Mandoborg

Copying other plugs

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on copying other peoples plugs  ? The reason I ask is there's a certain needlefish that the builder either doesn't build anymore, or rarely builds anymore, and it seems there's a lot of demand. I've turned 1/2 dozen for myself and gave others to friends, but have never sold them .  I don't want to step on any toes at all, I love this place, but there's apparently a big market for this plug that's not being filled by the builder.  Just curious what the proper ' protocol' would be here. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Woodbusters opinion on this topic was that god created the baitfish.  There’s only so many different shapes out there, saying “you copied my plug” is just your version of a baitfish.  

After all, mimicry is the best form of flattery. 

Edited by t_man7

No it was the Surf Asylum flat glide. Dave is a GREAT guy and I've leaned a LOT through his articles and that's why I would never want to step on his toes if he's still building.  T-Man, I think I built those bottom two needles in your pic !!!  I might be wrong . Curious.

3 mins ago, 27conch said:

pretty much all plugs are copies.  Look at the Danny or Darter as examples..

Yes, although I don’t know where Stan Gibbs pulled the darter or bottle plug out of.  Very unique.  Wonder when the next stann Gibbs will come along.

Just now, Mandoborg said:

No it was the Surf Asylum flat glide. Dave is a GREAT guy and I've leaned a LOT through his articles and that's why I would never want to step on his toes if he's still building.  T-Man, I think I built those bottom two needles in your pic !!!  I might be wrong . Curious.

I was thinking about cloning the flat glide myself as well.  Found this pic on your profile, you probably made all of them.

Well yes, T_man7, there is always a first for pretty much everything.  Look at the Hogy Epoxy jigs, they are Maria clones...They may be tweaked some, but you get the idea..

I would reach out to the builder and see how they feel about it.  If you are making it to just fish, no big deal, but if you are going to copy a design and weight placement and amount, then turn around and sell as your own creation thats kinda crappy imo.   A lot goes into figuring something out to work right and let alone catch fish and be unique in some way or you wouldn't be trying to copy it. .  just my 2 cents.