Wenz

Are tautogs back to the shore yet?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Thanks, I think I need to narrow down the area, unless you want me to start in Dennis...

The west jetty/rock at the mouth of The Westport River and the beach immediately to the west. Toss a two hook rig with crabs for a high rate of success. You can buy crabs at Westport Marine (Westport Bait and Tackle) or Lucky Bait/Warren, RI for short money. Cut them in 1/2.

Let us know how you do! 

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

The west jetty/rock at the mouth of The Westport River and the beach immediately to the west. Toss a two hook rig with crabs for a high rate of success. You can buy crabs at Westport Marine (Westport Bait and Tackle) or Lucky Bait/Warren, RI for short money. Cut them in 1/2.

Let us know how you do! 

Isn't this a spot burn?  Or does that only apply to stripers?

9 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Thanks, I think I need to narrow down the area, unless you want me to start in Dennis...

My advice is use google maps and just look for jetties that are accessible. You might have to drive by the areas you find as well to find out how accessible they are. You can try the mentioned jetty, but now that it was been mentioned you may be hard pressed to find standing room.

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

Yes (to both)

Thanks Jason, I didn't mean to create a spot burn, feel free to delete/edit (I sure memorized it though haha). I wasn't hoping for this much detail, I will let you know once I make it out there.

3 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Thanks Jason, I didn't mean to create a spot burn, feel free to delete/edit (I sure memorized it though haha). I wasn't hoping for this much detail, I will let you know once I make it out there.

Lots of people fish there. Just keep in mind that it can be dangerous and slippery on the big rock itself. Look for and cast to rocks sticking up as you see them walking to the west. Some will hold fish and some they avoid for some reason. "Trial and error"....

4 mins ago, jason colby said:

It's a really GREAT STRIPER SPOT too! 

Great.  When it gets overrun with people, don't come here to complain. :laugh:

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Isn't this a spot burn?  Or does that only apply to stripers?

I'm from Westport. What he didn't mention was its town resident parking and you can be ticketed($50)if you don't have a sticker. Also kind of a dick move for a boat/charter fisherman to give out shore spots. Have any GPS coordinates  of your honey holes you would like to share with us?

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Great.  When it gets overrun with people, don't come here to complain. :laugh:

Virtually everything we do on here is the essence of "a burn". But if we are to share and help then why add limitations? "The Canal" is a classic example: Who doesn't know about it? Is it a burn to say something that everyone knows about? And then there is the fact that not everyone catches every time they fish there. The same with any place, and any place can be "great". It is really a matter of timing and you can't accurately burn timing, that has to be learned.....

1 min ago, Chris76 said:

I'm from Westport. What he didn't mention was its town resident parking and you can be ticketed($50)if you don't have a sticker. Also kind of a dick move for a boat/charter fisherman to give out shore spots. Have any GPS coordinates  of your honey holes you would like to share with us?

Hundreds of them!

1 min ago, Chris76 said:

I agree, that's why I brought it up.  I wouldn't do it. But tog are his cup of tea.  So if he's cool with it, who am I to judge.

3 mins ago, Chris76 said:

By the way, I doubt me mentioning the place would increase foot traffic any noticeable amount as like you said, it has limited access. 

Sorry if it bothered you ...

2 mins ago, jason colby said:

Hundreds of them!

Nice.  Now that we understand each other, maybe as a show of good faith you could post some of your best GPS coordinates.  

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Nice.  Now that we understand each other, maybe as a show of good faith you could post some of your best GPS coordinates.  

I'm not much with technology. I can show you a picture of a little "fishy icon" on my screen....