R.R. Bridge Fisher

Cleaning/polishing sterling silver table ware

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have some old spoons and stuff that's pretty tarnished.  

I also have an ultrasonic cleaner.  Can this be used? Or is there a better proper method? 

Thanks for any information you can provide. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

i knw my mom would use polish and lots of rubbing. if you have a grinder,add a buffing wheel to it.

How to Remove Tarnish and Polish Silverware

You’ll need:

• Aluminum foil
  • 2 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • Hot water
  • Plastic or glass container
  • Soft cloth or lint-free dish towel

Step 1: Grab a pan.

Choose a plastic or glass container that will accommodate your silver pieces. Line the bottom of the container with a piece of aluminum foil, shiny side up.

Psst: Aluminum foil just might be the most useful tool in your kitchen.

Step 2: Layer with baking soda and salt.

Sprinkle 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and salt across the bottom. (If you are cleaning a large piece like a teapot or bowl, you can use up to 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup salt in a non-stainless-steel sink (the two metals could react, causing spots) or a deeper container if need be. Just keep the amount of baking soda and salt equal.)

Step 3: Add silverware.

Add your silver pieces to the container, making sure each piece is touching the aluminum foil. (If you have a lot of silver to clean, do it in smaller batches, using fresh materials for each batch.)

Step 4: Start the reaction.

On the stovetop or in the microwave, heat water almost to boiling. Protect your hands with oven mitts or potholders and pour the hot water over the silverware to cover. (Because of the baking soda, the water will foam up, so make sure you have enough room for expansion.) A chemical reaction from the foil, soda, salt and hot water binds the silver sulfide, or tarnish, from the silver item onto the foil. This may cause the foil piece to become dark.

Step 5: Let the silver soak.

Allow the silverware to soak 1 to 2 minutes, or up to 5 if it’s heavily tarnished. Remove the silverware from the container, wash with warm, soapy water, and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth.

Edited by coolhandfluke

17 hours ago, bugsbenny said:

tarnax , dip and rinse

Tarnax will remove the tarnish, but the silver will not have a nice shine. ( patina)   So you still have to polish it with silver polish to get that nice shine. 

My wife has these silver polishing cloths that work well, don't need the good, amazing the tarnish that comes off of even good looking pieces

Your alternative is if you reload and have a brass polisher with some microbrite ceramic media or something similar, just cant put too many in, if they touch they ding

I don't know how well it works for silver, but NeverDull works well for brass.  It's a cotton that's impregnated with a cleaner of some sort.  Way easier than lots of other polishing approaches

11 hours ago, rathrbefishn said:

I don't know how well it works for silver, but NeverDull works well for brass.  It's a cotton that's impregnated with a cleaner of some sort.  Way easier than lots of other polishing approaches

This is what you want to get