rockyoutdoors

I Did Not Know Yaks Cost This Much.......pics

41 posts in this topic

LOL! Not even a motor at that price?  That makes Skinner's new electric look like a bargain!  Plus it probably weighs more than a 14' skiff too, engine and all.

Kayak Fishing use to be simple.  For most of us it still is! 

There is more gear on that kayak than 

what I keep on my 20 foot center console! 

21 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Kayak Fishing use to be simple.  For most of us it still is! 

There is more gear on that kayak than 

what I keep on my 20 foot center console! 

I like kayaks and I like boats but that “kayak” is not good at being either one.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

LOL! Not even a motor at that price?  That makes Skinner's new electric look like a bargain!  Plus it probably weighs more than a 14' skiff too, engine and all.

Not even sonar. At least it has a livewell.

20 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Not even sonar. At least it has a livewell.

I didn't catch that. Amazing. The markup on all that useless crap must be unbelievable. These mfrs figure they can really hose you on the accessories once you have the boat. Eddyline charges $60 for a vacuuformed bucket to put in their hatch, that just fills with water anyway through their leaky hatch lid

fronehatchlinerfrontquarter800_400x.jpg?

We might have to create a category of "primitive kayak", which are mainly SOTs on touring hulls. 

I love to fish, but I also love to paddle hulls that work with the water. There aren't many left.

4 mins ago, Santiago II said:

We might have to create a category of "primitive kayak", which are mainly SOTs on touring hulls. 

I love to fish, but I also love to paddle hulls that work with the water. There aren't many left.

Maybe a better plan is to campaign for these monstrosities to stop being called 'kayaks'. At this point what does it mean, any boat you sit in the center of? Power and size are no longer it, 1 person never has been. So what makes it a kayak except for marketIng? calling this a kayak is like calling a minivan a 'sports car'. I guess there's no law, but there should be! Maybe any boat a normal person can't heave up on their shoulder is no longer a kayak?

Just now, gellfex said:

Maybe a better plan is to campaign for these monstrosities to stop being called 'kayaks'. At this point what does it mean, any boat you sit in the center of? Power and size are no longer it, 1 person never has been. So what makes it a kayak except for marketIng? calling this a kayak is like calling a minivan a 'sports car'. I guess there's no law, but there should be! Maybe any boat a normal person can't heave up on their shoulder is no longer a kayak?

LOL who cares? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

40 mins ago, buddha162 said:

LOL who cares? 

What if someone made an electric powered, laser guided, programmable ball hitting device and called it a 'pool cue'? You okay with calling it the same thing as that beautiful piece of wood that takes years to master?

Edited by gellfex

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, gellfex said:

What if someone made an electric powered, laser guided, programmable ball hitting device and called it a 'pool cue'? You okay with calling it the same thing as that beautiful piece of wood that takes years to master?

Awful analogy - pool is a game, it has rules. For the vast majority of kayak fishermen the emphasis is on the fishing, not the kayaking. There are no rules in fishing as to what platform allows you to get closer to the fish, and what to call said platform. I've fished from an inflatable surfboard with a seat and a mirage drive for 5 years - is it a kayak? is it a SUP? Who gives a ****? I make the most of it and I spend 99% of my brain energy on how to catch fish. 

All this hand wringing from people who fish a certain way and can't wrap their heads around how other people fish...it's a way to pass the time in the off season I guess.

Edited by buddha162

7 hours ago, rockyoutdoors said:

Went to a kayak store looking for some Yak Attack things and saw this yak for sale.

151139518_10219717656438139_482533268856

149406267_10219717659078205_703415615746

By the time whoever buys that thing kits it out with torqueedo and electronics it'll be over 10k. Still cheaper than a bass boat!

19 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Awful analogy - pool is a game, it has rules.

Nothing in my BCA rulebook would disqualify my gadget. But that's not the point and you know it.