rockyoutdoors

I Did Not Know Yaks Cost This Much.......pics

41 posts in this topic

45 mins ago, G8trwood said:

There is always HD pink foam and a glue gun ;) 

I believe that's how Tim Niemier started Ocean Kayaks! At least it would be light and cheap. Pro tip, contact cement works better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 10:47 PM, gellfex said:

Maybe a better plan is to campaign for these monstrosities to stop being called 'kayaks'. At this point what does it mean, any boat you sit in the center of? Power and size are no longer it, 1 person never has been. So what makes it a kayak except for marketIng? calling this a kayak is like calling a minivan a 'sports car'. I guess there's no law, but there should be! Maybe any boat a normal person can't heave up on their shoulder is no longer a kayak?

There was a major argument about calling SOTs kayaks in the early days of kayak fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, Santiago II said:

There was a major argument about calling SOTs kayaks in the early days of kayak fishing.

I can see that, but the change from a decked and skirted boat to the unsinkable sit on top was minor compared to the variants going on now. At this point I can't think of a single feature that actually defines something as a kayak except multiple occupants not sitting side by side. You have the Native Ultimate which is basically a canoe, motors, even multihulls.  Is a kayak now anything you can "kind of, sort of" paddle with a 2 bladed paddle if you're inclined?

 

I guess the only thing that keeps this from being a kayak is they don't have two blades, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too tough to find someone to argue that single bladed kayaking is totally legit.

 

post-15110-0-53173700-1431014146.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a 14' pro angler and it was a nice kayak and got me many places a boat wouldn't. I converted a jet ski trailer to haul it backing the yak into the water. Problem with yaks if your choice of fishing location is fish less, I would call it a day. With a boat no problem moving to a new location. Another issue was how close boats got to you either thru arrogance or ignorance. Hobie had a lot of issues with cracking where the drive was inserted. Is that still an issue?

Edited by squidder 329

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, squidder 329 said:

I had a 14' pro angler and it was a nice kayak and got me many places a boat wouldn't. I converted a jet ski trailer to haul it backing the yak into the water. Problem with yaks if your choice of fishing location is fish less, I would call it a day. With a boat no problem moving to a new location. Another issue was how close boats got to you either thru arrogance or ignorance. Hobie had a lot of issues with cracking where the drive was inserted. Is that still an issue?

Here is just one on the Hobie Kayaks Web board. A 2020. So, yes, hulls are still leaking. 
 

 

 

 

8711CCE1-331C-44F6-A371-3AF71F07C0E7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

WE have the propensity in this country to take something designed  in a way to be efficiently run on human power, graceful, and well suited to do a job , and metastasizing it into an expensive, overblown, gadgetized, lumbering, machine, that helps remove use in steps from the intimacy of the task we set out to participate in. There is sometime great satisfaction in staying some what on a primitive level.  Completing a task with Simplicity can be most rewarding. Lets not forget what we set out to do. I have yet to see a bow hunter with a semi automatic bow.

 

Edited by Fishinjohny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fishinjohny said:

WE have the propensity in this country to take something designed  in a way to be efficiently run on human power, graceful, and well suited to do a job , and metastasizing it into an expensive, overblown, gadgetized, lumbering, machine, that helps remove use in steps from the intimacy of the task we set out to participate in. There is sometime great satisfaction in staying some what on a primitive level.  Completing a task with Simplicity can be most rewarding. Lets not forget what we set out to do. I have yet to see a bow hunter with a semi automatic bow.

You're right, there's a metaphor in there somewhere.  It's interesting that only bikes and high end reels escape this, because weight is so integral to performance.  Remember everyone getting their minds blown when the Mazda Miata came out? Smaller, cheaper, simpler! How un-American!!!

 

However, I bet a longbow hunter would have a lot to say about modern compound bows and all their widgetry...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gellfex said:

You're right, there's a metaphor in there somewhere.  It's interesting that only bikes and high end reels escape this, because weight is so integral to performance.

Not necessarily. Mountain bikes get more complex and heavier, unutil the purists get fed up an demand a stripped down, pure version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Inuit defined the kayak before any of this nonsense started.  It translates as "man-boat".  The double-end paddle was a characteristic unique to kayaks and distinguishes them from canoes... at least pre-Hobie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.