Wenz

Are tautogs back to the shore yet?

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Bitter?

They are if you pick them after the flower forms.  Also stems are bitter.  

Young greens, remove stem as far up as you can. 

Olive oil. Red wine vinegar 

Sliced hard boiled egg.

I'm not a huge fan of dandelion greens, but they are fantastic for you. Just becareful if your on blood thinners. You can over do it. 

Same goes for chicory. 

I'm a huge fan of plantain (not the banana)  I eat them alot.  

Another thing I never see people do is eat the dandelion flowers & seeds.  Both really delicious. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Not sure of their proper name but,  the one I like have a stem that resembles celery.

They taste like fresh green beans :th:

On 4/22/2021 at 8:12 PM, beerdoh said:

I can confirm they are on shore in at least one buzzards bay location. I’ve seen them with my own eyes. 

Could someone roughly point me to where I can have a shot at them from the shore? I never fished for tog. Do I need to buy the crabs or could they be easily found like some people claim? Thanks.

I’ve never been able to catch very many crabs for tog fishing. They’re cheap enough to buy the green ones - spend more time fishing and less time chasing crabs around. I usually cut their legs off and cut them in half. 

Rocky shorelines and jetties, even some fishing piers, can hold tog. They like structure. 

17 mins ago, HarborBoy said:

I’ve never been able to catch very many crabs for tog fishing. They’re cheap enough to buy the green ones - spend more time fishing and less time chasing crabs around. I usually cut their legs off and cut them in half. 

Rocky shorelines and jetties, even some fishing piers, can hold tog. They like structure. 

Thanks, I think I need to narrow down the area, unless you want me to start in Dennis...

12 hours ago, Two Rock said:

It was a rite of spring when I was in college in Maine, brook trout and fiddleheads, with a side of Allen’s coffee brandy lol 

That probably would have been the main course when i was in college. :p