Fitzy

Winter time Eagles

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I saw a pair of eagles yesterday in SE mass.  I was really surprised to see them in the dead of winter.  Is this normal?  It was a juvenile an an adult perched in a tree on the eel river in Plymouth.  I wish I got a picture with them in the snow covered tree.

7 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

Best time of the year to see them IMO. , the Ct. river is alive with them.

Hard to believe, but they will be on the nest within days, if they're not already. :th:

I’ve seen a few a handful of times in estuaries around buzzards bay, but always during the summer.  I figured they followed the same migratory pattern as ospreys.  I’m shocked that they’ll be on nest soon.

it’s odd that they’re like gulls around parts of the Chesapeake and Alaska, but I’ve only seen them in New England a few times a year.

They are also Chu regulars in spring and fall when I'm fishing there. Undoubtedly there in winter too. 

Depending on where you are, they can be common in winter.

They congregate along the Merrimack River in winter and some travel up the Nashua from there.

They also hang around Wachusett res. I've wondered if the ones from the Merrimack travel back and forth between there and the res along the Nashua. 

We always have a couple around Ayer every winter.

Yesterday in the eastern ma bird group on FB somebody posted a cool sequence of an eagle catching a merganser off the water.

7 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Depending on where you are, they can be common in winter.

They congregate along the Merrimack River in winter and some travel up the Nashua from there.

I lived down the street from the Merrimack in Tyngsboro for a couple years and there were several nests in the general area. I remember late one winter an adult startled me when he took off from the snowy ground with a large limb in tow for his nest. Huge bird, but still impressive how he got airborne with that heavy branch

Spotted a few adults and some juveniles pretty regularly. They appeared to be quite at home living and hunting on the Mack.

For the last couple weeks every time I drive across the Sunderland bridge and look upstream to first island there’s been an eagle on a nest. Even with snow as a backdrop the head still stands out.

Saw one going after some sort of duck the other day.. didn’t see how it ended but the duck wasn’t going down easy.

Pioneer valley has become almost lousy with them. It’s amazing watching them go after something. When I’m walking my dog anywhere along the river I keep an eye to the sky. She’s not tiny but would be short work for a motivated eagle. 

22 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I’ve seen a few a handful of times in estuaries around buzzards bay, but always during the summer.  I figured they followed the same migratory pattern as ospreys.  I’m shocked that they’ll be on nest soon.

it’s odd that they’re like gulls around parts of the Chesapeake and Alaska, but I’ve only seen them in New England a few times a year.

Many of them are migrating but they are migrating from further north. I'm at the mouth of the CT river and the majority of our eagles are winter residents. They come down from north where everything is iced over. Usually around April/May they head back north. 

As noted, they are seen at the ‘ Chu during the winter. We had one on Big Chauncy in Westboro a few weeks ago and another was down around the Edgemere section of Lake Quinsig...

Ive been seeing them several times a week on the watuppa pond in Fall River on my drive home from work. Theres an active nest along rt 24 right on the shore line of the watuppa thats been there for years.