Bobby bucktails

12 wt line

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Looking for a  single hand 12 wt floating line that isn't tropical. Any suggestions? Found plenty of 12 wt ljne but all tropical. I will be fishing it in the northeast. Thanks 

Curiosity, why don’t you want tropical? Will you be fishing in cold air and water and are worried about line memory? 

1 hour ago, flyangler said:

Curiosity, why don’t you want tropical? Will you be fishing in cold air and water and are worried about line memory? 

Line memory. Or maybe I should also ask peoples experiences with tropical line in colder water. Seems to be a mixed bag of answers when it comes to that. 

1 hour ago, Bobby bucktails said:

Line memory. Or maybe I should also ask peoples experiences with tropical line in colder water. Seems to be a mixed bag of answers when it comes to that. 

Using a tropical in the beach in Florida when air and water temp is in the low to mid 70s presents line memory issues. While I don’t have enough first hand experience to be certain, the tropicals really only come into their own when the air is above 90 and the deck of a boat can be hotter when the line is sitting on it for some time waiting for that moment. 

9 hours ago, flyangler said:

Using a tropical in the beach in Florida when air and water temp is in the low to mid 70s presents line memory issues. While I don’t have enough first hand experience to be certain, the tropicals really only come into their own when the air is above 90 and the deck of a boat can be hotter when the line is sitting on it for some time waiting for that moment. 

I agree with Flyangler...

I used an OBS 12WF on my Opal 9/10 TH and used it for stripers in cold weather with no issues at all.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Bobby bucktails said:

Some of the tropicals are no issue up here in the NE. Wulff Bermuda TT 12wfF 30ft head around 460 grains.

Rio OBS12wfF 30ft head at 525 grains. SA Titan series 12wfF 32ft head around460 grains. I prefer the SA running line to all others, very few if any coiling issues. I fish the Wulff also, it's a tropical but has less memory issues IMO than the Rio. 

7 hours ago, snapper1 said:

I agree with Flyangler...

I used an OBS 12WF on my Opal 9/10 TH and used it for stripers in cold weather with no issues at all.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

6 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Some of the tropicals are no issue up here in the NE. Wulff Bermuda TT 12wfF 30ft head around 460 grains.

Rio OBS12wfF 30ft head at 525 grains. SA Titan series 12wfF 32ft head around460 grains. I prefer the SA running line to all others, very few if any coiling issues. I fish the Wulff also, it's a tropical but has less memory issues IMO than the Rio. 

Thanks guys

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am seeing fewer and fewer coldwater lines available in 11wt to 12wt these days.  Look for an older Scientific Anglers Striped Bass line in 12wt.  They show up on the big auction site from time to time. Another possibility is older Orvis Wonderlines made by either Rio or Scientific Anglers.  Most 12wt lines are tropical or warmwater lines these days.  Some may perform o.k. in cooler temps.  Many Wulff lines tend to do o.k. in cooler weather.  Rio OB and OBS in the higher line weights are mainly tropic formulations.  Older Rio OB/OBS ones included coldwater and freshwater - can sometimes find them used or new old stock. YMMV

Edited by Killiefish

How heavy of a line are you looking for, grain wise?  I know the Scientific Anglers 11wt lines (I think both the Titan and Mastery Titan Long or whatever it's called) are 450gr.  I use my 10wt as my main floating line year round without any real issues (well, March through December anyway)

Agree with the two posters who preceded this.  If 425g to 450g is your goal, there are some coldwater options currently available.  If 510-550g there are far fewer and mostly tropical.