Frankie429

Throwing Tin at night?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2021 at 1:59 PM, Highlander1 said:

Tins and metals like Kastmasters and Hopkins can be deadly at night. Specifically in wind conditions (in yer' face) with lots of white water, and if you can add a teaser. Amazing that fish can even locate it in those conditions but they do. Poppers at night in bad water can also be rewarding.

Ive had fish on teasers in some of the roughest conditions possible...It is crazy that they can see it.My theory is they see the jig then notice the teaser..

At night, everything works a certain percentage of the time, poppers & tins included.... 

For me, plugs & rubber out fish tins at night a much greater percentage of the time & is the corner I put my money in when playing the odds....

I'll only invest more time with night time tins if I'm trying to get over the bar or punching thru the wind & other things I tried aren't getting the job done first.....

The misconception that tins dont work at night has alot to do with retrieve speed.  Choosing the right tin at night is different than choosing the right tin during the day and although its less a rule than a guide, I find a tin that engages its action at a slower retrieve with a slower sink rate are the right choice for the tin approach at night.  Slow down the reteieve and fish lighter tins.   I also like thicker and longer tied feathers on the rear hook as they help slow the sink rate and also decrease the speed of retrieve required to get the tin moving.   If you paint them different colors, I find they dont fish all that differently from a needlefish....with a quicker pace none the less that bass often love.   Charlie graves make some nice lighter tins that still have a bigger profile if that's what the prevalent bait calls for.  

It's not about hurling a 3 oz castmater or Hopkins...there's more subtlety to fishing a tin that requires choosing the right size, weight an dimensions to fish the tin properly at night.  

Also consider the productivity of tins in the early years when the atom 40 was the revolution of the day....tins in the right hands worked then and they surely still do, at night.

Edited by DeepBlue85

I'm comfortable with the Pt Jude Black Pogee. I have had good sessions in the dark. Mostly very early AM when the sand eels are about. Not so good luck with a Diamond Jig and black tube .I like that combo in dirtier water, but do try to avoid dirty water in the first place.

Scan_20191104.png.8ada46ddba4dfe54aedc28241d1fc571.pngBack in the late 70's and early 80's tins became popular at Montauk. Painted tins became popular. Even Danny Pichney created some. A few years back I wanted to go old school so rigged up my old Fenwick and tried a tin on a windy rough day in Rhode Island and actually caught a bass, not a big bass but  a nice fish about 6 pounds. I shook it off and watched it swim off.  It was truly a lot of fun.

Here are  a few of Danny's tins from that era. 

100_8029.JPG.cee626cad9ac312f0108b187b0599f16.JPG

Edited by Ted Pietz

On 2/22/2021 at 7:52 AM, mazisama said:

Metals are my lure of choice during fall and winter. 

When I look at your posts - your avatar covers 1/2 of your post.

1 hour ago, Paul E said:

When I look at your posts - your avatar covers 1/2 of your post.

I did on my phone, I will fix it with my computer tonight. Thanks for letting me know. Tight line in the spring hunt.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/21/2021 at 10:20 PM, Frankie429 said:

I don't understand why there is a misconception about throwing tins/diamond jigs at night. I have had a lot of success at night with them. I feel like if sand eels are around its a no brainer...

A few years ago I was fishing overnight on a sand eel beach. I was throwing a Bomber into a little bit of a head wind when I got a wind knot.

After I got rid of the knot I put on a deadly dick so I could bomb a cast then put some tension on the line as I reeled in quickly to reset the line on the reel. While I was reeling it, the deadly dick repeatedly got hit.

Just for fun, I cast out the deadly dick a few more times, either with a quick retrieve or a slower one, I got a few hits and landed a handful of stripers.

I believe it was a full moon night when this happened so the moonlight flashing off the metal was definitely an attractant.

Nowadays I'll always try metal, either a kastmaster or a thin lure like a deadly dick, if the sky is clear, and there's some moonlight or ambient (artificial) light nearby.

Edited by zak-striper

On 3/2/2021 at 11:03 AM, Ted Pietz said:

Here are  a few of Danny's tins from that era. 

100_8029.JPG.cee626cad9ac312f0108b187b0599f16.JPG

That first one looks like Charlie Graves

Edited by Popasilov

4 hours ago, Popasilov said:

That first one looks like Charlie Graves

The tail wrap on the black and white one tells me its Pichney. It is the same as the way he tied for his plugs.  The white and tan tube with feathers is another design of his. I'm not 100% sure about the plain tube with yellow head.

Edited by Ted Pietz

19 mins ago, Ted Pietz said:

The tail wrap on the black and white one tells me its Pichney. It is the same as the way he tied for his plugs.

Tail wrap is not Charlie Graves but tin for sure looks like one of Charlie's J version.