dannyplug1

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THE LONGEST BUCK TAIL?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I been working on my hollow flies its going OK but I want to push the envelope in terms of size I have tried using the mono extension and the shanks  but want to try the longest buck tail I can find.  I did a google search for the states with the biggest deer.  I figured biggest deer longest tail fibers.  I came up with Wisconsin  Kentucky Ohio Indiana Iowa Minnesota and Illinois.  Should OI  be looking to purchase buck tail from fly shops in these states or is there a website that specializes in the longest best buck tail?

Edited by dannyplug1

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another option is White Tail Fly Tieing in Geneva IL. They process a lot of deer themselves. A great source for tails and hair for spinning for muddlers and bass bugs etc. This was originally Chris Helms shop.

Edited by JEFFSOD

5 hours ago, Drew C. said:

If I were looking for that I would not purchase sight unseen but if I did I would expect some of it to not meet my standards. 

I agree strongly. Hackle and bucktail I like to purchase in person. I can go into a shop and pull down a dz tails and pick one or two that I like and that’s if I’m lucky. I’ve been through a lot of tails and I know these days what I want.

I got some nice ones at the bears den too. Like stated above for Fur and Feathers I like to pick my own.

That's a tough item to post.Folks who know usually keep that source "close to the vest" so to speak.Finding bucktails with hair over 6" is fairly rare.I'll add I 've found some through Brad Buzzi over the years but like others have stated you've got to put them in hand and that is usually at the shows around the country.Also,try other shows that not only cater to flytying/flyfishing but other sports or activities.:howdy:

I remember the days when Ray Rumph had the best long and quality bucktails.

Don't even know if they are still around anymore?

Check out Brad Bussy here. He buys in bulk and does all the dying.

56 mins ago, theshadow said:

That's a tough item to post.Folks who know usually keep that source "close to the vest" so to speak.Finding bucktails with hair over 6" is fairly rare.I'll add I 've found some through Brad Buzzi over the years but like others have stated you've got to put them in hand and that is usually at the shows around the country.Also,try other shows that not only cater to flytying/flyfishing but other sports or activities.:howdy:

I’ve had good luck at some of the local fishing flea markets. You’ll have to pick thru but I can usually some some decent ones and maybe even some good ones. 

I also look often whenever I’m in a fly shop. Sometimes you get lucky. I will never pass up a good tail even if I don’t need it at the time. 

On 2/18/2021 at 0:15 PM, dannyplug1 said:

I been working on my hollow flies its going OK but I want to push the envelope in terms of size I have tried using the mono extension and the shanks  but want to try the longest buck tail I can find.  I did a google search for the states with the biggest deer.  I figured biggest deer longest tail fibers.  I came up with Wisconsin  Kentucky Ohio Indiana Iowa Minnesota and Illinois.  Should OI  be looking to purchase buck tail from fly shops in these states or is there a website that specializes in the longest best buck tail?

There is no relationship between tail length and the length of the hair on it.  I can show you a 16" long tail with 2" hair and a 7" tail with 6" hair.  No two tails are the same. Age, gender, climate, food supply and type and genetics all have a bearing on hair length on any given tail.

All the advice above is good especially the "look and see" yourself.  

3 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

There is no relationship between tail length and the length of the hair on it.  I can show you a 16" long tail with 2" hair and a 7" tail with 6" hair.  No two tails are the same. Age, gender, climate, food supply and type and genetics all have a bearing on hair length on any given tail.

All the advice above is good especially the "look and see" yourself.  

Wondered if in general big deer big tail?  I know certain states have bigger deer,

15 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

Wondered if in general big deer big tail?  I know certain states have bigger deer,

i am usually able to pick up a couple dozen a year from hunting and the road. few years back i got to pick through 48 skins and the tails were getting thrown out. From what i have seen the nicer longer hair is on the younger deer. was also told this by a taxidermist and a deer hide buyer.