coastalfreak

Chinese OEM Reels

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Just finished watching @scoobydoo’s new vid on the SOUGAYILANG reel. I’ve always assumed they are kinda trash, but compared to other reels in the price point, he seemed to give them a thumbs up. Now of course they are 30 bucks and so it would be wrong to assume they are quality, but I’m wondering if anyone has had the guts to order one and give their thoughts on its performance, I’m genuinely curious. :howdy:

I have one of their telescopic rods... it's great for a $25 rod.

Ton's of cool stuff on Alibaba. I'm looking at a rod right now.

I would weigh the risks before buying something expensive there, though.

I don’t think so called Chinese OEM reels would be great reels, but for certain low price point, they could be good, since low end products in the US tend to be over priced, also a lot of these OEM reels sell in China are   export leftovers.

2 hours ago, Koniplus said:

I don’t think so called Chinese OEM reels would be great reels, but for certain low price point, they could be good, since low end products in the US tend to be over priced, also a lot of these OEM reels sell in China are   export leftovers.

Well I do know this as a fact the ming-Yang reels are of nice quality especially if you can find the A series reels,they work extremely well as well as the second generation CL series of which I have five.

Three CL-60's and 2 CL-70's.

The stock drags are good, maybe you get two seasons out of them  if you're hammering fishbut, when you switch in the carbons they're perfect.

You can find the CL and the CLA series on eBay.

They used to be cheap 25 bucks 30 bucks but now they're getting up there 50 60 bucks for the CL 70.

And now they even make a CL 80 and a CL 90 which are monster reels.

HH

4 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Just finished watching @scoobydoo’s new vid on the SOUGAYILANG reel. I’ve always assumed they are kinda trash, but compared to other reels in the price point, he seemed to give them a thumbs up. Now of course they are 30 bucks and so it would be wrong to assume they are quality, but I’m wondering if anyone has had the guts to order one and give their thoughts on its performance, I’m genuinely curious. :howdy:

I thought he called them out for lying about one of their  magnesium reels. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

...................the SOUGAYILANG reel.............................

I’m wondering if anyone has had the guts to order one and give their thoughts on its performance,

Lol

I did

I ordered one and I'll tell you that reel looks so nice.

It felt so smooth and good in the hand.

The only "little" problem was line layout on the reel.

That spool looked like a pyramid.

They may  needs to work on gears and pinions

Reel01.jpg

Reel02.jpg

Reel03.jpg

Edited by Popasilov

On 2/16/2021 at 8:57 PM, Popasilov said:

Lol

I did

Reel01.jpg

Reel02.jpg

Reel03.jpg

You're going to have to shim the rotor on that one. Something tells me even then, it'll never be right.

Every time I've purchased a cheap Chinese reel - and it's only been a half dozen times just to try stuff out - I've been disappointed. Even the ones that worked well out of the box rusted quickly or didn't hold up to fishing for very long. If Scooby fishes it in the salt I'll be interested to hear how long it holds up :)

Plenty of bad experiences with OEM reels off amazon with the main culprits being bearing failures, anti-reverse failing, and gears seizing up after a dozen trips. But this was when I was a googan and buying these reels for the surf which these reels aren't meant for despite how much they advertise "saltwater capable". But without decent gear material, sealed bearings, or any type of sealing I don't see how they could sell these as saltwater reels.

IMO they've only been good to me when I fish bluefish snappers.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Every time I've purchased a cheap Chinese reel - and it's only been a half dozen times just to try stuff out - I've been disappointed. Even the ones that worked well out of the box rusted quickly or didn't hold up to fishing for very long. If Scooby fishes it in the salt I'll be interested to hear how long it holds up :)

Well at least we know the "magnesium" isn't going to corrode.

1 hour ago, RockRonin said:

You're going to have to shim the rotor on that one. Something tells me even then, it'll never be right.

Didn't want to try.

I send it back and it was refunded

On the other hand, I ordered Plusinno spinning reel that works very good in the garage so far.

Will see how it will be on the water.

21 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Didn't want to try.

I send it back and it was refunded

On the other hand, I ordered Plusinno spinning reel that works very good in the garage so far.

Will see how it will be on the water.

Cheapest reel I own is an Okuma that Scooby recommended. The regular price on it was 64 and it was going for 34. From there it's a big jump up. I'm not a Chineseum OEM reel type of guy. Tackle shop owners smile and offer me coffee when I walk in.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:57 PM, Popasilov said:

Lol

I did

Reel01.jpg

Reel02.jpg

Maybe it's not braid friendly.

HH

6 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Cheapest reel I own is an Okuma that Scooby recommended. The regular price on it was 64 and it was going for 34. From there it's a big jump up. I'm not a Chineseum OEM reel type of guy. Tackle shop owners smile and offer me coffee when I walk in.

What Okuma? Haven't seen any video of Scooby's review on Okuma.

I like Okuma and for light stuff that I do they are perfect.