bob_G

This old photo

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

49 mins ago, bob_G said:

I recognize the man in the middle. Without a doubt, that's Stan Kuzia.

Now you got this one right. Jimmy Judd on the other one? He was one of the only ones that i recall from that time frame that small.It also looks like the original shop that would have been to the left of the present shop if memory is correct where the coffee was on all night for those who would come in after midnight. Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

8 mins ago, Shelldrake said:

Love the Bunny stories. He treated me very kindly as a youngster with the hunting/fishing bug. Bought my first shotgun from him. 1968 I think.

Bunny was a gentleman in all of the years I new him . He was always encouraging young  folks to hunt and fish as he set a great example for others to follow. He also cared about the resource very much and when the bass were hurting in another time, he would be at the hearings at the maritime Academy, where we often would sit together discussing the proposals being presented by the Division Of Marine Fisheries.

His reputation among the sports clubs from the Celtics , Bruin's and Red Sox  was unparalleled. Taking at least one governor out with fishing He was also more of sand man then a canal man, He had a over the sand vehicle, that he often drove on the beaches with.    Any one that goes to Marshland 2 of Cotuit road here in Sandwich can be a witnessed  to what he loved to do . It sort of is a record of him in various stages of his life in full life like visual pictures all hanging from the walls inside the restaurant.  Peace and Prayers

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, Joe G said:

Liz and Don stepped into the picture early '70's, but almost came close to losing the business in '85 when a fire broke out. 

Joe,

You really have me scratching my head on this one.   1985?  I can't recall a fire at Red Top. I can't imagine how I missed that.  

I do faintly recall some sort of incident in the storage shed out back years ago.  Could that have been it, or was it the main building?

Edited by bob_G

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

You really have me scratching my head on this one.   1985?  I can't recall a fire at Red Top. I can't imagine how I missed that.  

I do faintly recall some sort of incident in the storage shed out back years ago.  Could that have been it, or was it the main building?

Bob, I read it started in the rear and destroyed the stored inventory.  Insurance covered damages, but it was questionable if new stock could be purchased.  A vendor stepped forward and helped to replenish the stock.

18 hours ago, Joe G said:

Bill Chase Jr. told me the story behind the name and ownership of Red Top.  I noted snippets of his commentary in the journal I was keeping.  I also recall reading this same Red Top history in a magazine and/or on-line. 

I'll try to find it.   

OK Bob, I found the article on line.

I will PM you the link and you can decide whether or not to put it up.  I'm unsure of Tim's procedures. 

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

Bob, I read it started in the rear and destroyed the stored inventory.  Insurance covered damages, but it was questionable if new stock could be purchased.  A vendor stepped forward and helped to replenish the stock.

Interesting.   But I still can't recall the fire?  I'm not doubting it occurred, but surprised I don't recall it?  

1985, I was comm lobstering full time back then, so my canal fishing was limited. Plus, the striper fishery was still in the throes of a collapse, and what little fishing I did was in pursuit of blues.   So maybe I didn't go to Red Top much that year and missed the news if the fire.

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

Interesting.   But I still can't recall the fire?  I'm not doubting it occurred, but surprised I don't recall it?  

June 23, 1985

18 mins ago, Joe G said:

June 23, 1985

I recall the fire as well and for what ever reason I never thought they would get recovered, but they did. Joe please send me the link you are referring to . I am In contact with family friends and hopefully soon his daughter that still lives here will be in touch. Peace and prayers

55 mins ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

I can't really open the link.  Could be an auto correct error.  I'll keep trying.  ;)

Bob, I just tried and I am unable to get in.  Bad link or more than likely, my bad...... I incorrectly copied the link.  Sorry about that.  Play around with it, however, but I'm not going back and re-plow that field. History is what it is. 

( Carl, please note above--bad link.  Also, I have  been on my land-line for many hours...on hold/dialing, etc......trying to get COVID appointments for 3 elderly friends.) 

1 min ago, Joe G said:

Bob, I just tried and I am unable to get in.  Bad link or more than likely, my bad...... I incorrectly copied the link.  Sorry about that.  Play around with it, however, but I'm not going back and re-plow that field. History is what it is. 

( Carl, please note above--bad link.  Also, I have  been on my land-line for many hours...on hold/dialing, etc......trying to get COVID appointments for 3 elderly friends.) 

I'm an elderly friend. :wave:

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm an elderly friend. :wave:

Bob try the emergency number 211 Peace and Prayers The list will be updated every Thursday perhaps that may be the best day to try

On 2/21/2021 at 8:46 PM, Angler #1 said:

Now you got this one right. Jimmy Judd on the other one? 

If you're referring to Jimmy "Yellow Boots" Judd, I knew him well from the Leper days. It doesn't look like him, in my opinion. Jimmy was an FAA licensed Airframe and Powerplant technician. I think he worked on helicopters at Hanscom, when I knew him.

3 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

If you're referring to Jimmy "Yellow Boots" Judd, I knew him well from the Leper days. It doesn't look like him, in my opinion. Jimmy was an FAA licensed Airframe and Powerplant technician. I think he worked on helicopters at Hanscom, when I knew him.

Yellow boots...your so right, Ditch.   Yes, I remember those large boots on Jimmy.

Quiet guy and good company for sure.

Yes, he was at Hanscom and I recall him saying that he and his business partner once own a company that serviced jet and chopper aircraft.

12 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Mike All I was saying with a question mark that it might be Jimm as he was the only one from that time frame I recall as being that small. Now we know for sure it is not Peace and Prayers