PSegnatelli

Battery packs & light setup.

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I'm not too savy on electronic stuff.  So I need some guidance.   Here's my plan, tell me if it's G2G or just wrong.  

Submersible LED light.  Has clips for a car battery. 

even the powewheels size batteries are kinda heavy when I'm trudging along. I'm on foot and lighter is better

6033a6b3bbd5f_Capture_2021-02-21-14-36-40.png.e09fbb519899f4f53ba490af13fcf5d1.png

My plan is to use my battery pack jumpstart gizmo to power the light. 

not this exact model but similar6033a771bd9d3_Capture_2021-02-22-07-44-38.png.9704e6d6042071e0d55985c59b124187.png

I saw these alligator clips that go into a USB port.  I have a few of the Anker battery packs shown.  

would the Anker battery. Clips run the light?  Or could I cut the clips off both, splice the USB to the light cord and run it directly?

6033a6c24aecb_Capture_2021-02-22-07-35-03.png.afe351093f7155581c2d903528af4c08.png6033a6d9c85a8_Capture_2021-02-22-07-35-38.png.20b7c0865319fb71c4d02975eec7b8c2.png

Think it will work?  I have the light & batteries already. Would just need the $6 clip

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Think it will work?  I have the light & batteries already. Would just need the $6 clip

It will work but for how long?

Buy the clip and check at home for how long it will work.

If you don't like time send it back.

I pretty sure it'll light the light but not sure on safety side of it.  Seen too many videos of Lithium batterys going aflame.   But my concern level isn't high enough that I'm completely against trying it.  If that makes sense.  

As far as longevity. I have multiple packs. If I got a few hours from a pack I'd be happy.  

I'd have to weigh the packs vs 1 small 12v battery. I think they're 5lbs +     

In the end I just wanna hump the least amount of weight as I can. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got the light.   Holy balls is that thing bright!20210223_112244.jpg.6740d2030c00283d8032fbea1de63eed.jpg20210223_112235_HDR.jpg.23f211e491cb81534853503baaf10a45.jpg20210223_112307.jpg.d2d2b5cebd2d732bfbf001e61cb2a748.jpg

Ive got it hooked up to my car jumper with a timer.  I want to see if there is any concerning heat and how long will it go.  I'm checking every halfhour. 

So far. Zero heat and battery pack full after 1hr.  

I should get the USB gator clip tommorrow or the next day.  

Eta.  3hrs in.  Light not as bright but still pretty bright.  Battery down to almost empty. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

4 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Why do you need that much crap? A simple headlamp around your neck is all you need 3 AAA batteries an that’s it 

Be vewy vewy quiet..... he's squid huntin.

46 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Why do you need that much crap? A simple headlamp around your neck is all you need 3 AAA batteries an that’s it 

Squid!  

I hate headlamps. Usually bring a small penlight. 

Never done it so gonna give it a go. 

58 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Squid!  

I hate headlamps. Usually bring a small penlight. 

Never done it so gonna give it a go. 

Hand truck , car battery LED lights. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Hand truck , car battery LED lights. 

Why? When I can accomplish the same thing with batteries the size of a smart phone?

I'm at 3.5hrs RN. My battery pack isn't showing a charge but the light is still going brighter than my LED lantern. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

5 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Got the light.   Holy balls is that thing bright!20210223_112244.jpg.6740d2030c00283d8032fbea1de63eed.jpg20210223_112235_HDR.jpg.23f211e491cb81534853503baaf10a45.jpg20210223_112307.jpg.d2d2b5cebd2d732bfbf001e61cb2a748.jpg

Ive got it hooked up to my car jumper with a timer.  I want to see if there is any concerning heat and how long will it go.  I'm checking every halfhour. 

So far. Zero heat and battery pack full after 1hr.  

I should get the USB gator clip tommorrow or the next day.  

Eta.  3hrs in.  Light not as bright but still pretty bright.  Battery down to almost empty. 

Looks like a winner as long as the power supply doesn't explode and catch on fire. Where you gonna hang the thing?

The USB adapter might be a problem.

A USB "A" connector is rated to handle half an amp at 5VDC.

Your application is probably using 12VDC at around 3/4 amp if the specs listed with the lamp are accurate. It might work, it might not.

If you need a quick disconnect connector replace the alligator clips with a pair of molex connectors, or even a household light plug and plug cap.

Otherwise just stick with the alligator clips and tape them in plastic bags.

The battery isn't likely to be a problem (if you keep it dry).

It is designed for jump starting, which would incur a much higher current load. 

38 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Looks like a winner as long as the power supply doesn't explode and catch on fire. Where you gonna hang the thing?

Well I have this paint roller pole that goes out to 12ft.  I have a dip net on it for crabs and stuff.  I took the roller arm and made a curly q.   

My thoughts are goto the jetty. Wedge the pole in the rock and dangle the lamp in the water.    From a pier I would just drop down.  

24 mins ago, Caveman8 said:

The USB adapter might be a problem.

A USB "A" connector is rated to handle half an amp at 5VDC.

Your application is probably using 12VDC at around 3/4 amp if the specs listed with the lamp are accurate. It might work, it might not.

If you need a quick disconnect connector replace the alligator clips with a pair of molex connectors, or even a household light plug and plug cap.

Otherwise just stick with the alligator clips and tape them in plastic bags.

The battery isn't likely to be a problem (if you keep it dry).

It is designed for jump starting, which would incur a much higher current load. 

Thank u.  This is the stuff that confuses me.  

22 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Well I have this paint roller pole that goes out to 12ft.  I have a dip net on it for crabs and stuff.  I took the roller arm and made a curly q.   

My thoughts are goto the jetty. Wedge the pole in the rock and dangle the lamp in the water.    From a pier I would just drop down.   

Neat...mind my asking what the goal is? I saw another thread where they were talking about using lights to fish for squid, does this have anything to do with that? Are we trying to attract baitfish? What is the plan?