Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Open Day at Spring Lake?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So how was it? Did anyone catch some of them giant trout? icon25.gif

It was a little too windy and a little too crowded for EdJ and I, so we went an tossed the kayaks in some ponds west of here and caught a bunch of stuff - crappies, bass, pickerel, bluegills, etc - on 5 wt fly rods and lots of fun...except for the sunburn redface.gif

So how was the opener on Spring Lake? Lotta animals get yanked outta there?

TimS

Tim,

It was slow but there was some nice fish caught. Ben Hueth had a rainbow over 6 lbs to win the kids contest. The day was still a success as I would estimate close to a thousand kids were present. There was always a bunch of people milling around the tent, and we did our best to keep them fed and answer as many questions as possible. I will tell you one thing, there are many monsters still in the lake for the taking!

Thanks Dan, it looked like a success when I drove by around 9am icon14.gif

I'm planning on a late afternoon assault with the fly rod one of these days...see if I can't dredge up one of them monsters smile.gif

What was the biggest fish put in this year?

TimS

Ah, it was a great day. Getting the three boys up a 4 am to be at the lake by 5. Watching the sun come up and drinking hot cocoa. Then over to the tents to look at the pics of years past. Back to the lake side and more chat about the commorants and their hourly raping of the stocked fish. Lots of visiting, alittle catching and building lots of memories. Didn't have a green yak to heave plastic casting sinkers at this year. Usually the high light of the trip. tongue.gif Anyway, great job by all involved. The ride home was slow, however the boys were out cold before we left the immediate area around 5 pm. Testimony to their fun. Talked with the guys and overheard one say that the largest was over 12 lbs.. Man I hope it hits my Gary2 tiger tonight.. icon14.gif

Tim,

There is a palimino in there that is ten pounds, a monster brown 11 or 12 lbs and a similar sized rainbow. I bet there are 50 trout in that lake right now between 4-6 lbs.

Awesome...so yer saying I shouldn't be afraid to throw really big flies? icon25.gif Maybe I'll head down with a surf casting outfit and try needlefish? wink.gif

TimS

someone got a tiger trout on a swimmer last year. I saw sudsy there yesterday. He was geared up like he was fishing in Montauk. Boga grip, 9 ft rod throwing metal w/teaser, plug bag, waders etc.

someone got a tiger trout on a swimmer last year. I saw sudsy there yesterday. He was geared up like he was fishing in Montauk. Boga grip, 9 ft rod throwing metal w/teaser, plug bag, waders etc.

moon.gifmoon.gif Get it right Bullet - it's an 11' rod moon.gifmoon.gif

True though, I did look like I was gunning for bear decked out in full Delaware river shad fishing regalia. Noodle rod, plug bag..... The Boga mighta been a touch overkill but it's a part of my belt system and a pain to remove. Got me more than a few weird looks. One person asked why I had an electric cattle prod on my belt cwm27.gif

I found that 8lb golden guppy and spent an hour n a half stalking him up and down the lake - got a couple of follows on swimmers and spinners with small streamers as teasers but the %$&* thing wouldn't touch a thing hammer-time.gif

I wanted to hang that goofy looking fish in front of Gregs nose as much as I've ever wanted anything in my life tongue.gif

Saw a 4lb Brown today. Guy caught it on worms. It had a tag in the lip. Told the guy to contact SOL with the tag#.

Could anyone contact SOL without being a member? Maybe there should be a catch report for tag #'s for all anglers.

Spring Lake seemed to be a giant success, at least a million kids fishing, saw several good sized fish pulled out, and got to meet digger and Sudsy at the tent. As for our luck, well, I'd rather not re-live it. But the kids had a good time, I had a good time, the weather held up, and I had kinda forgotten what a nice little lake that is. Now that I have a trout stamp, I may have to try that again.

At least, till the striped ones get here in force.

Ed