bob_G

This old photo

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Bob, back then, was Bill Chase or his dad or Bunny behind the counter?

Also, I never could get an answer as to what ever became of that huge iconic lure atop the roof. Any thoughts?

Bunny was behind the counter.  Bunny was the man :theman:.  Bunny was a real friend to me when I was starting out.  I owe him much.  He didn't have to do all he did for me.

One thing I will always remember about Bunny was his hospitality and his wonderful smile.

A very unique guy who helped me on a number of occasions.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Bunny was behind the counter.  Bunny was the man :theman:.  Bunny was a real friend to me when I was starting out.  I owe him much.  He didn't have to do all he did for me.

Bob,           Bunny helped every one he could that would listen to him when he gave out advise. If any one told him that this was there first striped bass he would take a bass pin from the card and give it to them . Some will say that the name Red Top was given to the shop by some else , but he had a shop on this side that had the name Red Top Ice cream and tackle shop on it. If any one cares to see some real nice old pictures about those time, simply go to the restaurant of cotuit road called Marshland two . You will see many photo's of those times enlarged for you to see. Who knows you might even see one of yourself .  Bunny would often stop of at Blackies Hole when younger and stop to fish. He also was well Known among the sports figures of those time, from the great splinter to old scar face, who he often would guide them to some fish. Peace and Prayers

Posted (edited) · Report post

I forgot to mention John Havalcheck [sp] who was one of Bunnies best customers. He was well known about in the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox players of that time. I was around 11 or 12 when I first met him in the old shop with the forever free coffee was brewing at midnight or one in the morning when My mentor Peter Cochis would stop to pick up skins out of the jar.   It was my job to make up the coffee the way Peter wanted it and rig three skin rigs before we headed down towards the canal.   Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob,           Bunny helped every one he could that would listen to him when he gave out advise. If any one told him that this was there first striped bass he would take a bass pin from the card and give it to them . Some will say that the name Red Top was given to the shop by some else , but he had a shop on this side that had the name Red Top Ice cream and tackle shop on it. If any one cares to see some real nice old pictures about those time, simply go to the restaurant of cotuit road called Marshland two . You will see many photo's of those times enlarged for you to see. Who knows you might even see one of yourself .  Bunny would often stop of at Blackies Hole when younger and stop to fish. He also was well Known among the sports figures of those time, from the great splinter to old scar face, who he often would guide them to some fish. Peace and Prayers

Carl,

What Bunny did for me really had nothing to do with fishing advice.  It was more a personal matter, and I won't elaborate beyond that.

5 hours ago, Joe G said:

Bob, back then, was Bill Chase or his dad or Bunny behind the counter?

Also, I never could get an answer as to what ever became of that huge iconic lure atop the roof. Any thoughts?

Joe,

I do know something about it, and the red letters.  

The red letters and plug were taken down when Don and Liz Stromeyer took over.  I really didn't know Liz or Don all that well at the time.   But I'm fairly sure it was Bunny DiPietro who told me.  Bunny said the plug was in rough shape, and Don was concerned about the liability factor.   The letters were also going to be repainted. 

The Readers Digest version was, money was tight for the newlywed owners. The plug was in such disrepair,  it would not have been cost effective to fix it.    Also, the roof was old,  very delicate and leaking.  Walking all over it would likely exacerbate things and cause more leak. Possibly leading to more repairs or even a new roof.

In the end Don thought it best to forget the whole thing and just go with the sign out front.

That certainly makes sense. Thanks for info. That plug and the letters look very close to toppling over. Best Liz and Don erred on the side of caution

Sugar Bowl was the name of Bunny’s ice cream emporium. 

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

I forgot to mention John Havalcheck [sp] who was one of Bunnies best customers. He was well known about in the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox players of that time. I was around 11 or 12 when I first met him in the old shop with the forever free coffee was brewing at midnight or one in the morning when My mentor Peter Cochis would stop to pick up skins out of the jar.   It was my job to make up the coffee the way Peter wanted it and rig three skin rigs before we headed down towards the canal.   Peace and Prayers

I'll bet the coffee was like mud:howdy:

Clyde Omar was a surf guide on the Vineyard back in the 1980s, when I first started going over for the Derby. Drove a Suburban with a "Clyde's Surf Tours" or something like that on top of it. Didn't he work for the phone company, Bob?

Clyde had this thing about losing tackle. He had huge Mitchell 488s, spooled with 30 pound mono, and he wouldn't let the clients cast. He'd make the cast, and then hand the rod to the sport to reel in. ;) 

Wasn't the plug on the roof a Cap'n Bill swimmer?

17 mins ago, Joe G said:

Right you are Joe.  The Sugar Bowl was its name.  But that was before my time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Clyde Omar was a surf guide on the Vineyard back in the 1980s, when I first started going over for the Derby. Drove a Suburban with a "Clyde's Surf Tours" or something like that on top of it. Didn't he work for the phone company, Bob?

Clyde had this thing about losing tackle. He had huge Mitchell 488s, spooled with 30 pound mono, and he wouldn't let the clients cast. He'd make the cast, and then hand the rod to the sport to reel in. ;) 

Wasn't the plug on the roof a Cap'n Bill swimmer?

Mike,

Yes, Clyde worked for the phone company.  He also didn't like fishing the canal.  It's was probably his aversion to losing gear that prompted that.

As for the plug, it could be a Capt Bill, but I'm not sure?   I wouldn't swear to it, but I think one of the decorative hooks off that plug hung inside the shop for a while.

Edited by bob_G

28 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I'll bet the coffee was like mud:howdy:

being young as i was I did not do coffee at that time, however Peter did and he was specific on how he wanted it. Peace and Prayers.

47 mins ago, Joe G said:

That certainly makes sense. Thanks for info. That plug and the letters look very close to toppling over. Best Liz and Don erred on the side of caution

Joe it is stated that a picture is worth a thousand words and the Picture of his shop in Sandwich was called the Red Top Ice cream bait shop. Matter of fact the majority of the pictures inside Marshland two are all from Bunnies family with him in most of them. Once the name of Red Top was hung over at the Buzzards bay Side I do not recall any other name for his Ice cream shop here in Sandwich He might have changed it to the Sugar Bowl . That name was also used to identify a well known Cod and flounder spot in South Boston that is called Hart Island where the hurricane of 1938  took down the covered bridge going out to it , before they made a road out to it and built the protective dike out front. Peace and Prayers