coastalfreak

Chinese OEM Reels

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, Popasilov said:

What Okuma? Haven't seen any video of Scooby's review on Okuma.

I like Okuma and for light stuff that I do they are perfect.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought two of those Sougilang reels, a 5000 size about two years ago. I believe they are made by Ming Yang.

I buy these inexpensive reels to see how they will hold up. I did a review on the reel some time ago. They go under different names; Palemon, Orient Homr and Sougilang. 

They are ok, would I buy a slew of them,  prolly not.  But I like to tinker with these to see how they are made,  the parts, the tolerances and drags.

I put mags on two of them and left them wide open to cast. 

One thing I found out,  they are like the Abu 7000i reels where you have to undo the nut on the line out lever before you can get into the handle side plate. What i like about them, the side plate bearings and the strong reel foot. I find that it's a hassle trying to get internal parts, other than bearings or drags

16138291924006914999539608647723.jpg

16138292176614486368017411000473.jpg

16138292496282596405886262488336.jpg

16138298693868754541557022302750.jpg

Edited by jimmy z

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, TimS said:

Every time I've purchased a cheap Chinese reel - and it's only been a half dozen times just to try stuff out - I've been disappointed. Even the ones that worked well out of the box rusted quickly or didn't hold up to fishing for very long. If Scooby fishes it in the salt I'll be interested to hear how long it holds up :)

I have one two years now Tim, a 5xxx size round baitcaster. Still using it and it still performs ok. :howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

11 hours ago, Popasilov said:

What Okuma? Haven't seen any video of Scooby's review on Okuma.

I like Okuma and for light stuff that I do they are perfect.

An EPIXOR EPXT 30 He liked the way the bail closed. It's a decent little reel for trout.

6 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Hell, I have some amazon gift cards laying around. May buy a cheap one just to fool around with. 

You should.

Just to see what is around. Play for few days and if it doesn't work, return it.

More we know about bad stuff, we will more appreciate good stuff.

Out of principle I won't buy any reel with a hex type handle.  I briefly entertained buying a Piscifun viper as mostly a LMB reel that could also catch spring run schoolies but the hex type handle just gives me bad memories of being a kid and having to fish whatever junk my dad brought home from a tagsale. 

5 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

But most fishing equipment come from China....

No expert here, but I’m certain that the majority of low to mid price reels are assembled in China or Malaysia. Shimano, Penn, etc. 

11 mins ago, EricDice said:

No expert here, but I’m certain that the majority of low to mid price reels are assembled in China or Malaysia. Shimano, Penn, etc. 

The shipping probably cost more than the cost of manufacturing...Labor is very cheap in these countries.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:08 AM, jimmy z said:

One more thing,  since the Pandemic and China's involvement,  I can't find a reason to buy from that country :howdy:

We got into the current mess all on our own: incompetent government and irresponsible people.  Nobody else but ourselves to blame.