bob_G

This old photo

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

38 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Clyde Omar was a surf guide on the Vineyard back in the 1980s, when I first started going over for the Derby. Drove a Suburban with a "Clyde's Surf Tours" or something like that on top of it. Didn't he work for the phone company, Bob?

Clyde had this thing about losing tackle. He had huge Mitchell 488s, spooled with 30 pound mono, and he wouldn't let the clients cast. He'd make the cast, and then hand the rod to the sport to reel in. ;) 

Wasn't the plug on the roof a Cap'n Bill swimmer?

You would be correct as the captain Bill was originally made to be sold at Red Top and if you go into the shop , you will see a display of those plugs in a case from that time frame. Some came from my personal collection a bunch of years ago when I sold them to Tom. Peace and Prayers

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe it is stated that a picture is worth a thousand words and the Picture of his shop in Sandwich was called the Red Top Ice cream bait shop. .......Once the name of Red Top was hung over at the Buzzards bay Side I do not recall any other name for his Ice cream shop here in Sandwich 

Hum, interesting........I have it from an extremely credible source that in the late ‘40’s, Bunny opened the “Sugar Bowl”, an ice cream shop and gathering spot for local teens.  ;)

Edited by Joe G

12 hours ago, Joe G said:

Hum, interesting........I have it from an extremely credible source that in the late ‘40’s, Bunny opened the “Sugar Bowl”, an ice cream shop and gathering spot for local teens.  ;)

Joe we are both correct. He did open an Ice cream shop in the early 40's the town called the Sugar Bowl However it was here in a small alcove , that Red Top Bait and sporting goods  was first established , Later it was moved to its present location in Buzzards Bay . Bunny was both manager and devoted employee for fifty years. These words are part of his obituary that any one can look at.  He passed from this earth in 2011 at the age of 84. Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

11 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

However it was here in a small alcove , that Red Top Bait and sporting goods  was first established , Later it was moved to its present location in Buzzards Bay 

Red Top Bait Company was first opened in 1949, well before Bunny was asked to join as manager.

23 mins ago, Joe G said:

Red Top Bait Company was first opened in 1949, well before Bunny was asked to join as manager.

Joe you are off by 2 years they opened in 1947  He would have been around 30 years old  Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Brother Joe,

A question for you.

Who was the first person to use the name Red Top, was it Bunny or the original owner?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Brother Joe,

A question for you.

Who was the first person to use the name Red Top, was it Bunny or the original owner?

The original owners, Bill Chase and Charlie Sherer established Red Top Bait Company.  Charlie came up with the name.  Initial location was not far from the present location.  Bunny was across the way operating his Sugar Bowl at the time when Red Top first became operational.

It was only after Bill and Charlie sold Red Top a number of years later, did Bill approach Bunny regarding possible employment at Red Top.  The new owner was looking for a manager who would run the business and enlisted Bill and his son to help in a search..  Bill and his son knew Bunny would be a perfect fit and both of them approached Bunny.  The rest is history.

Before joining Red Top, in addition to ice cream, Bunny also sold plugs on consignment from Red Top in a small alcove in his ice cream shop.  No doubt he sold that Capt. Bill plug.    

Edited by Joe G

34 mins ago, Joe G said:

The original owners, Bill Chase and Charlie Sherer established Red Top Bait Company.  Charlie came up with the name.  Initial location was not far from the present location.  Bunny was across the way operating his Sugar Bowl at the time when Red Top first became operational.

It was only after Bill and Charlie sold Red Top a number of years later, did Bill approach Bunny regarding possible employment at Red Top.  The new owner was looking for a manager who would run the business and enlisted Bill and his son to help in a search..  Bill and his son knew Bunny would be a perfect fit and both of them approached Bunny.  The rest is history.

Before joining Red Top, in addition to ice cream, Bunny also sold plugs on consignment from Red Top in a small alcove in his ice cream shop.  No doubt he sold that Capt. Bill plug.    

Joe , Bunnies family would disagree with your above posting , according to the obituary and the picture of him as I posted hanging in Marshland 2  where it shows Bunny out front of an Ice cream shop with the Red Top sign hanging from it and the words bait and tackle if I recall correctly. The Chases were part of the Sandwich community also at that time. I can recall a time at the old store before you see the present one now, that he was working the night shift and that would have been around 1947 . His obituary stated that he worked there for 50 years and that would make it close to the time he retired and then eventually pass at 84 Peace and prayers

Any one can also pull up an interview by Charlie Soares , where he states that the origial Red Top name came from Bunny. The Lure of the Ledgent By Charlie Soares Peace and Prayers. 

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Thanks Joe,

That's an accurate account of the proceedings.    Your memory serves you well.  ;)

When my dad and I first began going to Red Top, it wasn't long before Bunny and my dad began swapping WWII experiences.  My dad mistakenly thought Bunny was the proprietor of Red Top. The owner.  Bunny made it clear he was not, and went on the explain the shop's history.  At the time I was just a wide eyed kid, looking at all the fishing equipment, the guns, and the hockey equipment (yes, they sold hockey stuff and sharpened skates too). In other words as the old saying goes, "I was listening with one ear" so to speak.  

However I do recall all your names being discussed.  But Bunny said something that caught my ear.  In the middle of WWII story number three or four, Bunny mentioned he got his start running his ice cream store!  That caught my attention.  Here's this really cool guy, a WWII Pacific Theater veteran, running this super cool shop, and he got his start selling ice cream.   The store was the Sugar Bowl.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Thanks Joe,

That's an accurate account of the proceedings.    Your memory serves you well.  ;)

Well......not all from memory, Bob.

Bill Chase Jr. told me the story behind the name and ownership of Red Top.  I noted snippets of his commentary in the journal I was keeping.  I also recall reading this same Red Top history in a magazine and/or on-line. 

I'll try to find it.   

As I said, Bill and Charlie began operating Red Top and Charlie was the one who chose the name.  Early on, Red Top was located in the vicinity of St.  Peters.  Now as to the name.  Seems Charlie's family had a holly tree farm called Red Top in Little Compton.  They named the shop after the family's tree farm.  

After a few tough years of barely scraping by, Bill and Charlie decided to sell out.  They sold to a banker, who then acted as a silent owner and enlisted the help of the Chases' to find a store manager.  Shortly thereafter, that is when Bunny stepped into the picture.  At the time, Bunny was selling ice cream and Red Top plugs on consignment for Red Top at the Sugar Bowl, and most likely he advertised his wares......especially that Capt. Bill plug.

Interestingly, this banking fella also bought Charlies interest in the Capt. Bill plug when he purchased Red Top.  Charlie had enlisted off-site help and students to help in producing that plug. 

Liz and Don stepped into the picture early '70's, but almost came close to losing the business in '85 when a fire broke out. 

Tom is now serving up the needs of fisherman.