Wenz

Are tautogs back to the shore yet?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Could someone roughly point me to where I can have a shot at them from the shore? I never fished for tog. Do I need to buy the crabs or could they be easily found like some people claim? Thanks.

If you find a shoreline with small to medium rocks at low tide, it should be easy to find your own crabs if you’re interested in getting your own. They’re generally easy to find - but also easy to buy - so it really depends on your schedule and level of interest. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/25/2021 at 0:34 AM, HarborBoy said:

I’ve never been able to catch very many crabs for tog fishing. They’re cheap enough to buy the green ones - spend more time fishing and less time chasing crabs around. I usually cut their legs off and cut them in half. 

Rocky shorelines and jetties, even some fishing piers, can hold tog. They like structure. 

If you can find crab it's good, but if not, seaworms, clams will work too. Just have patience when you are fishing for them. They don't eat all the time. You will try a spot for 5 min then move on to the next hole. It's a constant search with bait from the rocks. Don't have to toss too far out. Eventually you will find them, small or big. 

Been keeping an eye on the water temp, seems a tad behind then other years. But perhaps some are starting to show. 

water temp 2021.png

Edited by foxfai

On 4/25/2021 at 9:02 AM, bob_G said:

Nice.  Now that we understand each other, maybe as a show of good faith you could post some of your best GPS coordinates.  

Here ya go, my BEST!

042621spot.jpg

Did well today. Was on a bite from 9-2. Landed 14 fish. Largest was 23”. Buddy caught it. Only 2 shorts in the bunch. Out in the kayak about a little over a mile out from the launch area 

72F8B5A6-13C7-460B-A7BF-E4B28706A3E5.jpeg

5CEEE148-0DE9-401B-9903-A0F4FA486983.jpeg

11 hours ago, saxon59 said:

Dthfrmabove, beautiful fish. Well done.

Thank you.  My favorite fish to catch and helps the winter blues go away real fast 

Went out yesterday morning.   Fished in 20’ of water and 30’.    Fished for about 4 hours. Caught tog and a few scup and BSB as bycatch on the crabs in 20’.  Did well until tide got close to low and then shut down.  Left 20’ spot and went deeper but not much going on at 30’.   Only hit one spot as wind was really picking up so came back closer to shore to wrap up.    Largest was 5.5 lb male.   Lots of shorts.   Good sized scup.    BSB were all small and only 2-3 caught.   Not a great day but not terrible.   Good to be back on the water and catching.  

They are around now. Spotty. No monster but typical 15-17" size fishes. Some seabass by catch. HUGE 15+" scup..... I thought that's a tad too early for them.....

IMG_20210506_090017467.jpg