Trout spey

Rate this topic

Fergal

6 hours ago, pescaconDios said:

Addicting it is. I started with a 4 weight trout Spey (Sage One 4116) a couple years ago and now have to make myself take a one hand rod to fish for trout sometimes. I still enjoy the single handers once I get out there, but Spey casting is so much fun, even when I don’t catch fish.

Drew, what kind of casts are you working on so far?

Glad you are enjoying the two hand stuff.

My casting sucks, to put it mildly. Right now, pretty much just a snap t. I've tried the double spey but the head on my line is short and I blow the anchor. I still find the casting 'thing' somewhat confusing. 

I know I suck but the rod feels a little over loaded with what i have (Rio Trout Spey head @ 265gr). I just got 2 lighter headers @ 240. I will try those tomorrow.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

5 hours ago, Drew C. said:

My casting sucks, to put it mildly. Right now, pretty much just a snap t. I've tried the double spey but the head on my line is short and I blow the anchor. I still find the casting 'thing' somewhat confusing. 

I know I suck but the rod feels a little over loaded with what i have (Rio Trout Spey head @ 265gr). I just got 2 lighter headers @ 240. I will try those tomorrow.

Drew-  watch the Bill Lowe video on the double.  It makes it super simple.  I down loaded a couple of casting instructional videos when I first started so that if I was screwing up ( which I did mostly) I would watch and relearn.  I changed from a skagit line to a short spey line yesterday on my glass spey and everything completely fell apart.  I'm not lined correctly and I am so accustomed to the touch and go of skagit that I am embarassing.

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

This is an okish video  but it goes on a bit and misses the key point of where to actually place the anchor in a snap T and a double spey. If it is not in the right place the cast can become dangerous or you end up with a bloody L and a trashed cast.

Simon Gawesworth does a very good video on both the double spey and the snap T and importantly shows us where the anchor placement needs to be and what the outcome is if it’s not.

mike

Drew, don’t know if you have anyone who could give you a casting lesson, but I found an in-person lesson of a couple hours to be more valuable than hours of reading and watching videos. 

Granted, in-person anything is more challenging to find during the pandemic, but hopefully that continues to improve.

I took a few lessons directly from Simon G., as I was out the Portland way a couple years ago (he lives less than an hour north of Portland in SW Washington), and those lessons helped my casting immensely. I’m still not a great caster with the two handers, but I don’t suck anymore :-)

Not sure who would be the go-to two hand casting instructor in your area.

17 mins ago, pescaconDios said:

Drew, don’t know if you have anyone who could give you a casting lesson, but I found an in-person lesson of a couple hours to be more valuable than hours of reading and watching videos. 

Granted, in-person anything is more challenging to find during the pandemic, but hopefully that continues to improve.

I took a few lessons directly from Simon G., as I was out the Portland way a couple years ago (he lives less than an hour north of Portland in SW Washington), and those lessons helped my casting immensely. I’m still not a great caster with the two handers, but I don’t suck anymore :-)

Not sure who would be the go-to two hand casting instructor in your area.

I’ve taken one lesson, it was very helpful. I have another in 2-3 weeks. After that I’d probably take some private lessons too. 

Right now I can make some fishable casts, so that’s good. I have high expectations of myself based on my one handed level but I realize that’s unrealistic at this time as well. I do think that I’m close taking a decent step up. 

I also have to learn to fish wets. I’ve never done that before, so there’s a learning curve there too. 

in the end, new things are fun and the freshwater stuff has relit a fire that was out a little bit due to the state of the local saltwater fisheries. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

4 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve taken one lesson, it was very helpful. I have another in 2-3 weeks. After that I’d probably take some private lessons too. 

Right now I can make some fishable casts, so that’s good. I have high expectations of myself based on my one handed level but I realize that’s unrealistic at this time as well. I do think that I’m close taking a decent step up. 

I also have to learn to fish wets. I’ve never done that before, so there’s a learning curve there too. 

in the end, new things are fun and the freshwater stuff has relit a fire that was out a little bit due to the state of the local saltwater fisheries. 

Very cool. Glad you are enjoying it. As mentioned before, I’ve become somewhat addicted to Spey casting. Wait until you start doing some single Speys and snake rolls, it’s all downhill from there, ha.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Fishing wets and swinging streamers on the spey is currently my favorite type of fishing.  If I have the choice of swinging water or nymphing, I will pick swinging every time.  The key to the wet fishing is keeping the  fly swimming perpendicular to the current and no faster than the currrent.  The mend at the beginning is the key to this. The line stays tight and DON'T SET THE HOOK.  They will hook themselves.    I am really looking forward to my trip to the Beaverkill as i plan to do a lot of swinging in off places and off hours.

This **** is fricken fun... 

I spent most of the day with the trout spey in my hands. Had a few stockies at the end of the day to ward off the skunk. Dropped a couple of fish at a spot that probably weren't stockies. I'm still looking like a monkey screwin' a football when fishing wets. But, the casting was much better today. More than a few crappy casts, many fishable casts, and a few bangers that were damn near perfect (at least at this point in my 'career'). 

12 hours ago, Drew C. said:

This **** is fricken fun... 

I spent most of the day with the trout spey in my hands. Had a few stockies at the end of the day to ward off the skunk. Dropped a couple of fish at a spot that probably weren't stockies. I'm still looking like a monkey screwin' a football when fishing wets. But, the casting was much better today. More than a few crappy casts, many fishable casts, and a few bangers that were damn near perfect (at least at this point in my 'career'). 

You know when you do it right... then all you have to do is figure why you did it right....

I'm pretty much addicted to this thing at this point. I just need to get wets down. I muffed more than a few today. I did get my first likely wild fish today, two of them. That was nice. Back at it Tuesday, maybe tomorrow but I have a repair guy coming to the house. That might kill the day if he gets there in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I live 1 thousands miles from the first fishable trout river and still practicing casting a DH WT2 One Trout Spey....sometimes a crazy sargo falls...

Not its job but with a very light dh trout spey rod can easily fish with dry flies and overhead cast

IMG20171112124400.jpg

• 2 months later...

Update… this is an amazingly fun way to fish. At this point I have 3 outfits. 1&3wt Sage HD Trout Spey and a bit of a disappointing Meiser. 

The 1wt is an absolute blast to cast and fish. It’s my go to for wets and sifts.  I got this one because the Meiser did not work out as expected. Probably should have gotten this one from the start. 

The 3wt was my first. It’s also a fun rod. It took a little time to get it dialed in but it’s a blast with a integrated trout scandi type line. I use it for wets but fished streamers yesterday for the first time and it was fun and quite capable. 

The Meiser is a bit of a disappointment. I got it to be a 2wt(that’s what it’s ‘labeled’ as). After fishing the 3wt I wanted something a little lighter and more fun. Unfortunately, this rod does not throw as labeled. It’s a good bit higher. I fished it yesterday in hi flows with a 300gr trout skagit head and a 50/50 mow (int/t8) and the rod was very nice. I landed one ~20” trout that absolutely crushed a buck tail deceiver. 

Ive pretty much only fished the trout speys this year so far. Fishing is fun and casting is pretty much just as fun. My casting still sucks but pretty much every cast is fishable, some are good and a few bang out quite well.