Trout spey

Rate this topic

Fergal

Does anyone here do it? I've been thinking  about something like this, on & off for a while. Mike's post about the Igniter got me thinking again. As I try to move on from saltwater fishing and look for other fish to fish for I come to steelhead. While not close, there is obviously drivable fishing in the general area. As a bridge to something like that I'm considering something for trout since that's what I have access to at this time. I'm just starting to look and have very little clue. Any advice would be great.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Does anyone here do it? I've been thinking  about something like this, on & off for a while. Mike's post about the Igniter got me thinking again. As I try to move on from saltwater fishing and look for other fish to fish for I come to steelhead. While not close, there is obviously drivable fishing in the general area. As a bridge to something like that I'm considering something for trout since that's what I have access to at this time. I'm just starting to look and have very little clue. Any advice would be great.

Pulled the trigger on an echo 4wt trout spey last year with same thoughts^^^.  I have it rigged now but need to work on casting.  Seemes like it will be much more efficient for wade shallow water bay fishing.  

I used to trout fish but since I started fishing steelhead I feel like a child-molester fishing for "babies" when I fish for trout.

A 4-6 wt 2H could do double duty for both steelhead and trout but the longer rod dulls the fight of smaller fish.In those line weights I lean toward under 12'.

A lot of steelhead streams around the great lakes don't have significant resident trout populations but the ones in Mi I fish all do and I carry a SH rod w/ a sinking line in the driftboat for them.I save the TH for steelhead.

I've got 5 TH rods for 6 and 7 wt lines between 11'-12'6" and the 11',6wt sees,by far,the most action.

Drew,

There is single hand spey. I am learning how to do this. If I am allowed to say it is just an incredible way to cast. You can take most any and that includes the fastest stiffness Single hand 9 foot rods and Spey cast them. Rio do two lines a floater intouch  single hand spey and a 3 D sinking Spey line.

I cast these on a Sage One 6 wt which is just so well matched for me with the 6 wt single hand spey lines. The 6 wt Igniter also casts ok with them . A medium flex medium fast action rod works great to.

If you go and google up Rio and Spey Trout Simon Gawesworth does a great job explaining both single and double hand rods.

The two hand rods look seriously nice. I would go for a 3 wt which is about a single hand 6 wt.

Downside is that unless you fish  outside the box it is for most guys swinging or indicator nymphing with the  Two Hander.

Single hander not so you can dry fly as well. Plus you don’t need a speciality fly line to spey cast. Your bulk standard wf line will do.  Some better than others. Long front taper helps. Triangle taper. 

The Rio Spey lines can be cast overhead.

Why not fish dry flies with a very light two hander. The ability to throw lots of nice drag defeating slack is there for the taking.

I am learning a whole new ball game. Wish I was younger

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I have fished both one and trout hand spey/skagit for trout and definitely enjoy the single hand variety much better.

On the east coast there aren't a ton of options for water that's big enough to require a two-hand rod. With a single hand Skagit setup, you can fish a variety of ways, you aren't limited to just swinging. 

Beyond that, swinging for trout is just not a very good way to catch 'em. I have had a lot of success swinging for large Atlantic salmon in NY with an OPST Commando setup on a 6 weight. 

18 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Drew,

There is single hand spey. I am learning how to do this. If I am allowed to say it is just an incredible way to cast. You can take most any and that includes the fastest stiffness Single hand 9 foot rods and Spey cast them. Rio do two lines a floater intouch  single hand spey and a 3 D sinking Spey line.

I cast these on a Sage One 6 wt which is just so well matched for me with the 6 wt single hand spey lines. The 6 wt Igniter also casts ok with them . A medium flex medium fast action rod works great to.

If you go and google up Rio and Spey Trout Simon Gawesworth does a great job explaining both single and double hand rods.

The two hand rods look seriously nice. I would go for a 3 wt which is about a single hand 6 wt.

Downside is that unless you fish  outside the box it is for most guys swinging or indicator nymphing with the  Two Hander.

