 

To be honest, looks just like any other Abu I have taken apart. That plastic gear on your spool spindle is just for your clicker. I have never had to replace that as there is no strain put on that part. Everything else is either brass or stainless steel so you are good.

So is this is a standard “Rocket” with aluminum side plates? A “Chrome Rocket” would have heavier brass side plates.

The main difference between this reel and your old red 6000’s is the flat side plates, bearings instead of bushings, and this would have better casting control as it has a “speed bushing” on the left hand side.

4 mins ago, quan808 said:

To be honest, looks just like any other Abu I have taken apart. That plastic gear on your spool spindle is just for your clicker. I have never had to replace that as there is no strain put on that part. Everything else is either brass or stainless steel so you are good.

So is this is a standard “Rocket” with aluminum side plates? A “Chrome Rocket” would have heavier brass side plates.

The main difference between this reel and your old red 6000’s is the flat side plates, bearings instead of bushings, and this would have better casting control as it has a “speed bushing” on the left hand side.

It is a “Chrome Rocket” with the heavier  brass side plates.I just wasn’t expecting to see that plastic.I haven’t taken apart a lot of ABU’s.I kinda just expected more of the rocket.Is there anyway to identify the bearings.

7 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

It is a “Chrome Rocket” with the heavier  brass side plates.I just wasn’t expecting to see that plastic.I haven’t taken apart a lot of ABU’s.I kinda just expected more of the rocket.Is there anyway to identify the bearings.

Standard Abu sized bearings 4x10x4mm:howdy:

5 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Standard Abu sized bearings 4x10x4mm:howdy:

Yes I get that.I was curious how you can tell what bearing type is in the reel like 5 or 7.I guess I should have taken a magnet to them to see.

1 min ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Yes I get that.I was curious how you can tell what bearing type is in the reel like 5 or 7.I guess I should have taken a magnet to them to see.

Prolly just standard SS bearings. Abu's didn't come stock with Abec bearings.:howdy:

Chrome rockets are much heavier then the aluminum sideplates reels. Made of brass. All parts other than the side plates are the same between alot of models.  I have 10 chrome rockets in the closet btw.

Frame numbers or other parts are irrelevant.

All the stamped chrome rocket 6500 plates were made in sweden. 

Edited by ooeric