Misled

Finding bunker

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I mainly fish with lures off the surf and jetties.  This year I figured I would try fishing with bait.  Is it possible to snag bunker from the surf or off a jetty?  Should I use bait to fish them?  Also, besides watching the birds and blitzes, how do we locate them?  do they have a specific migratory pattern?

thx in advance

They are everywhere from montauk to LBI. Billions. Typically off the beach. The question is .... Will you be there at the right time when they do get chased into casting distance.

5 hours ago, Misled said:

So from the sound of it I'm better off just buying them or getting offshore somehow.

If youre in the right place at the right time you can snag them with ease. Ive seen them packed so densely against the beach that some kids snagged them as bycatch on their hi-lo fluke rig. It necer hurts to have a treble hook in your bag just in case they come in close, fresh cut bunker beats the frozen stuff from the store every time.

17 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

If youre in the right place at the right time you can snag them with ease. Ive seen them packed so densely against the beach that some kids snagged them as bycatch on their hi-lo fluke rig. It necer hurts to have a treble hook in your bag just in case they come in close, fresh cut bunker beats the frozen stuff from the store every time.

cool thanx.  I'll definitely be getting one soon.  I agree fresh bait is always better. 

Keep a snag hook in your bag. I'm not revealing any spots here but I will tell ya that I can go to certain areas 9 months out of the year and find bunker to snag. Pay attention to bunker reports this spring, theyre just as important as bass reports

I see your location is AC.. Little different down our way. The bunker are not anywhere near as abundant as north jersey/ raritan bay. I would keep an eye out in the inlets in the spring, and in the bays for S jersey. They are definitely in there. In my eyes carry a snag hook, don't expect to come across a ton of them