Hyped up lures that don't work for you?

Rate this topic

VitaminDee

On 2/21/2021 at 10:14 AM, Mandoborg said:

Funny thing about slug-go's for me is I can only catch on the white ones !!  Tried many different colors, but only seem to hook up on white. And it's quite often the only thing in my bag that works ! 

White imo is the best go to color, I have to have at least one of every type of lure application be in the bone/white color 

8 hours ago, ACFishing said:

White imo is the best go to color, I have to have at least one of every type of lure application be in the bone/white color 

I always thought black was the best color for the Slug-go at night until someone told me to try the white, or albino color as Lunker City labels it. I did but still found that black worked the best for me at least after dark and in the 9" version. I tried 9" white ones many times during darkness and caught fish but not at the rate (or size) of the black ones. The white color did work better during daylight hours though.

2 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I always thought black was the best color for the Slug-go at night until someone told me to try the white, or albino color as Lunker City labels it. I did but still found that black worked the best for me at least after dark and in the 9" version. I tried 9" white ones many times during darkness and caught fish but not at the rate (or size) of the black ones. The white color did work better during daylight hours though.

I'd agree black or blurple is always a killer at night but all around white seems to just get it done for me all the time unless the fish are keyed in on a certain color

On 2/18/2021 at 2:37 PM, VitaminDee said:

What hyped up lure everyone raves about but it just doesn't work for you?

I've yet to catch a striper, or blue, with a Sebile Magic Swimmer. I have 2 in my lure bag. They cast like shyte. I do so well with other lures that I never bother to take out a Sebile.

However, in freshwater I have caught rainbows, lakers and smallies on the smalliest Sebiles, usually trolling them, sometimes casting.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:37 PM, coastalfreak said:

Super spook or really all walking topwaters for freshwater. I’m sure I haven’t given them a fair shake though and fish them in the opposite conditions in which they are intend to be fished. Love the action and working them though. 

I just started using them this year. In the fall I was fishing a spot that's great for lakers and smallies. I got to the spot at 1st light. During the 1st hour I got one laker on my shiner rod, nothing on lures. A guy shows up who I know loves to target smallies. He cast a freshwater popper off to my left to a flat, about 10' deep. He got a nice 4lb smallie on the 1st cast on a big, topwater explosion. He fished for a couple of hours. While he was there he got 3 nice smallies, in the 4lb range, on poppers, before he left.

After watching this I ordered a couple of poppers online. The next time I was at this spot, at first light, I cast out to the same flat. I got a big top water hit but unfortunately this fish came off.  I know smallie guys love throwing poppers late in the summer and early fall.

On 2/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, Stripsettter said:

Agreed. I’ve had great luck over the years throwing unweighted sluggos in back bays at night and just letting them drift with twitches here and there

I don’t know what I’d do without sluggos.

Why aren’t you fishing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:53 PM, Ba Ba Buoy said:

So a reverse lipless windcheater mini pencil...:b: very interesting. I will surely try this re purpose. :th:

Hi Gary,  :howdy:

Did you end up trying this?  

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

21 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Hi Gary,  :howdy:

Did you end up trying this?  

I never did. :o With an army of wood pencils waiting for the call, I never got around to the windcheater pencil experiment. It still sits in the guest bag, in tact and seldom fished. I don't worry about the loss of guest bag expendable plugs for folks to learn on. I also never look in that bag unless I have visitors looking to try out angling. The idea still sounds intriguing to me, perhaps a good next winter time project? :shrug:

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

On 2/18/2021 at 7:17 PM, Mark L said:

I can’t believe no one has said the sp bullet, lotta hype but not so good. 

Was fishing with Donny Musso up in Montauk - he says to take the rear hook off and replace it with a flag.

I did and won our little Farragut Club Summer Picnic tournament (I was a guest) using a root beer Bullet. 

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962