VitaminDee

Hyped up lures that don't work for you?

Rate this topic

128 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

Slow day at work and thinking about all the lures I have.

What hyped up lure everyone raves about but it just doesn't work for you?

Mine would be the freakin Needle fish plugs. As many times I tried using it, I still haven't caught anything on it yet.

slow crawled and even slower after that and nothing yet. :waah:

Needle fish plugs is something, id never leave home without. I have caught day and night for years. Color, size, shape, action. Most of the problem you have to fish where the fish are and that could be a problem nowadays.

Flying Fish - as advertised on TV. I have a bunch somewhere, may have tried them once or twice back in the day...but they didn't catch on a day I was catching on other stuff

11 hours ago, Rougesun said:

Really? Mirrolures? They are great, especially for puppy drum and trout. Even flounder. A twitch or two and let them sink/float/drag whatever. Don’t give up. Love the 52. 

I agree but NC is a different fishery than where most these guys fish. 

12 hours ago, albacized said:

Flying Fish - as advertised on TV. I have a bunch somewhere, may have tried them once or twice back in the day...but they didn't catch on a day I was catching on other stuff

Oops - meant to say 'flying lures'

14 hours ago, ReelPeeler said:

Take that lip off and move that back hook to the front hanger. Makes for a really erratic small pencil popper that I have done extremely well with

So a reverse lipless windcheater mini pencil...:b: very interesting. I will surely try this re purpose. :th:

Yup,not the lure it the fisherman.Personally i don't do well with spook type lures,basically because i don't fish them much. When guys are doing well on them,i usually do just as good with SP,s or Gags or hogy pro tails.Anyone who thinks SPs are junk i will gladly takethem to the dump for free,as i have a good relation with the people at my local dump

Posted (edited)

If i were to take a rookie/newb out surfcasting, I would likely set them up with an SP as it requires minimal skill to fish and almost always catches.

I think everybody on here probably had lures they couldnt catch on at some point in time. For me, it was darters and needlefish.  I thought they just flat out didnt work in my area.  Then one by one i dedicated time to learning how to fish each style of lure.  This takes a committment, as you will initially catch less fish by not throwing your confidence lures, but in the end will come out a better and more versatile angler.  The darter came easy to me as it mimics larger baitfish in my areas.  The needle took longer to learn as their were not many sandeels around when i was learnimg.  These days needles and darters are always in my bag and my PB came on a needle.  Alot of nights the darter may be first to get cast.

Edited by MikeK
Spelling

On 2/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, Slacker said:

False albacore is all they are good for, IMO.  But they are great for that.

They are good for other fish too.

I can’t hook up in anything with the big yo zuri mag darters.

little one  is great, but i don’t have any success with the big one. No idea why, I even throw the same colors of the two. 

2 hours ago, MikeK said:

If i were to take a rookie/newb out surfcasting, I would likely set them up with an SP as it requires minimal skill to fish and almost always catches.

I think everybody on here probably had lures they couldnt catch on at some point in time. For me, it was darters and needlefish.  I thought they just flat out didnt work in my area.  Then one by one i dedicated time to learning how to fish each style of lure.  This takes a committment, as you will initially catch less fish by not throwing your confidence lures, but in the end will come out a better and more versatile angler.  The darter came easy to me as it mimics larger baitfish in my areas.  The needle took longer to learn as their were not many sandeels around when i was learnimg.  These days needles and darters are always in my bag and my PB came on a needle.  Alot of nights the darter may be first to get cast.

MikeK. Well said, if i can take 3 things at night... bucktail, needle, darter. Now retired been upgraded to a few new shiny ones. :)100_1808.JPG.9513879485f5daf53616316e2ce3fefe.JPG

I usually setup newbies with a SP minnow as their first lure. Easy search bait. Just reel and little twitch catches fish for them.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:37 PM, coastalfreak said:

Super spook or really all walking topwaters for freshwater. I’m sure I haven’t given them a fair shake though and fish them in the opposite conditions in which they are intend to be fished. Love the action and working them though. 

one of my favorite baits for LM bass and Striper.