mumichog

Heads Up On Vaccine Appts

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I just got scheduled for the first week in April.  The thing is this - I had my doc send in form and registered like everyone else.  Then got the VAMS scheduling email from the state.  I go through the whole process online and get to actual scheduling section and there are no appointments available anywhere in state!  That couldn't make sense, so I call 211.  I get a helpful National Guardsman who tells me they are completely bypassing the VAMS thing and using a Guard scheduling system.   He makes my appt and that was it.  Easy.  The problem is the email from the state did not say to call 211 and schedule appt, it said to go through VAMS, (the federal system that has been widely criticized).  I can see folks following the state email and going through VAMS then giving up for now because it says there are no appts available, when actually the state just added thousands of new openings a few days ago according to the Guard.

 

I don't understand why this is so complicated...

 

Bottom line - once your doc faxes in your form to state and you get email saying you're eligible to schedule appt for vaccine just call 211. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The leadership in my home state of Maine is disgusting.  I'm in Florida for three months, and because we have a rental agreement, we can me vaccinated down here.  

 

About a month ago on a Monday the county set up a phone system whereby you would call, provide a date of birth, email address and phone number.  Then you would be eligible as supplies came in.  It took about a half hour of busy signals but we eventually spoke to a polite live person who took our information.  By Wednesday we both had appointments for Friday, my wife at 9:00 and me at 3:30.   I went with my wife at 9:00 and asked a person there if I could switch my appointment time so I didn't have to come back.   No problem.  We both had our shots before 9:05.  This is Florida where it seems everyone is old, yet we were taken care of in 5 days with minimal effort.  Our second appointment was made at the first one.  We were both taken by 9:01 three weeks to the day later. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks 'chug for sharing.

I'm a Masshole dealing with the same issue.

Hopefully I try your strategy and see if it works here.

If it happens I'll report back.

I remember bumping into you several years back on the South 

Side of the Cape chasing Fat Albert.  Peace brother!  Fly

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MartyK said:

The leadership in my home state of Maine is disgusting.  I'm in Florida for three months, and because we have a rental agreement, we can me vaccinated down here.  

 

About a month ago on a Monday the county set up a phone system whereby you would call, provide a date of birth, email address and phone number.  Then you would be eligible as supplies came in.  It took about a half hour of busy signals but we eventually spoke to a polite live person who took our information.  By Wednesday we both had appointments for Friday, my wife at 9:00 and me at 3:30.   I went with my wife at 9:00 and asked a person there if I could switch my appointment time so I didn't have to come back.   No problem.  We both had our shots before 9:05.  This is Florida where it seems everyone is old, yet we were taken care of in 5 days with minimal effort.  Our second appointment was made at the first one.  We were both taken by 9:01 three weeks to the day later. 

 

That seems like the way it should be, straightforward, minimal effort and confusion.  

NH has scrapped the VAMS thing entirely because it was a disaster with scheduling, the very thing it was designed for!  Not a political statement but just a matter of fact - the stuff the Trump admin had tried to set up is a joke.  And that they wouldn't let the new admin get involved until Trump left is basically a crime.  That delay will cause people to die and get sick plain and simple.  We ought to expect better from all our so called  leaders, right or left.  It's up to Biden to kick vaccine ass now like he promised, albeit starting from scratch essentially. 

Edited by mumichog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used VAMS in NH, logged on the second it was available, I get my first shot Friday. My friend had a great idea - use Ticketmaster to do the scheduling! Unfortunately my wife is under 65 so no luck for her yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This process seems so broken. My parents struggled to get their appointments and by the time they did, were booked into late April. A friend also experienced this. However, he received a call last week and they got him in the next day moving his late Aprile appt up to last Thursday for his first shot. I told my parents to call after seeing this post. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I used VAMS in NH, logged on the second it was available, I get my first shot Friday. My friend had a great idea - use Ticketmaster to do the scheduling! Unfortunately my wife is under 65 so no luck for her yet...

Nice, so you get to go see Metallica, and on your way in, you get the vaccine? Love that idea! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My parents called 211 again and got a recorded message stating they will call you for any rescheduling of appointments. When they finally spoke to someone they pretty much stated the same thing and that there is no waiting list or order they are using to move people up. So while it is good that they are moving people up, they are not so transparent with how they are doing this or are changing the plans daily. Maybe even depends on who you talk to?

 

They had about a year to plan this out. They can blame each other, blame a party, or call it any part of it as unforeseeable that they want but we they had a year to plan this out. This pandemic as a whole should have taught us to expect the unexpected but does not seem we they have learned. 