Single hander not so you can dry fly as well. Plus you don’t need a speciality fly line to spey cast. Your bulk standard wf line will do.  Some better than others. Long front taper helps. Triangle taper. 

The Rio Spey lines can be cast overhead.

Why not fish dry flies with a very light two hander. The ability to throw lots of nice drag defeating slack is there for the taking.

I am learning a whole new ball game. Wish I was younger

Mike

My 11' 6 wt that I built in '98 is usually used as a SH,mostly some variant of SH spey casting. It can cast SH OH reasonably well but it is really more of a roll casting machine for swinging streamers or running a float rig.I will ,on occasion,use a 2nd hand to unplug a sunk line or haul 60' of line from below me off the water to reset for a cast.

Dryfly? I don't know.There's a lot of racket and hard/loud landings w/ any spey casting...maybe skating drys for steel through a choppy riffle where the hard landing is not so offensive? I know a few such places...

23 hours ago, slip n slide said:

I used to trout fish but since I started fishing steelhead I feel like a child-molester fishing for "babies" when I fish for trout.

A 4-6 wt 2H could do double duty for both steelhead and trout but the longer rod dulls the fight of smaller fish.In those line weights I lean toward under 12'.

A lot of steelhead streams around the great lakes don't have significant resident trout populations but the ones in Mi I fish all do and I carry a SH rod w/ a sinking line in the driftboat for them.I save the TH for steelhead.

I've got 5 TH rods for 6 and 7 wt lines between 11'-12'6" and the 11',6wt sees,by far,the most action.

Unfortunately, I don’t have close access to steelies. I think they’re the ultimate goal but for now I want to be able to do something where I can spend time on the water. 

Spring bass would probably be ideal in the local rivers but that’s out due to the state of the fishery. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

My name is John; I am a trout-spey-a-holic...

Right now, given my druthers, that is how I would prefer to fish.  I currently have a Beulah 12' 5 wt and two ( long story) Pieroway 11' 2" 4 wt glass trout speys.  I run the OPST 250 with the 80 grain tips in on the beulah and the OPST 200 with the 80 grain tips on on the glass.  It is super fun.  I am still a dry fly fisherman at heart, but spey/skagit is getting close.   The other REALLY fun part is adapting flies for swinging for trout.  These are some gartside intruders that I tied up for winter swinging.   They are effective.

gartruders.jpg

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

4 hours ago, slip n slide said:

My 11' 6 wt that I built in '98 is usually used as a SH,mostly some variant of SH spey casting. It can cast SH OH reasonably well but it is really more of a roll casting machine for swinging streamers or running a float rig.I will ,on occasion,use a 2nd hand to unplug a sunk line or haul 60' of line from below me off the water to reset for a cast.

Dryfly? I don't know.There's a lot of racket and hard/loud landings w/ any spey casting...maybe skating drys for steel through a choppy riffle where the hard landing is not so offensive? I know a few such places...

Slip n slide.

Ok two hand Trout Spey rods 2 or Wt. Dry fly it would be an overhead or side arm cast made with two hands. If I was a lover of lumping lots of gear around then I would do this with a wf std fly line with a nice long front taper. Hell it just a line in a wallet.

That would be my approach.To be limited to just swinging or bobber nymph fishing would not float my boat,

Mike

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Unfortunately, I don’t have close access to steelies. I think they’re the ultimate goal but for now I want to be able to do something where I can spend time on the water. 

Spring bass would probably be ideal in the local rivers but that’s out due to the state of the fishery. 

I'm not particularly  close myself,4 hrs to get to the closest steelhead stream but 7-8 hr for me to fish N Mi and NY and 12-14hrs for some places in Canada.

Before the invasives when the fishing was so amazing I drove 50-60k/yr chasing them,fished 5 states in the GL and Canada,6 licenses/yr.

When I was still fishing SB I was driving to CC 2x/yr and that was 15hrs,M was 13 hrs,Jersey 9 hrs,Conn/RI,13-14 hrs,etc...

An 11' 4-6wt could be very utilitarian as you could do bass,trout and steelhead w/ it.