wrboz

Changing species in longtime spots

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2021 at 0:25 PM, Carpniels said:

CWITEK wrote: "Catching more big blue runners, too."

I've caught a few of those in FL when I was on vacation. They looked just like bluefish so I figured they were just the local FL name for the same fish that we call bluefish in NY. Am I wrong? Are they different species?

Thanks - Carpniels

Blue runners are a member of the jack family, but they do look a lot like bluefish.  First time we caught one down in Florida--sometime around 1966, my father was convinced that it was a bluefish, too.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, wrboz said:

Is it Gyan (sp?) philosophy that postulates that the earths ecosystem is itself an organism, and that mankind is basically a parasite that constantly attacks it? Makes sense if you think about it.

Gaian--after Gaia, a Greek deity that, in their cosmology, preceded both the Titans and the entities that we normally think of as the Greek pantheon headed by Zeus and Hera.

On 2/21/2021 at 0:58 PM, wrboz said:

CWitek; thanks for giving a broader perspective. Most of my saltwater fishing is done in the estuaries of the Irish Riviera, so you have a better handle on the overall picture than I do. I’ve never caught scup or Black Sea bass in south shore estuaries. South coast of Mass and in R I they seem to be everywhere.

PSegnatelli: I too have heard that dams play a role in the decline of eels. Not that I really miss them. We always threw the big ones back, and kept the small ones for bait. I was under the impression we have removed more dams that we have built in the last 35 years, so I would suspect there are also other factors at play.

It may well be that warmer waters are playing a bigger role than many want to admit. My cousins up in the Bay of Fundy tell me they’ve been seeing a slight uptick in stripers (schoolies at least) locally. In the past, the stripers were not targeted there as heavily as they were here. Hopefully they show more respect for the resource more than we have.

I'm guessing most reading this would have no idea where you are referring to, not that that is a bad thing :laugh:

My youth in the 80's was spent mostly picking at flounder using sea worms on pops boat, or heading just outside the mouth and you could catch keeper cod quite easily in 30'.  I don't have much experience targeting Eels, but I've heard many tales of the days gone by of arm sized eels being regularly caught in the river.

For what its worth, we did get a small 10" size BSB in a lobster trap a couple years back outside the river, and I usually see a juvi tog or 3 over the course of a season fishing from the rocks.  Don't recall ever seeing or hearing of scup taken in the area to be honest.

I concur on your assessment on bluefish-  I did get one sub 5# class blue last July from the rocks-  literally the first I've caught from shore in 7+ years.  I had a passing encounter with some gorilla 13-18# blues one day in late August '19, but they were gone within a couple hours of where I found them.

Bass?  Agree for the most part-  numbers and size seems to generally be down.  It has definitely been a right place, right time, right tide kinda thing the last few years, but there are some nice fish that push through...unfortunately the key phrase in that statement is "push through"...it just isn't the same as it was 10 years ago where we had quality resident fish setup in a relatively familiar locations and timeframes. 

Just trying to remain positive and encouraged by the relative abundance of 18-24" fish we've been seeing.  Those year classes seem to have an awful lot riding on them for where this fishery is going to be in the next 5-10 years.

On 2/24/2021 at 0:28 PM, wrboz said:

I used to do root cause analysis for my job. It was rare that a failure was caused solely by one factor. Usually there was a primary factor that may have been overcome if not for additional contributing factors. Little things tend to pile up and can eventually lead to big consequences.

That must have been a frustrating job, simple people like simple answers. They want an 'aha!' moment like Richard Feynman dipping the shuttle O-ring in ice water then snapping it.

1 hour ago, putty said:

I'm guessing most reading this would have no idea where you are referring to, not that that is a bad thing :laugh:

I was super lucky to marry into a family with a cottage on the river. I’ve pretty much had a dock and unfettered access for the last 35 years to the point where I rarely fish anywhere else. The river, the mouth, and along the beaches provide pretty diverse fishing.

A couple times a year I head to the south coast of Mass or Rhode Island for blues, scup, or Black Sea bass.

I imagine, probably in my lifetime, those 3 species will become common along the south shore due to warming oceans.

41 mins ago, gellfex said:

That must have been a frustrating job, simple people like simple answers. 

It could get really frustrating. Not so much the simplicity, but the money. People would lose their minds sometimes when they learned it would cost actual money to correct problems.

16 mins ago, wrboz said:

It could get really frustrating. Not so much the simplicity, but the money. People would lose their minds sometimes when they learned it would cost actual money to correct problems.

Are you even able to watch the news from TX? No one would invest in systems resiliency and then were shocked when systems when down, for a variety of reasons.