wasabi_VA

Garmin returns weak in Sportsman PDL 106 with in-hull ductseal method

32 posts in this topic

I used an in-hull duct seal mount in my Pelican kayak and it works beautifully. It is a Garmin Striker and I get good returns.

But I'm outfitting a new Old Town Sportsman PDL 106 with a new Garmin Striker Vivid 4cv and the returns from my in-hull ductseal transducer seem weak. I have to adjust the gain so high to see my jig/spoon in 20' to 30' of water that I'm getting a lot of noise in the water column. For what it is worth this is their GT20 'ducer. It has good performance showing my jig down to say 15' feet, but below that the return starts to get weak or disappear.

I did the duct seal method the same way as my Pelican kayak. I made an even pancake of ductseal about 1/4" thick, nestled the 'ducer down into it, wrapped the edges of the pancake up around the sides of the 'ducer to hold it in place. Then pushed that into the bottom of the boat where it would lay horizontal and the hull has constant contact with the water. It is centerline of the boat, just below the forward hatch. I did my best to ensure no air bubbles were present.

Any suggestions? I really want to stick with an in-hull mount and feel ductseal works great. Just wondering if I've done something wrong mounting it, or perhaps there is a setting I have forgotten to adjust properly in the Garmin? I've had the other one dialed in for some time. I'm not using Auto Gain, it is manual and has to be set to around 82 - 84 to see the jig return. But it is weak and any setting above that starts to show too much interference showing up.

Yeah, I might end up there but it is my last option as I fish inland waters where I frequently  encounter underwater obstructions like logs and rocks. I've heard more than a few people comment the Garmin transducers hang low on these Topwater/Sportsman models. Also talk of having to fabricate a custom mount to get it mounted up securely. Don't know - didn't try it there yet. I am sure my unit would work better there though with nothing to attenuate the signals.

Before I mount there I would get a Navarre scupper hole mount as it pulls it up tighter to the hull. Regardless, my goal is in-hull since I know it can work great. Unless I learn there is a reason why it isn't going to work out in this kayak.

I mounted mine here, down in the centerline which has that keel depression. My ductseal/transducer seemed to fit down into it well enough although maybe it isn't? That's the only thing I can think that might cause it to have a weaker signal. Perhaps it ended up with too much ductseal underneath it?

Screenshot-2021-02-20-093152.png

No, on screen display showed good voltage.

Pretty sure my install is reducing the signal strength somehow. But am confused as I feel I followed the same methodology as what is working fine in another kayak. Wondering if hull thickness or ductseal difference is behind my issue. 

Definitive test - take to location with 30’ of water. #1. Test with current in-hull installation       #2. Hold transducer over side and retest using same inputs as test #1.

If there is a difference, tweak placement and ductseal. Good luck

I’m pretty sure pelican yaks are made from thermoformed plastic sheets. ABS, maybe? 
It’s  thinner than the rotomolded PE your 106 is made with.  This could account for the issue. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, wasabi_VA said:

Yeah, I might end up there but it is my last option as I fish inland waters where I frequently  encounter underwater obstructions like logs and rocks. I've heard more than a few people comment the Garmin transducers hang low on these Topwater/Sportsman models. Also talk of having to fabricate a custom mount to get it mounted up securely. Don't know - didn't try it there yet. I am sure my unit would work better there though with nothing to attenuate the signals.

Before I mount there I would get a Navarre scupper hole mount as it pulls it up tighter to the hull. Regardless, my goal is in-hull since I know it can work great. Unless I learn there is a reason why it isn't going to work out in this kayak.

I mounted mine here, down in the centerline which has that keel depression. My ductseal/transducer seemed to fit down into it well enough although maybe it isn't? That's the only thing I can think that might cause it to have a weaker signal. Perhaps it ended up with too much ductseal underneath it?

Screenshot-2021-02-20-093152.png

I would be confident that an obstruction will not damage the transducer. If you did hit something the bow would jump up. 

Edited by The Riddler

The only reason for a transducer to be hanging slightly below on a PDL hull is for side imaging. On a typical transducer mount 

the stock transom mount gets installed upside down. The Transducer is neatly tucked away from harm. 

840EF303-FDEF-4D74-A4C0-A2A995951316.jpeg

61E23716-D46F-4B98-8E3D-5AEA40A1025D.jpeg

35 mins ago, OPE said:

I have this mount and it works great. It pulls the transducer up higher than the OEM mount.

I'm considering ordering one for my helix 5 even tho it should fit the oem mount. 

34 mins ago, The Riddler said:

The only reason for a transducer to be hanging slightly below on a PDL hull is for side imaging. On a typical transducer mount 

the stock transom mount gets installed upside down. The Transducer is neatly tucked away from harm. 

The Garmin transducer mount won't fit flipped without some modding of the bracket. Even after modding the bracket, I don't believe it will ride as high as the scupper mount bracket.

2 mins ago, OPE said:

The Garmin transducer mount won't fit flipped without some modding of the bracket. Even after modding the bracket, I don't believe it will ride as high as the scupper mount bracket.

That's crazy.  I would have to see a picture. How much modding do you have to do?  Drill a hole? 

38 mins ago, evan1 said:

I'm considering ordering one for my helix 5 even tho it should fit the oem mount. 

That's insane.  The pictures I added shows the Helix Transducer on the OEM.