Seabassplug

Bob Hahn needlefish

59 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, Seabassplug said:

I never seen any until last month, anyone knows when were they made and for how long? Anyone fish them? Any input appreciated

932AED28-4E99-49D0-894A-802FF2578B66.jpeg

He made them for many years. That appears to be of the new ones as he changed the shape a little over the years. I have not fished any of them but I do have a bunch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, eelbasher said:

He made them for many years. That appears to be of the new ones as he changed the shape a little over the years. I have not fished any of them but I do have a bunch. 

Nice thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Seabassplug said:

I never seen any until last month, anyone knows when were they made and for how long? Anyone fish them? Any input appreciated

932AED28-4E99-49D0-894A-802FF2578B66.jpeg

He started making lures in 1986, moved to FL in the 90s and stopped making them. In 2008 he started again, theyre good lures in my opinion but the Cleacoat and paint doesn't last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thats a nice one ive always loved Hahn stuff..The first wooden plug I ever bought was a Bob Hahn 3oz Surfster .I had no clue what i was doing and i would bring it with me everywhere fishing it during the day in random places.And i still have it..

Edited by IslandSurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, IslandSurf said:

Thats a nice one ive always loved Hahn stuff..The first wooden plug I ever bought was a Bob Hahn 3oz Surfster .I had no clue what i was doing and i would bring it with me everywhere fishing it during the day in random places.And i still have it..

Bob's surfster's were the first metal lips I bought as a kid. To this day I fish his plugs. They catch...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first ran into them in Tackle Shops along the Jersey Shore mid 80's. They were retaining for $6.00. Surfster-Danny-Atom 1oz examples were the first I encountered. Larger sizes followed along with Needles. There was a old timer who operated a shop in Normandy Beach that was a family friend of Bob's. He told me that Bob's father had originated the designs utilizing the "Spinner Blade" lip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe Bob has passed, he built almost every lure there was from needles to poppers to surfsters. I still love his 5" Surfster in brown sparkle over yellow. Only issue with his stuff were that they all got waterlogged after a couple years and never swam like they did before they took on water. Great local NJ builder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, XBMX said:

I first ran into them in Tackle Shops along the Jersey Shore mid 80's. They were retaining for $6.00. Surfster-Danny-Atom 1oz examples were the first I encountered. Larger sizes followed along with Needles. There was a old timer who operated a shop in Normandy Beach that was a family friend of Bob's. He told me that Bob's father had originated the designs utilizing the "Spinner Blade" lip.

Was the old timer you refer to named Ernie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, MorningWood said:

Picked up a gem yesterday

P1250423.JPG

P1250424.JPG

Nice! I used to have a signed pencil but I sold it to Lenny, Bobs brother. Figured it was better in his hands than mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.