Mikeinri

Need new hooks for eelin I think mine are now outlawed

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

43 mins ago, Konajon said:

The selfishness in this thread is incredible. Willingly breaking the law and threatening the resource just because it is the way you have always done it or have never seen a warden at night? Times change, grow up and use the right hooks. 

I think the post was about what IS the right hook 

The resource is in more danger from other types of fishing then guys eeling.

Circle hooks are proven and they catch. You might lose some fish the first outings, but once you get the hang of them you will see great hook up rates and less dropped fish IMHO. There are different ways to fish them, but you will have to find what works for you. Some just let the fish take the bait then reel and others will fish a super light drag and after the fish runs for a little tightened down the drag. Both methods work, but as in every aspect of surf fishing you need to find what method you like the best. 

For hooks gamaktsu or mustad are good inline circle hooks and are readily available.

2 hours ago, cow tamer said:

Tried circle hooks with eels.

Eels flew right off on casting.

Hooks seemed to cut right through them.

Might have to tie wrap them.

Tie wrapping or bridling, in one form or another, is the way we'll have to go.

1 hour ago, newportrockhopper said:

Circle hooks are proven and they catch. You might lose some fish the first outings, but once you get the hang of them you will see great hook up rates and less dropped fish IMHO. There are different ways to fish them, but you will have to find what works for you. Some just let the fish take the bait then reel and others will fish a super light drag and after the fish runs for a little tightened down the drag. Both methods work, but as in every aspect of surf fishing you need to find what method you like the best. 

For hooks gamaktsu or mustad are good inline circle hooks and are readily available.

Could you please post a couple of pics of what works for you  ?

I have caught hundreds if not thousands of stripers on eels.Cant remember one I released that did not make it because of the way it was hooked Boat and surf. Another example of over educated inexperienced whippersnappers wasting money and my time.

10 mins ago, Bob C. said:

I have caught hundreds if not thousands of stripers on eels.Cant remember one I released that did not make it because of the way it was hooked Boat and surf. Another example of over educated inexperienced whippersnappers wasting money and my time.

Totally agree Bob. 

52 mins ago, riggler said:

Could you please post a couple of pics of what works for you  ?

Well i don't live on the east coast anymore so cannot provide pics. Making a rigged eel with circles is not different than with a O'Shaughnessy hook. 

Saltwater Edge just posted some good reads on their blog. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Konajon said:

The selfishness in this thread is incredible. Willingly breaking the law and threatening the resource just because it is the way you have always done it or have never seen a warden at night? Times change, grow up and use the right hooks. 

Wait till they get busted and fined and then come back here bitching

Edited by DerrickT

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Konajon said:

100% agree.   :agree::clap:

The regulation is in place to protect the resource. I very rarely see fit to follow arbitrary laws in other aspects of life, but when it comes to wildlife regulations I do.. because if I don't, then I'm no better than the bucket brigade poachers keeping 14" bass... 

Its not my resource, it belongs to everyone. Having respect for the regulations means not only respecting the fish you rely on for sport, but also the other anglers in your community.. 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Tie wrapping or bridling, in one form or another, is the way we'll have to go.

Not true I have been using circles exclusively for live eels for the last 10 years and I have not experienced any more cast offs than I did in the 25 previous years using J hooks. I even debarb my circles to make it easier to remove from the stripers jaw. I just use a thin cross section of either a 3/16 or 1/4 inch

O-ring that I put on the hook after going through the chin and out an eye (this setup also holds ripped swim shads on jigs very well). Circles for live eels definitely can have a learning curve but offer no real disadvantages.

Now rigged eels, that might be a different story.

Just now, Dave T. said:

Not true I have been using circles exclusively for live eels for the last 10 years and I have not experienced any more cast offs than I did in the 25 previous years using J hooks. I even debarb my circles to make it easier to remove from the stripers jaw. I just use a thin cross section of either a 3/16 or 1/4 inch

O-ring that I put on the hook after going through the chin and out an eye (this setup also holds ripped swim shads on jigs very well). Circles for live eels definitely can have a learning curve but offer no real disadvantages.

Now rigged eels, that might be a different story.

I think in rigged eel terms.

Hey boys.  Some will use those circle hooks, others will stick to what they know and have built for years.  To each their own, and I won’t publicly take a stand on this.  What I will say is I have seen officers with night vision Binos.  No joke.  They really tell me it’s about the shorts being kept and the bucket brigade. I am just saying since you haven’t seen them for 20 years didn’t mean they didn’t see you.  
I don’t believe we will get our chops busted over rigged eels or skins, but time will tell.  Enjoy the sport and try some circles out.  If you don’t like them well do as you see fit.  Just try to help make a better image for the newbies as they need to understand the regs whether they are sane or not. 
Tight lines.  
RC