Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MitchellNJ said:

SP Minnow. Complete pieces of crap.

2nd this. except for bluefish blitzes 

for me the big winner (or loser in this case) has to be pencil poppers

1 hour ago, MitchellNJ said:

SP Minnow. Complete pieces of crap.

Probably one of my more successful lures  and priced right......always in the rotation and in the bag....just saying...

It's all about presentation isn't it? ... and with Stripers what they have keyed in on. When first taking up fly fishing I had a day when Stripers were breaking all around. Nothing (sizable flies) I threw at them worked. Then I went small ... a small epoxy fly and hooked up every cast. 

Guys will fish plugs ... nice plugs ... even ones with red heads and not get a hit. They tie on a teaser or a red gill sand eel dropper ... and boom, a hook up. It took me a long time to learn that one needs to "match the hatch". And that principal applies to lures as well.

Of course those large Doc Musky Mania spooks reliably blow up fish .... and blow up the theory espoused above.

1 hour ago, ReelPeeler said:

Anything with a red head / white body. White bucktail with red feathers is a different story

Words from above. That red head/white body thing is probably one color that most surf fisher folks buy at one point, probably just because its always seen, never talked about.

It never produced for me and I'd bet its more than 40 years since I've wet a read head, in many ways ;), cuz' I never did a thing with them.

Others that I tried and gave chances too were 17A Bombers, I just stuck with the 16's. Other bombs were the Boone Needle, they fell apart in package, never liked anything Rebel except the Windcheater, that was used when a Red Fin couldn't be tossed.

A suggestion to those that doubt needles, in the early 80's we had sand eels galore and the needle which along with the rigged fake eel were magnets. Then the sand eels disappeared from time to time and the needle cooled off as well as many other things, no sand eels at night in November in NJ meant slim pickin's. Found myself using it less and less and thats what happens with stuff, nothing easier than casting a needle and crawling it back, yet I lost confidence in it, when that happens it becomes a 5 minute lure, if after 5 minutes it doesn't produce, it gets back in its hole. Then you go a few weeks without it, not needed or wanted, and it becomes almost extinct. The reason it becomes extinct is because fished properly, its boring, the slower the better, a few twitches now to maintain sanity, its just hard to say your having fun.  Its like going 20 mph on the turnpike. Made for those with slow heart rates.

But if you doubt it, tie a teaser ahead and give it a fighters chance, its a great casting missile even with a teaser, and then you have 2 baits in productive waters at the same time. The needle and teaser (usually a feather/bucktail) or rubber are similar and must piss off  their predators as the teaser produces as well or better than the lure. I'd rather a needle carrier for a teaser rig than any other lure, and get yourself a good top water needle, like a Choopy or 3. The 5/8 oz Choopy is never wrong if conditions permit. Until they arrived, Gibbs were always well built, Stubbys were my choice of needles. Sinkers are another subject, for arguments sake the plastic Super Strike is as good as whats needed and sold.

So, try the needle and teaser set up and give it an honest chance, I like the floaters in seas up to 18" after that break out the heavier stuff and bucktails.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have not done well with metal lips.

Large or small, it doesn’t matter, they simply haven’t produced well for me.

Not sure why.

I love the way they look when they swim.

In fairness, they are not the first plugs I reach for so I typically don’t work with them all that much.

Ah, maybe I’ll change things up a bit this year and give some metal lips a little more attention.

Edited by valentine

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Everything chasebaits........

The crabs work for sheepshead, but that's down south. I'll be trying them in three years when I permanently relocate.

4 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Everything SuperStrike. I have a ton of them in my bag: Darters, Bottleplugs, Poppers, N-Fish...I just don't catch on them. I take off a SS Darter and put on a T/A Sub-Darter and I catch. I take off a SS Bottle Plug and put on a Northbar...and I catch. I've worn out SS plugs having never caught on them. I think I've only ever caught on one SS chartreuse Darter and a yellow popper that was in the middle of a blitz.

I literally have worn out/broken SS plugs that have never caught.

Bottle plugs are best used in a sloppy wash, darters are best used in little to no wash with current. The bottle darter is a hybrid, and best used as a trial and error in different conditions. Glad you found the Northbar bottle darter useful, because I've never landed anything on them, lol. As for the traditional bottle; I've ground ground/sanded down the plastic lip and used them in calmer waters and have caught many a keeper with them. 

4 hours ago, Jason B said:

MirrOlures m##, haven’t caught jack on them. Awfully purdy though

Me too. I keep buying different models thinking this one might catch - nada

But they are purdy !

Just now, Fishtale7 said:

Bottle plugs are best used in a sloppy wash, darters are best used in little to no wash with current. The bottle darter is a hybrid, and best used as a trial and error in different conditions. Glad you found the Northbar bottle darter useful, because I've never landed anything on them, lol. As for the traditional bottle; I've ground ground/sanded down the plastic lip and used them in calmer waters and have caught many a keeper with them. 

Thanks, I know where to use them and I know How to use them...I have literally lost more Super Strike plugs than I have caught fish with them. Last year, I lost three Superstrikes, caught zero fish with Superstrikes. Doesn't stop me from buying them. The Northbar Bottledarter Jrs are money for me. They don't swim as deep as the SS bottle so maybe that explains why they catch in calmer waters as well. I think I have every color.

17 mins ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

Deadly dick.  Don't think I've ever even had a hit on one except mackerel!

False albacore is all they are good for, IMO.  But they are great for that.