MorningWood

Old John?

23 posts in this topic

slipknot had an how to article on tiger maple needlefish..i remember he said it was inspired by an old john needlefish. think it might have been on another site. no other info, i think

Posted (edited) · Report post

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin’/2013/02/memories-john-merwin/

I have his whole life on paper but I can’t find the damn thing. I’ll hunt it down eventually. His widow came to our last plugfest and brought all his stuff to sell. I bought a bunch of his wood which I still have. Quite the guy and resume 

Edited by Steel Pulse

He was a saltwater fisherman too. He wrote the saltwater tackle box book. He built plugs so anyone who builds plugs makes needles so I imagine it was something he fished. That needle you have was all the talk when he built them. The picture of a bunch of them in a coffee cup was cool. I’m pissed I can’t find that info. 

Good god that’s an old one. Epoxy fall off yet? I was using same stuff Mac used and it tended to crack after a decade. 

Just now, Steel Pulse said:

Good god that’s an old one. Epoxy fall off yet? I was using same stuff Mac used and it tended to crack after a decade. 

Nope. It had a very good caretaker

Haha. Thank you. Maybe someday it will be worth 10 bucks. I got plenty left. I just gave up with the design. It did turn into stainless ones which are great for blues and small ones for Albies. 

B2D9589E-E77B-4400-AB59-C397DBD87BDF.jpeg

F4737204-E2A1-47F0-A2E4-EC90D3210DD0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

Haha. Thank you. Maybe someday it will be worth 10 bucks. I got plenty left. I just gave up with the design. It did turn into stainless ones which are great for blues and small ones for Albies. 

B2D9589E-E77B-4400-AB59-C397DBD87BDF.jpeg

F4737204-E2A1-47F0-A2E4-EC90D3210DD0.jpeg

Nice man, what do the steel ones weigh? probably get into your backing casting one..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those are hollow, drilled out, weight can be added and they are thru  wired so all depends on how much weight you add. They are fairly heavy being stainless. The bigger ones with lead  cast a mile. Great for blues. I find metal the best bluefish lure. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

16 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

That needle you have was all the talk when he built them. The picture of a bunch of them in a coffee cup was cool. I’m pissed I can’t find that info. 

That needlefish in that exact color kicked the crap out of the bass for me...I fished mine into oblivion. Not sure what it was about that plug that made it so great around here, but fish ate it like clockwork when other stuff got ignored. I got that plug from a plug swap in the Lure Building Forum where the builders all built one extra to send to me...it was awesome for them to include me :)  I remember the picture you are talking about with a coffee cup full of those needles :th: 

4 hours ago, TimS said:

That needlefish in that exact color kicked the crap out of the bass for me...I fished mine into oblivion. Not sure what it was about that plug that made it so great around here, but fish ate it like clockwork when other stuff got ignored. I got that plug from a plug swap in the Lure Building Forum where the builders all built one extra to send to me...it was awesome for them to include me :)  I remember the picture you are talking about with a coffee cup full of those needles :th: 

I have one too and you ain't getting it....must have been the color...it's a ny  style meaning Tom d...pichney...and myself built them and then there's a shorter one too.