Frankie429

Throwing Tin at night?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I don't understand why there is a misconception about throwing tins/diamond jigs at night. I have had a lot of success at night with them. I feel like if sand eels are around its a no brainer...

I found a lot of guys doing it this year. I am not a fan myself but I saw it work well for a few guys. Any large fish on metal at night? Maybe a misconception I have.

I always carry some black or red tins at night in addition to an ava w/black tube.  My favorite is the black knight by pt jude.  Best fish on a night time tin is 36".  

I would throw tins with one rod and dead stick with another to cover all the bases..I like to throw tins or metals as a form of exercise.. It keeps me in shape allowing me to have the body of a merdonas... 

Throwing tins at night turned me into a surf casting addict almost immediately. Years ago, drinking some beers at my buddy’s new house in Sound Beach, he  said let’s go fishing and grabbed a dusty cheap old rod and some old diamond  jigs and we walked the beach casting. Suddenly he’s yelling at me that he has something on and his rod is doubled over. I run over to him thinking he caught a log or something and he’s yelling that he had a huge fish on. Neither of us had ever landed a Striped Bass from the beach. After 10-15 minutes he beaches a nice 40” + fish. We couldn’t believe the size of it!!! Lol.....and from then on, I was fishing 5 trips a week. 

I still don’t throw tins at night too often.

I've gotten away from throwing tins at night, but have had success with them in the past. Gonna put it on my fishing 'to do' list.

I had 1 night in Maine, at a river mouth, where my buddy was catching many fish and I was just casting everything in my bag w no success. When I clipped on the Deadly Dick I started catching too. After many similar experiences, I really don't know why I've gotten away from tins at night....I think it's because they need a faster retrieve for their weight than some other lures

Tins and metals like Kastmasters and Hopkins can be deadly at night. Specifically in wind conditions (in yer' face) with lots of white water, and if you can add a teaser. Amazing that fish can even locate it in those conditions but they do. Poppers at night in bad water can also be rewarding.

13 hours ago, Bdemiri23 said:

I found a lot of guys doing it this year. I am not a fan myself but I saw it work well for a few guys. Any large fish on metal at night? Maybe a misconception I have.

I personally landed a 20 pounder last fall at night, and my buddy landed a 30 the same night. Both were at the end of extremely far casts as well. Im not saying its the best choice but I wouldn't be so quick to shy away from tin at night. It should be considered another weapon 

I do well with the dark green tubes, But I really like painting them black and removing the tube and replacing it with a 7/0 Mustad dressed with black and purple bucktail. But its probably more or less a confidence thing

I keep it simple just red or black.  The only tube or two that I carry has a black tube.  I'll carry more of a variety (profile and weight) of tins and all have either bucktail or a saddle hackle feathers.

I have some black tins that will throw at night in bigger wind and surf when other plugs are struggling.  Always a tough choice between them and a bucktail.

Tins would match thinner profile baits if theyre around. Usually sandeels and spearring when theyre around. But theyre not the first lure out of my bag unless I'm fishing a certain spot that has a bar further out that a bucktail or plug cant reach. Even then its needlefish first then maybe a diamond jig / tin. But there have been nights where the only consistent fish have only been on diamond jigs.

Also anyone have any luck using glow in the dark jigs for nighttime bass? I have a couple I use for boat jigging but never made them work off the surf at night.