Seal

Police kill another innocent gun owner on his own property

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

What Was He Doing Standing in His Own Yard?

Idaho Falls, Idaho, Police Chief Bryce Johnson says a man shot and killed by officers was not the suspect they had been looking for. Officers had been looking for a man wanted for felony battery on an officer. The suspect fled on foot after a traffic stop. Officers tracked the suspect to a nearby residential neighborhood and began to search it. Johnson said they saw an armed man who matched the suspect's description in the backyard of one of the homes. He says officers ordered him to drop his weapon and shot him. They later found the suspect hiding in a nearby shed. Johnson said the man who was shot was not a suspect in any crime but was in fact a homeowner that police had spoken to earlier.

I'm starting to get the feeling that many cops aren't especially interested in the rights of the people that they claim to be "protecting".

All the officers went home for dinner, and that's all that matters. :th: 

33 mins ago, Seal said:

He says officers ordered him to drop his weapon and shot him.

When cops say drop you should do so quickly.

15 mins ago, SB59 said:

In fairness, they gotta give the guy a second to process and comprehend who’s telling them to drop the gun they thought they needed to protect themselves. I don’t know how much time they gave him...just speculating. You hear a noise see a scumbag running through your yard in the middle of the night, hear some banging around in a neighbors shed, grab your legal firearm to investigate - and someone screams ‘drop it’!!! It might take my brain a second or two to process - is that the cops? Bad guy saying ‘drop it’ hoping he fools me? What are they wearing? Bang...bang...bang....guess it was cops. 

9 mins ago, SB59 said:

What do you do when they're all yelling contradictory orders?

If this shooting follows the outline of many others, it'll go something like this: 

Cop 1: "Freeze."

Cop 2: "Show me your hands."

Cop 3: "Get on the ground."

Then, if one of them shoots you, the District attorney will "investigate" for a year or so and determine that it was justified because "the peasant failed to follow orders". :laugh: 

12 mins ago, TimS said:

In fairness, they gotta give the guy a second to process and comprehend who’s telling them to drop the gun they thought they needed to protect themselves. I don’t know how much time they gave him...just speculating. You hear a noise see a scumbag running through your yard in the middle of the night, hear some banging around in a neighbors shed, grab your legal firearm to investigate - and someone screams ‘drop it’!!! It might take my brain a second or two to process - is that the cops? Bad guy saying ‘drop it’ hoping he fools me? What are they wearing? Bang...bang...bang....guess it was cops. 

Absolute nightmare scenario.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

A yellow traffic light is around 2 seconds, and the driver is expecting that. The OODA loop takes time as noted above,how much time was given before shooting. I wonder if these guys were wearing body cams.

Just now, Jetty Jumper said:

A yellow traffic light is around 2 seconds, and the driver is expecting that. The OODA loop takes time as noted above,how much time was given before shooting. I wonder if these guys were wearing body cams.

Real articles about this incident indicate they were.  The truth about what actually happened will come out.  Good or bad.

Not sure if there is any possibility of "good", that sounds weird...

There's the variable of "unquestioned surrender" in the dark in your own house or yard......any one of us might have hesitated long enough to be killed.  Without getting hysterical like our resident cop hater.....cops absolutely have to dial down the aggression overall and use some restraint before you kill someone.

I don't think it would change anything because cop haters gonna hate regardless but I've said here before there should be a front page local paper and lead story on the local news giving an un-couched apology/admission to the public.  The coverups do almost as much damage as the mistake in these cases.

3 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

Its ok....the assailant and the victim were white...the officer was latino...no protests or racial riots needed.

They had to switch to whitey to quench their bloodlust until BestBuy and Rite Aid our rebuilt. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Seal said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that many cops aren't especially interested in the rights of the people that they claim to be "protecting".

All the officers went home for dinner, and that's all that matters. :th: 

Really, because there are probably tens of thousands calls every day and night for the need of a police officer when there are no issues except a satisfactory resolution. If your feelings were correct there would be a lot more dead people than there are. That being said, poor judgement or errors do happen but its my feeling that in most of the situations I've seen the supposed victim does not obey orders or comply with instructions. So, if we take away poor judgement and mistakes and combine that with the victims not complying, it seems that we have fewer instances of police not being interested in peoples rights.

And, I am not in law enforcement nor do I have any close friends or relatives in that business, however, I'd be more concerned with being safe and making others safe than worrying about peoples rights. From my view, we all have rights, nobody is trying to take them away, and I know I wouldn't hesitate to call a cop for help, I wouldn't even consider he/she wasn't going to do whats right. I would be bold enough to think that somewhere between 95 and 98% of law enforcement are good decent people doing the right thing in a difficult profession. I would also be bold enough to say that maybe only 90% of other folks in other professions or no profession are decent people. Thats where the problem lies, with the 10% of society that suck.

Your perception is the exception, not the rule. Of course, I'm not a minority so I probably have a different outlook because I'm a privleged white man that is always treated fairly and never profiled as a suspect or criminal.  Yet every time I've been encountered by a police officer, they have been professional but they are always direct and take no bs (giving or taking). Its the way they are trained and many may have superior attitudes, thats not for us to challenge, thats for us to accept and respect, both them and the law. 

Edited by Highlander1

Number One Problem: Many cops were not the smartest in their High School Class.

Number Two Problem: Many do not have an education beyond High School.

Number Three Problem: Many of them have fascist tendencies just cause they are allowed to to carry a gun, and the average citizen is not.

Number Four Problem: Most are Idiots.