NightMoves00

Which Blank to go with?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

30 mins ago, hystyk1921 said:

If you going with the CTS vapor trail I would not use a van staal. you can, but it’s a distance caster for open beaches. These two rods century s2 2-5 or CTS s7 1-4 is what you want with a vsx250. I use those rods with my 200 and vr175. Those rods I would take to montauk especially fishing on rocks, I would leave my vapor trail at home. 

I use my CTS VT 3 to 6 every night on the rocks. Just have to treat it appropriately. On the other hand the Lami 1321M 4 to 8 will throw lighter stuff and is indestructible with torzite guides. I love my VS reels also a good match for either

Just now, Bob C. said:

I use my CTS VT 3 to 6 every night on the rocks. Just have to treat it appropriately. On the other hand the Lami 1321M 4 to 8 will throw lighter stuff and is indestructible with torzite guides. I love my VS reels also a good match for either

Yep love the 3-6 I would say it’s a true 1-5oz. Can’t go wrong with a gsb they don’t break. Didn’t grab one due to the s7 having similar properties ratings. Bottom section of the rod is fiberglass and top section is carbon/graphite. Moderate fast rod. Under 12oz built for my 11 footer. Definitely lighter over a gsb at the same length and ratings. Compared them at surf day in nj. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 min ago, Bob C. said:

NICE!!

I remember looking at the centuries when they were just coming in. I was impressed. Dont know why the hell I quoted myself though.:)

Edited by Bob C.

55 mins ago, no name said:

AFMike what's the difference between the s1 and s2? tia

The S1s are rated 1 - 4 but will throw a 1/2oz bucky, the S2 will throw down to 3/4 and up to 5oz

6 hours ago, Bob C. said:

I have an account with CTS and Aquidnick Island Rod builders puts em together for me. CMS is a dealer

Ted builds all of my rods as well! Awesome dude!

10 hours ago, Bob C. said:

I have an account with CTS and Aquidnick Island Rod builders puts em together for me. CMS is a dealer

Nice! I will hit you up for the hook up lol. Did you register your rods? Not sure if rhcustoms did it or if I should just do it. I have about 7 rods from them all different

5 hours ago, Bob C. said:

As you can see no van staal on any of these blanks, if you watch the blank load you can see why. Why put a 20oz reel on a 9 ounce blank? To each their own I guess. redhawk aka Lou Caruso laughed when I told him I wanted a vs200 on a vapor trail. 

i have no problem what so ever loading my cts with my 275 on it. Then again I used to come off my feet when  I throw. Not ant more but loading is no problem

On 2/21/2021 at 9:31 PM, hystyk1921 said:

As you can see no van staal on any of these blanks, if you watch the blank load you can see why. Why put a 20oz reel on a 9 ounce blank?

What if you’re not casting from dry sand & want/need the fully sealed characteristics of a reel like a VS or ZB? Getting a rod to load properly has little to do with the weight of the reel IMO. 

12 hours ago, vinnyb said:

What if you’re not casting from dry sand & want/need the fully sealed characteristics of a reel like a VS or ZB? Getting a rod to load properly has little to do with the weight of the reel IMO. 

21 ounce reel on a 10oz rod built, not much for balance? You will change your casting style just to use the vapor trail. It’s a parabolic rod. It casts different over the s7 and s2. If I don’t need distance the vs and zeebaas come out to play. Standing on a bar or wading out like your suggestion No reason for a long casting reel. I am not grabbing my vt for standing on rocks or wading out. Distance isn’t needed if it’s needed I should probably start looking at boats 

5 mins ago, hystyk1921 said:

21 ounce reel on a 10oz rod built, not much for balance? 

Define balance & how it relates to properly loading a rod.  Not trying to be argumentative - they're just 2 separate issues IMO.  If you're saying that it's nicer to have a lighter reel on a light blank, I can understand that.  But sometimes the conditions warrant going with a reel that's going to stand up to the elements - whether it be on a 10 oz rod or not.  Personally I think the whole weight thing is overrated - just like the "max drag" fad with surf reels.  My "old school" COF built 132 1L weighs 13.2 oz & my VS 200 weighs 23 oz.  This is my go to setup for the open beach & I can load it fuller than what you're showing in the vid.  When the time comes that I can't carry 36 ounces for a few hours, I'll quit the game ;-).

38 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Define balance & how it relates to properly loading a rod.  Not trying to be argumentative - they're just 2 separate issues IMO.  If you're saying that it's nicer to have a lighter reel on a light blank, I can understand that.  But sometimes the conditions warrant going with a reel that's going to stand up to the elements - whether it be on a 10 oz rod or not.  Personally I think the whole weight thing is overrated - just like the "max drag" fad with surf reels.  My "old school" COF built 132 1L weighs 13.2 oz & my VS 200 weighs 23 oz.  This is my go to setup for the open beach & I can load it fuller than what you're showing in the vid.  When the time comes that I can't carry 36 ounces for a few hours, I'll quit the game ;-).

It’s a fiberglas rod with a blend of graphite, something the VT doesn’t have is Fiberglas. Easier to load those gsb because of that. It depends on where the fish are no reason for a vapor trail 10 foot or bigger if the fish are at your feet. The past few seasons I saw guys selling tons of 10-12 foot surf rods. They are using 9’6 rods that are lighter and cast similar distances. Big difference in weight between the 150 and 200.