Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MakoMike

Thinking of moving my boat to NJ

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

I've been out in skiffs in BL many times. During the summer the weekend boat traffic is incredible. I don't know if the fluking sucks in the rest of the bay or what but between everyone fishing and blowing through the channels it's a keep your head on a swivel kind of place. The inlet is also on the rougher side. Decent fishing out there. Never really have a greenhead problem while fishing, run into that more in Great Bay.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have been running Barnegat Inlet for close to 50 years.  Inlet is actually much better than it was before they fixed the south Jetty back in the 90's.  You do have to watch the inlet, if their is a flood tide and it is running out with a swell hitting he beach, it can get pretty nasty.  First time out you need to watch that North Jetty.  The last 100 yards is submerged so make sure you clear the stanchion before trying to enter or exit the inlet.  You will see the majority of the boats as long as they are not going to head south, turn North exiting the inlet as soon as they clear the stanchion.  They do this to avoid the outer bar in the channel which actually extends well past the jetty's.

You can find a slip on the west side of the bay, somewhere from Forked River to Waretown.  Waretown gives you more of a direct access to the inlet.  You should be able to make the inlet in about 15 minutes from Waretown.  Forked River is further North up the Bay so adds about 15 minutes to the run, depending on where you are docked.

The other option is a slip in Barnegat Light, but then you have to fight the summer traffic on the Island to get to the boat.

The bay actually holds plenty of Fluke.  You just need to learn the bay.  

Plenty of Crabs, and Blow Fishing has been good the past several years.  Kingfish have also made a pretty good showing in the bays over the last few years.

Early spring, good sized blue fish have invaded the bay, will they continue to do that who knows.  Stripers in the bay early spring and fall.  Again need to learn the bay.  

If you want to just enjoy the bay with the family several spots for anchoring up and swimming.  

If you are an offshore fisherman, gives you the best access to the Hudson and Southern Canyons from one spot.  

Unfortunately, Fluke fishing off the beach has been tough last few years.  Plenty of Fluke, just all seemed to be under 18 inches.  

Several wrecks within striking distance of the beach including some in deeper water.

But like we all say, it is fishing, so there are plenty of dry days.  No matter what is available, you don't always bring home fish.

Edited by 31BBert

Hi, these replies are all spot on. I was in BL this past monday and saw slips available signs at the larger marinas. I run my 17' Montauk all over the bay and run out the inlet on calm days. If you do decide on BL it's still a quiet beach town. Couple restaurants, couple bars, couple icecream shops. Great family place when you step off the boat. Good luck with your search.

19 hours ago, dbjpb said:

I hope you like green heads. Nasty little bugs. 

This may seem down on the list of concerns, its worse than you can imagine in areas south of Barnegat. To play it safe from a bug situation, make Manasquan Inlet be as far south as you want to be. Cost is a little more, convenience is worth  it, that Route 9 corridor from Toms River to Little Egg Harbor should be pushed into the bay and sunk forever,  and its the only way to get around town.   Misery is having to drive in the summer during the day, I'd rather have a tooth pulled.

Go north of there mamasquan or Toms River.   We can play together.  Shark mike and bellringer on the high seas just like old times. 

Are you going to move down here?

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

Go north of there mamasquan or Toms River.   We can play together.  Shark mike and bellringer on the high seas just like old times. 

Are you going to move down here?

No, my daughter is buying a summer place right on the bay in the town of Barnegat. She wan't me to move the boat down there. We shall see.

Thanks to everyone for the info, its very helpful.

Call Adam Sherer at Sherer's Boat Basin... he usually has a few slips and is in Barnegat.. on East Bay Ave.  He is Stafford cop but still runs the business with his family... really good guy.  Really top level fisherman too...

Had my boat in BI for a long time behind a friends house in High Bar Harbor.. great fishing but what a PIA to drive all the way out to B. Light from the mainland, especially during the tourista season...

Edited by fmtuna

So since we're here, can anyone tell me why it seems like the lighthouse area is the go to fluking spot for most? I mean the inlet is right there and everything that comes along with it I understand, but what's the deal? I'm sure sharp dudes have great spots that are not in that area because there's a whole lot of bay to explore. I've kayaked out in the bay but the only fishing I've done has been on land or from a rental skiff in BL. I do have my own boat now though so I mean I'm down to explore.

If you are going to be in Barnegat, you will need to take Double Creek Channel to the Inlet.  That Channel is open now, but it does have some skinny spots.  There are some good Fluking spots along the edge of that channel.  

There are plenty of Fluke on the west side of the bay drifting between Waretown and Forked River.  You just have to learn the bay.  I am in Forked River so I have never run Double Creek but I would follow someone first time out.  I would suggest the same thing for running the inlet.  Someone that knows the short cuts is helpful.  

The Green Fly's do start to increase down there, but out on the water you are ok.  There are days when a west wind will kill you on the water with the Black Fly's.  

Some areas of Barnegat got hit pretty hard with Sandy, so tell her to choose carefully. 

Just to make sure, you mean the town of Barnegat and not Barnegat Light.  There is a difference.  A big, big difference.

Edited by 31BBert

12 hours ago, MakoMike said:

No, my daughter is buying a summer place right on the bay in the town of Barnegat. She wan't me to move the boat down there. We shall see.

Thanks to everyone for the info, its very helpful.

She have a dock???

12 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

So since we're here, can anyone tell me why it seems like the lighthouse area is the go to fluking spot for most? I mean the inlet is right there and everything that comes along with it I understand, but what's the deal? I'm sure sharp dudes have great spots that are not in that area because there's a whole lot of bay to explore. I've kayaked out in the bay but the only fishing I've done has been on land or from a rental skiff in BL. I do have my own boat now though so I mean I'm down to explore.

Is this a spot burn!?  :D