doublegregg

can i fish spoons for panfish when most others use bait

32 posts in this topic

i'm in california, fishing a couple unstocked small lakes (3 to 7 acres) near my house. so, urban, shore fishing. everyone is going for panfish, lmb, catfish, and the occasional trout (when they are stocked). almost everyone uses bobbers and bait, and artificial baits. they set their rods out on spikes, bobbers, and sit with their bait or powerbait on their hooks.

i'm a pretty active type person, so i seem to like lures. i'm using kastmasters and mepps - small lures, 1/8 oz or less, 8# mono, a fenwick ultralight rod. no leader. i may jig by the shore, if it's deep. otherwise i cast and try different depths  out in the middle of the lake.  other times i run my lure along the shore, avoiding snags. so i figure i'm learning how to use these lures, which to me takes some practice.

am i okay sticking almost solely to metal for these fish, or should i try other methods in addition to the spoons i'm using, such as swim baits, or even bait.

and when i'm casting to the middle of the pond, it just seems so vast for bait. isn't metal better for the deeper parts, due to the lack of visibility?  

Along with the Mepps that you're using and the lures recommended about, try a 1/8 oz. Dardevle.  It will catch just about everything in the lake, although when you start getting into bass and trout, not always the largest individuals.

Also try the smallest (I think it might be 2 1/2-inch) Gulp minnow on a 1/16 ior 1/8 oz ball head.  My wife fishes those quite often, and regularly outfishes me on panfish lakes in New York, both here on Long Island and upstate.

Posted (edited) · Report post

ty guys....

i'll give these suggestions a try. i also have on order a little phoebe and husky jerks. and trout magnets. i also have a couple super dupers.. 

so -- if one is using lures, i guess i'm getting this... you would have a box  full of these various lures, and just try different ones until you find the ones that the fish want that day... and a few different colors ---------- but not overboard on the colors...?

Edited by doublegregg

You might be better off in the long run if you picked 5 or 6 lures and concentrated on how to fish them. Maybe a couple jig/plastic types, a couple of spinners, and a top water. Presentation, I think, matters more than variety.

1 hour ago, wrboz said:

You might be better off in the long run if you picked 5 or 6 lures and concentrated on how to fish them. Maybe a couple jig/plastic types, a couple of spinners, and a top water. Presentation, I think, matters more than variety.

ty, wrboz... yes, even at this stage, i find quite a difference in almost every single aspect of say, a small mepps spinner vs kastmaster.  i can see how someone who really knows their particular lure is pretty skilled and would have a much greater chance of getting mr. trout or panfish than i......

When you go down to the pond, pay attention to what the forage is. Are the fish eating tadpoles?bugs? Minnows? The fry of other fish? What’s in the water?

Once you start to get a feel for this, you’ll have a better idea what lure to choose to imitate the daily special. This will help you catch more fish. 

Just know things change from pond to pond, and from hour to hour. You will never learn it all. But over time you’ll get better at guessing!

Edited by wrboz
Spelling

51 mins ago, wrboz said:

When you go down to the pond, pay attention to what the forage is. Are the fish eating tadpoles?bugs? Minnows? The fry of other fish? What’s in the water?

Once you start to get a feel for this, you’ll have a better idea what lure to choose to imitate the daily special. This will help you catch more fish. 

Just know things change from pond to pond, and from hour to hour. You will never learn it all. But over time you’ll get better at guessing!

hi wrboz and guys

at the 7 acre lake, i see ducks submerging themselves... i assume for bugs? i look near the shore, where the water is clear, for fish or minnows --- i never see any. sometimes there are bubbles arising from certain locations towards the middle of the lake - no idea what that is.. should i not use spinners and spoons if i don't see minnows? i'm assuming there are small bait fish, but i never spot them by the shore... i will try looking for minnows near the brush and downed tree limbs --- maybe they'll be there...

the only thing i'm sure of is insects, but that's just because i figure they gotta be there. 

actually, as a newbie i assumed there were no fish in there, as it's not stocked, and it's "only" 7 acres. maybe that's naive on my part. until i hooked what i think was a lmb, about 2 ' from shore. he was in a deep hole and i was jigging or retrieving a kastmaster. he threw my kastmaster.

but it was exciting while it lasted. i'm using ultralight equipment.