 

Part of my line of work is to plan for disasters (mostly at legal and technical levels). Within tech, we can then automate and make processing decisions to optimize the one thing we cannot replace - time. We plan for thresholds to control and contain but also total disaster. Most processing comes back to costs and we govern decisions based on the priority of human life & safety with opportunities to improve. There is never a single plan and always a strategy to build in secondary abilities to account for the unknowns. 

 

However, it seems most of our decision makers have spent too much time in the spotlight to polish their egos over the planning that could have addressed these kinds of issues. Not trying to blame any one or party in particular but rather state that our whole system is failing. At some point, we will need to learn to leverage the private industry to obtain expertise rather than think that our government can solve complex problems. At the same time, we should be rating our leaders with terms that bind their direct performance to the objectives that they committed to when they were elected. Just like any job...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, NHAngler said:

My parents called 211 again and got a recorded message stating they will call you for any rescheduling of appointments. When they finally spoke to someone they pretty much stated the same thing and that there is no waiting list or order they are using to move people up. So while it is good that they are moving people up, they are not so transparent with how they are doing this or are changing the plans daily. Maybe even depends on who you talk to?

 

They had about a year to plan this out. They can blame each other, blame a party, or call it any part of it as unforeseeable that they want but we they had a year to plan this out. This pandemic as a whole should have taught us to expect the unexpected but does not seem we they have learned. 

 

Part of my line of work is to plan for disasters (mostly at legal and technical levels). Within tech, we can then automate and make processing decisions to optimize the one thing we cannot replace - time. We plan for thresholds to control and contain but also total disaster. Most processing comes back to costs and we govern decisions based on the priority of human life & safety with opportunities to improve. There is never a single plan and always a strategy to build in secondary abilities to account for the unknowns. 

 

However, it seems most of our decision makers have spent too much time in the spotlight to polish their egos over the planning that could have addressed these kinds of issues. Not trying to blame any one or party in particular but rather state that our whole system is failing. At some point, we will need to learn to leverage the private industry to obtain expertise rather than think that our government can solve complex problems. At the same time, we should be rating our leaders with terms that bind their direct performance to the objectives that they committed to when they were elected. Just like any job...

 

 

 

You are extremely well stated.  However, current government is continuing to develop a base of voters who will help them stay in office forever.  The majority of the older, hardworking, intelligent population who are getting screwed by government's inability to do what even some third world countries have been able to, are slowly dying off.  It's only going to get worse.  We're in a downward spiral.  I never thought getting old had many advantages, but I doubt I'll be around for the end, which is a good thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marty, the current Munsters family circus will not last long. I highly doubt that in 2024 will not change again. Just try to enjoy the show - after all, you are paying for it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Marty, the current Munsters family circus will not last long. I highly doubt that in 2024 will not change again. Just try to enjoy the show - after all, you are paying for it. 

 

 

From what I'm seeing now, the Three Stooges can't hold a candle to the government.  At least with the Stooges you had a choice whether or not you watched.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went in through VANs with no problems scheduling first shot and than second. Got my second shot yesterday exactly three weeks after the first shot. The distribution sites were very organized and professional. National Guard and nurses were great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, NHAngler said:

. At some point, we will need to learn to leverage the private industry to obtain expertise rather than think that our government can solve complex problems. At the same time, we should be rating our leaders with terms that bind their direct performance to the objectives that they committed to when they were elected. Just like any job...

 

That's what 'they' say - govt can't do it better than private business.  But compare NH where once the National Guard got involved vaccines have been much more rapidly distributed, to MA where they have insisted on using private industry and are by most accounts way behind schedule.  

 

I stopped by the Dover vaccine site just to see the workings, and like others have posted - the Guard members are on the ball, really keeping things moving.  They were well informed, friendly, and anxious to assist.  And maybe it was just my predisposition but they had a different vibe than private industry, no matter how well intentioned that private effort may be.  

 

Edited by mumichog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mumichog said:

That's what 'they' say - govt can't do it better than private business.  But compare NH where once the National Guard got involved vaccines have been much more rapidly distributed, to MA where they have insisted on using private industry and are by most accounts way behind schedule.  

 

I stopped by the Dover vaccine site just to see the workings, and like others have posted - the Guard members are on the ball, really keeping things moving.  They were well informed, friendly, and anxious to assist.  And maybe it was just my predisposition but they had a different vibe than private industry, no matter how well intentioned that private effort may be.  

 

Great point and I'm sure they are doing a good job. However, don't confuse the execution with planning. They do depend on each other but each have their place. Planning was a failure. Execution of a failed plan has little chance at success other than random luck. Even failed execution is just back to being a failed plan. 

 

Always, my comment regarding private industry was leading towards the government's inability to see beyond the landscape of politics and the checkboxes behind the scenes that consistently yield questionable and often low quality results. 

 

If you have had to file for unemployment in NH or MA this past year (and currently) their logistics and planning abilities can be fully understood from such an experience. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.