Grayson Everett

New To Freshwater Fishing Need Help.

14 posts in this topic

I'm an experienced saltwater angler but brand new to freshwater. I want to give freshwater a try because there is a lake close to my school so I could go there after school a few times a week. So far the freshwater gear I have bought is an abu garcia vengeance rod and black max baitcast reel. I also got a few sinkers, roboworms, senko worms, owner hooks for Texas rig and Carolina rig. And gamamatsu hooks to wacky rig the worms. Also got an all chrome super spook and a daiwa db minnow jerk bait. This was all sold to me(except rod and reel) from my local tackle shop. My question is basically how to fish these and in what situation should I fish the following setups: wacky rig, Texas rig, Carolina rig and dropshot. When should i use one over the other? And what techniques should I use to fish these setups? I am hoping by the time I go this weekend and possibly even tomorrow I have enough info to at least have an idea of what i am doing and not just wing it. I will be fishing Greenwood Lake if anyone can give me any tips about the lake. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Grayson Everett said:

will be fishing Greenwood Lake if anyone can give me any tips about the lake. Thanks.

Is that lake greenwood in S.C.?

buy some soft platic swimbaits-   they catch everything.  Greenwood lake is a highway in the summer time with "pleasure boaters".... never caught much outta there

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/22/2021 at 1:59 AM, Grayson Everett said:

I'm an experienced saltwater angler but brand new to freshwater. I want to give freshwater a try because there is a lake close to my school so I could go there after school a few times a week. So far the freshwater gear I have bought is an abu garcia vengeance rod and black max baitcast reel. I also got a few sinkers, roboworms, senko worms, owner hooks for Texas rig and Carolina rig. And gamamatsu hooks to wacky rig the worms. Also got an all chrome super spook and a daiwa db minnow jerk bait. This was all sold to me(except rod and reel) from my local tackle shop. My question is basically how to fish these and in what situation should I fish the following setups: wacky rig, Texas rig, Carolina rig and dropshot. When should i use one over the other? And what techniques should I use to fish these setups? I am hoping by the time I go this weekend and possibly even tomorrow I have enough info to at least have an idea of what i am doing and not just wing it. I will be fishing Greenwood Lake if anyone can give me any tips about the lake. Thanks.

I don't use Carolina rigs, I Texas rig plastics but fish them weightless. Wacky Rig thrown near cover and structure just let it drop  Drop Shot effective deeper structure. plastics work all year round great in the summer when things are slow. Get a BLK/SILVER Rebel popper $6 for early mourning and evenings. Jerks are considered a cool weather bait like Spring and Fall, but you can use them all year round its all about the size and retrieve speed. I normally throw one if I see bait and boils during the evenings. Find cover or structure and use it all see what catches.

Edited by nfnDrum

I loved living in SC further 80’s. 
In general, find smaller water. Ponds, creeks, smaller rivers will all be found n and rewarding.  Someday, you may see a nightcrawler swim past you. Then you’ll know exactly how  to a rubber worm. 
Try real worms!  Anything works - crickets, grasshoppers, frogs, crayfish (sorry, crawdads). Buy some spoons (like DareDevils). Fishing is fishing. Small bucktails work. Go with light tackle and be a kid. 
Bottom-fish for catfish. There a stripers in SC. Trout, too. 

IMO add a ned rig (zman) to your arsenal, 99% of the year that's what is tied to the rod that stays in the back of my car for those 30 min to 1 hr session to/from work. Can't go wrong with a green pumpkin ticklerZ.

Take a saltwater spinner,,,,,:) get live minnows or chicken livers cast it out,,,,,:beatin: and when you're playing around with the other stuff maybe you will get the big one,,,,,,,:laugh:

On 2/22/2021 at 1:59 AM, Grayson Everett said:

What is your freshwater arsenal so far?

Are you good with baitcaster reels or just getting started?

Curious what grade your in?

Posted (edited) · Report post

One of my favorite ways to fish and one of the best beginner bass fishing rigs IMO is a Texas rigged worm. Lots of good options in terms of soft plastic worms but definitely take a look at Berkeley Powerbait Powerworms and similar products by zoom. It’s also important to note that you can fish the same setup with craw and creature style baits. 

You will want to Texas rig whatever bait you use and have a bullet weight sliding right up to the eye. Cast it out, let it sink to the bottom, and slowly lift your rod tip towards the sky. This will cause the bait to slide, or “crawl” along the bottom. You can also hop the bait off the bottom or swim it, but I prefer to crawl my baits. When you do get a bite, wait a second or two then set the hook hard. Since the hook on a Texas rig is embedded in the plastic, you’ll want to make sure it comes out properly. 

In the future, I would highly recommend you get a 2000-3000 size spinning reel and a matching rod to fish lighter baits with. My most productive bass fishing lure I use is a weightless zoom fluke. Just let it sink, twitch your rod to make it dart, and repeat. Deadly. 

You mentioned having some roboworms. While I have not used them personally, I know many people love em to death and I hear that they are some of the best drop shot worms available on the market. Drop shot is another rig you’ll want to check out in the future once you get a spinning setup. 

Nothing beats getting out on the water and practicing. Keep us updated on your catches, and if you have any more questions let us know. The gentlemen on here will provide you with top tier knowledge, and I’ve learned so much. 

Tight lines! 
CF

Edited by coastalfreak

I think it would be best to keep things simple just starting out. 

These presentations and lure types will be productive and help you get a feel for FW fishing bass.

Wacky rigged and weightless Texas rigged senko. You can use these presentations any where and any time; Texas rigged weightless senko for weeds, pads, cover, and wacky rig anywhere else.

Spinnerbaits cover water and depths, you can also use them in weedy snag filled areas. Play with retrieve speed to see what the fish want.

Bass jigs. When you know where the fish are no lure stays in the strike zone longer.

Crankbaits cover water and depths, they are more suspectable to snags though.

Weighted Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, and drop shots are good techniques, but not stuff I would recommend to a beginner.

Get some of the dartspins, the dumbest lure, with the best success. You’ll catch any predator on it. Best of both worlds- realistic color and feeling as well as the thumping of the blade.

Assume you're bank fishing. Start out with the Carolina rig or Texas rig and either of the worms you purchased. Try to feel depth changes, get familiar with the grass line, shaded areas, and the color line. I would throw the jerkbait now; the walking bait will work post spawn.