Edited by doublegregg

4 hours ago, doublegregg said:

hi wrboz and guys

at the 7 acre lake, i see ducks submerging themselves... i assume for bugs? i look near the shore, where the water is clear, for fish or minnows --- i never see any. sometimes there are bubbles arising from certain locations towards the middle of the lake - no idea what that is.. should i not use spinners and spoons if i don't see minnows? i'm assuming there are small bait fish, but i never spot them by the shore... i will try looking for minnows near the brush and downed tree limbs --- maybe they'll be there...

the only thing i'm sure of is insects, but that's just because i figure they gotta be there. 

actually, as a newbie i assumed there were no fish in there, as it's not stocked, and it's "only" 7 acres. maybe that's naive on my part. until i hooked what i think was a lmb, about 2 ' from shore. he was in a deep hole and i was jigging or retrieving a kastmaster. he threw my kastmaster.

but it was exciting while it lasted. i'm using ultralight equipment.

When your seeing Ducks submerging most likely thye're divers and it's small fish of all sorts on the menu. Ducks you see sticking their heads under the water and foraging are feeding on weeds . These are dabblers though pretty much weed eaters , 

One constant is insects of all sorts will be in still water . These can vary from tiny midges to large dragon flies with a host of a lot of things in between , 

To keep it simple if I wanted to toss flies. I'd do it with either a flyrod or with a plastic casting bubble on spinning gear . Fly choice can be as complicated or as simple you choose to make it , No need to match the hatch for the most part just keep in mind panfish have small mouths. Stick to smaller sized offerings say from size 10- 16 hook size , 

9 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

When your seeing Ducks submerging most likely thye're divers and it's small fish of all sorts on the menu. Ducks you see sticking their heads under the water and foraging are feeding on weeds . These are dabblers though pretty much weed eaters , 

One constant is insects of all sorts will be in still water . These can vary from tiny midges to large dragon flies with a host of a lot of things in between , 

To keep it simple if I wanted to toss flies. I'd do it with either a flyrod or with a plastic casting bubble on spinning gear . Fly choice can be as complicated or as simple you choose to make it , No need to match the hatch for the most part just keep in mind panfish have small mouths. Stick to smaller sized offerings say from size 10- 16 hook size , 

not interested in flies, and don't have any...

i'll keep an eye on the ducks. they submerge close to shore. i 'll try to tell if its vegetation, or fish, or i guess both. minnows must hang right near the shore, to avoid predatory fish...? or i guess they'd be in schools, out in the pond...

actually, i was at the pond on the weekend, and two guys were there fishing. they'd just gotten a deeper castable sonar (the starter kit). it was pretty interesting listening to them talk: they felt it was telling them the size of nearby fish, depth of pond, weeds vs bottom, etc... i didn't get the impression they were veyr successful, tho, catching those fish. i guess those sonar can detect schools of bait fish, is what i've heard.

Edited by doublegregg

If I had to guess, I’d say 90% of the fish I’ve caught in small ponds were caught on 3 lure types: 1) inline spinners, 2) grubs on jigheads, and 3) beetle spins. When you think about it, beetlespins are just a combination of no’s. 1 and 2! You don’t need to go crazy and buy every color made. Something dark, something light, and something gaudy fluorescent should get you started off on the right foot. That’s what tends to work in the small ponds near me.

A small flutter spoon with a tiny plastic like a mister twister teeny meanie on a single hook is good pond search bait.

Bluegill, crappie, perch, trout and bass all like that combination.

gspo-1024x768.jpg

Edited by Jay Blair

For me...

Cold weather I usually go with a small jig under a slip bobber and tip it with live bait or a 1in Gulp minnow.   

Once it gets warmer I go with beetlespins, bigger jigs and inline spinners.