stripedbassjeff

The dumbest stuff I've done on Fishing Kayak

16 posts in this topic

Lost my anchor in extremely strong current. 

Lost a good light saltwater combo over the side cause it wasn't leashed.

Lost a **** combo overboard cause I thought I put it in the holder but was the drink.

Went into plymouth bay between storms and got caught a squall about a 200 yards from shore. I just tucked my self under the keel of a large boat till it past 

Got lost in the fog of scorton creek and could hear large tanker boats around me.

Came back at low tide on a rocky beach and ruined my hobie cart trying to get back to the car. 

Tide came up into my car while out on trip. Last 3 happen on the same day.

Long island Quincy, got stuck on a mud flat while a bad lighting storm  approached. Ran in need deep mud back to shore.

Went on a 10 mile trip with and old hobie seat=3 weeks PT for back.

Went out Fort pierce inlet and almost got sucked out to the ocean where 10' waves were crashing into it. I grab onto the hazard Bouy and shouted for help till a boat rescued me. 

Saw a guy flip his rig during  the out going on the shark river between the ocean road bridge and the mouth of the river...he made it to the rocks  with his kayak but there was equip floating every where , some of it went to Davy Jones locker  and some of it continued to Europe ...no one was hurt that was the best part...

Dead flat calm water SWFL snook fishing, using flyrod I got into a nice 25" ish fish, Leaned back to get fish closer to to kayak and flipped. In 3-4' water, standing there like a poster for dumbness I retrieved everything from bottom including the snook. A guide boat came over all chuckling kinda and said he saw it coming. Gave me hand for a few minutes. Even a dumb ass 75 yr who does walk on rocks anymore can't sit still. I'll call it a senior moment!!!!

11 hours ago, stripedbassjeff said:

Lost my anchor in extremely strong current. 

Lost a good light saltwater combo over the side cause it wasn't leashed.

Lost a **** combo overboard cause I thought I put it in the holder but was the drink.

Went into plymouth bay between storms and got caught a squall about a 200 yards from shore. I just tucked my self under the keel of a large boat till it past 

Got lost in the fog of scorton creek and could hear large tanker boats around me.

Came back at low tide on a rocky beach and ruined my hobie cart trying to get back to the car. 

Tide came up into my car while out on trip. Last 3 happen on the same day.

Long island Quincy, got stuck on a mud flat while a bad lighting storm  approached. Ran in need deep mud back to shore.

Went on a 10 mile trip with and old hobie seat=3 weeks PT for back.

Went out Fort pierce inlet and almost got sucked out to the ocean where 10' waves were crashing into it. I grab onto the hazard Bouy and shouted for help till a boat rescued me. 

Sounds like you make a lot of bad choices. I do hope you're the wiser for it! I learned decades ago when I started on whitewater that wise choices was the key to a good time and safety, even if it left something un-ran. As a newby I had heard lots of stories from the guys a few years ahead of my crew about getting their asses kicked all the time, but we didn't. We waited till we were ready and/or the conditions were right. Choose wisely.

I like to think experience and judgement have kept me from losing gear or having a disastrous fishing trip. Worst gear loss was pulling something out of the crate and a Plano full of plugs coming with it and going overboard. The Planos now have pool noodle buoys, as do the rods, pliers and scissors.

5b6a503555747_leashbuoys.JPG.3108675c43f5cd8ed26ea8518ba224ca.JPG

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

@gellfex how well do the rod floats work? The length of rope looks like they might get in the way of casting ... do tell

Honestly, I've neither lost one overboard nor been on fresh with that size rod to test the whole rig. But I did do this test video, a rod will float on it's own, so you're just looking to float the reel. I guess if you have a lot of weight on the line all bets are off, but most of us don't fish an 8&bait from the kayak!

I find they don't get in the way of casting at all, the only hassle has been they sometimes catch on the antenna of the radio in my front PFD pocket, a soluble problem. I ditched the plastic buoy shown and went exclusively with pool noodle. The peace of mind is tremendous, especially reaching back to put one in a flushmount or the crate holders. 

The fort pierce situation was scary. I thought to myself, there is no way that 2' tides can produce 5 knot tides! I was wrong... I was seeing 16' boats disappearing behind the waves on the way into the inlet. Thank God I brought my air horn.p

Scariest moment for me on my kayak was fishing a bridge in a heavy moon tide current. It was like 2am, i was alone and had been fishing the contours of the bridge and pylons for a few hours. The current was moving fast and I made the mistake of trying to get closer to a pylon and got pushed/slammed against it.  Everytime I pushed off it pulled me closer to the bridge and pushed back on the pylon hard. I really thought I was f'd but was able to get out of the situation without flipping (or dieing). I ended up calling it a night after that. Shouldn't have been alone. Probably shouldn't even had been there that night.

20 mins ago, cj7fisherman said:

Scariest moment for me on my kayak was fishing a bridge in a heavy moon tide current. It was like 2am, i was alone and had been fishing the contours of the bridge and pylons for a few hours. The current was moving fast and I made the mistake of trying to get closer to a pylon and got pushed/slammed against it.  Everytime I pushed off it pulled me closer to the bridge and pushed back on the pylon hard. I really thought I was f'd but was able to get out of the situation without flipping (or dieing). I ended up calling it a night after that. Shouldn't have been alone. Probably shouldn't even had been there that night.

It's crazy what you think you can fish in kayak. I tried fishing the long key bridge. But realize near mid tide  it probably wasn't doable, so I gave up.

Launched off a beach the day before a hurricane.... pretty Big surf, but timed the sets perfectly, slid down the pebble beach into the incoming wave and quickly paddled out between the sets..,made it out and back just fine... ( immediately grew an irrational Sence of abilitiy). Launched off the same spot 2 days after the same hurricane... Huge surf... almost left,,,but then (stupidly) ended up talking myself into trying anyway ... had it timed perfectly.,., but then while attempting the”slide” I got stuck on some seeweed on the beach 3/4 of the way down... had to make a split second choice ... jump out of the kayak and attempt to pull the Yak, full of gear, back up the steep pebble beach before getting destroyed by an incoming 8’r ... ooor ... push off again and paddle like my life depended on it to beat the incoming wall of water..... needless to say,  I (once again) chose poorly.... and now I have a pretty Gnarly scar to show my kids why you DONT temp fate...

On 2/17/2021 at 8:26 AM, trwhite said:

Launched out of Quonny breachway on an outgoing tide in my 300 dollar 10 foot sit on top(multiple times).

Love shooting out those breachways on the outgoing and back in on the incoming.  Guys on the jetties look at you like you're crazy 

29 mins ago, BluesCruiser said:

Well there was this.. a bit close but cool

IMG_4416.JPG

image4.jpg

Haha that's awesome. I see the dive flag.  They got balls diving out there.  I am sure you also have the best stories about whitey fishing out there!