ExcessiveAngler

ABU AMBASSADOR 6500CT ROCKET CHROME

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Mine has Sports Rocket engraved on the side, and has Made in Sweeden, and the brass Ambassadeur logo plaque on it.

I guess someone could counterfeit all of that.

Mine also says that however mine isn’t a sport model.After servicing my reel that I purchased used.I noticed on all these other generic reels.

2 mins ago, Catch This said:

Mine has Sports Rocket engraved on the side, and has Made in Sweeden, and the brass Ambassadeur logo plaque on it.

I guess someone could counterfeit all of that.

They all seem to have identical parts inside and I thought there would be some things I could look for internally. I just serviced my red Abu 6000’s and noticed they have the same plastic cog gear opposite the handle side.I also thought all the internals were brass on the rockets and had better bearings inside.It also does not have the original handle on it.

Post a pic of the internals.

I have owned over 100 Abu’s in the 6000-6500 class and the cog wheels have always been plastic. 

Manufacturer in China I believe makes Abu, Omoto and a couple other brands out of the same factory. 

20 hours ago, quan808 said:

I have owned over 100 Abu’s in the 6000-6500 class and the cog wheels have always been plastic. 

Manufacturer in China I believe makes Abu, Omoto and a couple other brands out of the same factory. 

Omoto did manufacture reels for Abu years ago.

Now they make their own reels and other fishing equipment of their own now.

They also used to be known as okuma before they sold it.

HH

21 hours ago, quan808 said:

As soon as I can get a chance I will take the reel apart again and post pics of all the internals. I did a little more research and the plastic piece I was referring to isn’t the cog because mine doesn’t have a level wind.It is a small plastic gear that goes into the spool on the clicker side.

1 min ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

.It is a small plastic gear that goes into the spool on the clicker side.

Perhaps that would be the clicker ratchet?

9 mins ago, oc1 said:

Perhaps that would be the clicker ratchet?

I’m guessing that’s what it is. I’ve been using spinning and revolving gear for a while but never used revolvers in the surf. I Take take pretty good care of my gear so usually there’s not too much service involved. Always wash them off with a fine mist then dry them off and hit them with a little oil.I just recently got in the servicing my own gear so I’ve been watching a bunch of vids on how to do it. I’m just trying to figure what the internals should look like on my rocket, the gears bearings etc.

21 hours ago, quan808 said:

Well, I visited most of the Omoto factories in Taiwan a couple of years ago. Two CNC factories, an anodizing facility, general assembly facility, braid factory, and HQ. There was not time to visit the hook factory.  When you say Omoto it encompasses fly reels, LP reels, spinning reels, bait casters, conventional including star and lever drag up to trolling size 80 and down to small jigging reels. I was shown a 2 speed all stainless Omoto spinning reel in Taiwan that was best held with 2 hands.

The brother of Omoto's owner does manage a facility in China that produces lower end LP and spinning reels. It is my understanding the Chinese product goes mostly to big box stores in large quantity and sold under various names. The minimum order quantity for these reels is about 600 reels of the same type. 

I hope this clarifies the breadth of Omoto .

Don

Poseidon.gif.0f32fa70e2e1e225e8a5c38f0013fcaf.gif

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

As soon as I can get a chance I will take the reel apart again and post pics of all the internals. I did a little more research and the plastic piece I was referring to isn’t the cog because mine doesn’t have a level wind.It is a small plastic gear that goes into the spool on the clicker side.

That is indeed what that little white gear is for.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I have 2 older 6500 chrome rockets.  Probably 20yrs old.  They are way heavier than the standard rockets. I am sure they are made in Sweden( says so on the side plate). I will check out the internals for plastic parts, it does have the level wind option.

The bottom of the reel foot is stamped with a serial number. You can look it up or ask ABU on line. 

The one I have now has a new series for the serial number, but my older rockets had an eight digit code starting with 1200 or 1300, then the last two digits were the year plus ten, and the two before them were the week of the year the reel was assembled. I think they told me 1200 was the chrome rocket, but it was a while back now. 

In general, ABU's are still a dime a dozen, and there is little gain in switching gear trains, as they are more similar than not across the 4,5,6000 series. More likely is getting an Ambassadeur that has been upgraded in some manner, most frequently the drag stack.