An entirely speculative boat question

Rate this topic

BrianBM

That first video does make a nice case for weight and twin inboards (the Sea Ray would be gas, I think?) in bad water .... and those kayakers. What on Earth were they thinking?  Wannabe Aleuts?

@CWitek, you mentioned in another thread that yours might be the only Ocean Master with twin inboards ever made. One of these years, I'll come visit you, just to see.

Now, while pissing away my imaginary millions, I'll go see what's become of the attempt to revive Cabo boats. One of the big yacht makers bought the brand, I forget which one. Viking?

20 hours ago, BrianBM said:

@CWitek, you mentioned in another thread that yours might be the only Ocean Master with twin inboards ever made. One of these years, I'll come visit you, just to see.

It was definitely the first--they had to hire a marine architect to figure out how to build it, after they had offered the option for years--and Ocean Master referred two or three people to me as a reference, but as far as I kinow, none of them pulled the trigger.

And yes, one day, you might want to come down.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I just bought a 32' Sea Vee.  Getting too old for the 25 footer anymore.  I still like to run offshore and this one will get me there and home almost regardless of conditions.  Personally I love center consoles, have since my dad bought a 1969 Sea Craft brand new.  Would I own a 40-50' center, probably not, but I sure love it when I run offshore in someone else's.  The 44' Contender is a beast!

Is it too much to ask to just breathe, be able to walk and go fishing?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 10:39 AM, nicknotsebastian said:

40 isn't even “that” big anymore :eek:

35-40 - i’d go with the new onslow bay 37.

I was absolutely blown away with the ride of the Onslow Bay 27 offshore. Kept bracing for the hull to slam, and it didn't. There are none up here north of Boston.... I think I should be in charge of a "demo" to help them sell more boats and extend their waiting list.....

37 mins ago, nightfighter said:

I was absolutely blown away with the ride of the Onslow Bay 27 offshore. Kept bracing for the hull to slam, and it didn't. There are none up here north of Boston.... I think I should be in charge of a "demo" to help them sell more boats and extend their waiting list.....

there’s one up near swampscot.  new last year.  can’t remember his name.  anyway - there’s a really long waiting list for that ...:)

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look just now at the Onslow site. If I really wanted a fast dayboat for shorter-time trips, that looks like a convincing lineup.

While looking at Onslow, I came across Mercury's announcement of a new large Verado: V-12, two speed transmission (low gear to get you up on plane, high to ease the engine's labors once you get there, 600 HP, $77,000 @.  Yikes.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, nightfighter said:

The flip side of a very deep vee is that when you're drifting, the boat will want to roll with enthusiasm. The Onslow boats, at least in the bigger sizes, have a dedicated space for a SeaKeeper gyro system, and the 41 at least has a genset to keep it spinning, but I suspect that the boat will still be notably roll-prone.

If you can run a sentry on an anchor line to moderate pitching when at anchor, perhaps you could run a sentry on the line to a drift sock, to moderate roll when drifting parallel to the waves. You'd want to make sure the attachment point is pretty hefty, though. Nightfighter, did you get to assess the drifting characteristics of the 27 when you took your demo ride?

The magazine reviews that were on line were pretty worthless. I'll have to go look at the Hull Truth for some user comments.

54 mins ago, BrianBM said:

The flip side of a very deep vee is that when you're drifting, the boat will want to roll with enthusiasm. The Onslow boats, at least in the bigger sizes, have a dedicated space for a SeaKeeper gyro system, and the 41 at least has a genset to keep it spinning, but I suspect that the boat will still be notably roll-prone.

If you can run a sentry on an anchor line to moderate pitching when at anchor, perhaps you could run a sentry on the line to a drift sock, to moderate roll when drifting parallel to the waves. You'd want to make sure the attachment point is pretty hefty, though. Nightfighter, did you get to assess the drifting characteristics of the 27 when you took your demo ride?

The magazine reviews that were on line were pretty worthless. I'll have to go look at the Hull Truth for some user comments.

this is the basic balance in general with bigger cc’s.  how far are you typically running and in what sort of seas?  what’s your usual fishing style (trolling?, drifting?, on anchor?).

seakeepers have made this tradeoff less absolute - depending on you’re budget.  if you’re looking at even “just” an onslow 27, i’m guessing you have some wiggle room :)

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Not so much.  Very low CG on a cc assuming you havn't ruined it with a big tower.  Even then....

I think the talk of rolling is way overblown.  There are a lot of ways to counter it, reverse chines and such, but to each his own.

But the seakeepers are nice.  Should be for what you will pay.  But, then again, this is a dream thread so....

I could definately tell the difference on a 61 viking when someone 'accidentally' turned it off.

Edited by makorider

5 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

this is the basic balance in general with bigger cc’s.  how far are you typically running and in what sort of seas?  what’s your usual fishing style (trolling?, drifting?, on anchor?).

seakeepers have made this tradeoff less absolute - depending on you’re budget.  if you’re looking at even “just” an onslow 27, i’m guessing you have some wiggle room :)

Ahhhh, I'm just teasing myself.

What put the flea in my ear was a thread and map that I can't now find. The thread showed the location of the Challenger Bank, and beyond that, a second bank notably farther off. The second bank was said to offer a shot at Atlantic Halibut.

I have fished off the Viking 5Star and various other Viking boats up 60-100 miles offshore, for tuna. The 5star can crank along at a good rate. Nonetheless, I don't think that it would suffice for the Challenger Bank, much less a place half again farther out (let me know if I'm wrong).  OTOH, if I had one of these monster CCs, on a bluebird day  ....  the Onslow Bay 41 is apparently a 60 MPH boat, with all that monstrous outboard power that it can handle.  That offers possibilities.

Onslow Bay builds its' boats on on the assumption that the owner/operator wants to compete in the Southern Kingfish Association. If you're hellbent on tournament competition, what do you want in a boat? Speed, I gather, to get offshore fast if that's where the bite is located. Live bait wells. What else?