doublegregg

can i fish spoons for panfish when most others use bait

32 posts in this topic

tysm lads.... i'll try some beetlespins, etc... sounds like combining bait/gulp/grub with a little spinner is like a universal appetizer for fish...  i'll give it a try!

Small metals, twist tail grubs, tube jigs, maribou, etc. I often fish them under a bobber, I used to cut the foam ones like a popper float, I usually go with the Thill type lately. Tipping them with a wax worm or mealworm or cricket or similar ups the numbers.

I have good success with blade type baits and the johnson thinfisher comes in a 1/4 oz size.  I also recommend the beetle spins but I always use some type of curly tail grub.  

ty... curly tailed grub......  

i guess with a bobber, one is fishing somewhat near shore, letting the bobber put action on the plastics? sounds like small spoons included in the bobber set up....  hadn't considered that.. 

I also use a bobber when panfishing much like one would use a casting egg in the salt. I have an old topwater with the hooks taken off. The added weight gives some casting distance when trying to cast those 1/32 jigs with the mister twisters.8544C8AF-0A05-4382-8C53-00AD9458B48E.jpeg.4a757fb86a58a62936ffc9efc37bf194.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, wrboz said:

I also use a bobber when panfishing much like one would use a casting egg in the salt. I have an old topwater with the hooks taken off. The added weight gives some casting distance when trying to cast those 1/32 jigs with the mister twisters.8544C8AF-0A05-4382-8C53-00AD9458B48E.jpeg.4a757fb86a58a62936ffc9efc37bf194.jpeg

that's a nice lure, wr...   

i haven't used a bobber yet.... but know they are suggested as a good way to catch panfish and i guess trout... does one have to be careful about the PLOP of the bobber spooking fish? or do you over cast the area, and then bring it in slowly.... i guess i'd tend to do that...

Edited by doublegregg

5 hours ago, wrboz said:

Nice.   I do similar with a crippled killer and a fly ( olive and orange woolly bugger).  I tie the bug about 18 inch in front of the killer on a 6 inch drop.  Leave hooks on the killer.  Probably 50/50 as to what gets hit.  (I fish mainly a shallow water creek for SMB and panfish).

Doublegregg; I never gave it much thought, but I guess for panfish, I cast beyond them. The bluegills, etc are generally pretty close to shore where I fish. Panfish can be pretty loud when they’re sucking insects off the surface, so don’t overthink a bobber landing.

A lot of times bass will hit a lure as soon as it splashes down, so I don’t think it matters as much to them, although it really depends on their mood.

Even so, I generally wouldn’t intentionally splash a bobber down in the the middle of a school of fish in shallow water.

Also, if you’re fishing for trout, don’t cast beyond them. Start close and move out as you go. Sometimes just the line passing over them can spook them.

3 hours ago, wrboz said:

Doublegregg; I never gave it much thought, but I guess for panfish, I cast beyond them. The bluegills, etc are generally pretty close to shore where I fish. Panfish can be pretty loud when they’re sucking insects off the surface, so don’t overthink a bobber landing.

A lot of times bass will hit a lure as soon as it splashes down, so I don’t think it matters as much to them, although it really depends on their mood.

Even so, I generally wouldn’t intentionally splash a bobber down in the the middle of a school of fish in shallow water.

Also, if you’re fishing for trout, don’t cast beyond them. Start close and move out as you go. Sometimes just the line passing over them can spook them.

ty, wrboz, for the reply....

15 hours ago, doublegregg said:

that's a nice lure, wr...   

i haven't used a bobber yet.... but know they are suggested as a good way to catch panfish and i guess trout... does one have to be careful about the PLOP of the bobber spooking fish? or do you over cast the area, and then bring it in slowly.... i guess i'd tend to do that...

I am careful. The type of bobber affects the plop.  

Those weighted popping corks bomb in.  The oblong cigar shaped don't as much.  The long euro style with the sticks at both ends are the quietest IMO.   

But time and place for everything. 

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I am careful. The type of bobber affects the plop.  

Those weighted popping corks bomb in.  The oblong cigar shaped don't as much.  The long euro style with the sticks at both ends are the quietest IMO.   

But time and place for everything. 

ty for the reply.... i looked and some of the long balsa wood ones look good...

as i said, i'm a newbie, returned to fishing after about 50 years... fishing in an urban 7 acre pond in northern california, not stocked, but supposedly has LMB, some native trout, idk what else.

i currently fish most of the time with a kastmaster, 1/12 oz, 4# test line. i like the light weight because it's easy to maneuver it thru the shallows, which has downed trees, limbs, and algae, and the size just seems right. i change location after several casts, and like how kastmasters let you work a large swath of water.  i fish this weight kastmaster most of the time; the rest of the time i may experiment with husky jerks, phoebe, sometimes a mepps. but i'm really intrigued by  the little kastmasters.  if i'm exclusively fishing the middle of the lake, i'll use a 1/4 oz kastmaster. 

so in a month of fishing there about 6 hours a week, i've latched onto two fish, i think LMB, both on a 1/12 oz kastmaster. wondering if folk can give their opinion on does it make sense to  stick with my working such a tiny kastmaster much of the time? i'm figuring if my 'technique' on it improves, it'll be a reliable way to fish.  

or is this really limiting myself and do i really need to include some variety?

tysm!

Edited by doublegregg

I have to catch panfish for catfish bait.  Wish I could get consistent result with lures but only in a couple places. My favorite is a 1/8 white rooster tail when I can. No other colors have worked.    I use worms usually, which I’d rather not keep.  Tried all the fake baits like Berkely.  Waste of time

for trout and bass;

try a couple other baits. Maybe a rapala countdown or mini rattle trap cast close to shore (not straight out)  and try to work the underwater terrain   Have fun!  
don’t overthink it.   Just pick a dozen lures that fit in a single flat $5 tackle box.  You sound good with the spoons.  Sinking/ floating rapalas in gold or silver. Beetle spin and spinners  couple of top waters . Zara puppy would be my choice. Jig heads with white or chartus grubs.   I’d throw in soft jerkbaits or swim baits but you’d need heavier rod and reel.  Here’s what I keep in the truck to experiment with new ponds.  My water is surely shallower 

Edited by Tsavo303