18’ Alumacraft Yukon, anyone have experience?

Rate this topic

patabate

5 hours ago, patabate said:

Well I’ve located an available Alaskan. Can’t find a suitably rigged used boat so I’m going to order a new one. I’ve got a delivery slot for late April and I’m finalizing the build order. What’s your opinion on the ideal motor size and options you’d like to see. Thanks

I ordered a Bimini top after 1 year of owning the Alaskan. No place to hide without it. Gets in the way for fishing but great for cruising.  Something to consider

Bob

9D1782D4-A31B-41F3-BD1B-BA4004D805DC.jpeg

7 hours ago, Dave T. said:

The layout in the above picture is identical to what I had in my Yukon with the addition of the side console. My friend who was a well regarded tackle shop owner  and striped bass fisherman had a tiller model Duranautic like pictured above and after fishing out of mine he said he wished he had opted for the side console. As for motor in my opinion a 30 hp will take you anywhere you would want to go in a boat that size.

I hear you Dave. I've tossed and turned over this one but realizing that I don't like sitting and running a boat I'm opting to stand with a tiller. I'll rig some sort of grab rail to hold on to when underway. BTW I was a not so well regarded tackle shop owner and striped bass fisherman. I had a 16' Mirrocraft ages ago and found myself standing at the tiller when running. I feel most comfortable when I my visibility is at its max for safety and spotting. Thanks for your input, it's a good point.

No problem, I mentioned my friend because I knew you also owned a shop, you probably know who I am talking about as he was the original owner of Stratford B&T. As for sitting,

17 mins ago, patabate said:

I hear you Dave. I've tossed and turned over this one but realizing that I don't like sitting and running a boat I'm opting to stand with a tiller. I'll rig some sort of grab rail to hold on to when underway. BTW I was a not so well regarded tackle shop owner and striped bass fisherman. I had a 16' Mirrocraft ages ago and found myself standing at the tiller when running. I feel most comfortable when I my visibility is at its max for safety and spotting. Thanks for your input, it's a good point.

I never had the seats in my boat unless my father was with me, I too preferred to stand. I really liked the stability the side console offered but honestly I never ran a tiller driven boat so to each their own. Best of luck and tight lines in whatever you decide on.

21 hours ago, Dave T. said:

No problem, I mentioned my friend because I knew you also owned a shop, you probably know who I am talking about as he was the original owner of Stratford B&T. As for sitting,

I never had the seats in my boat unless my father was with me, I too preferred to stand. I really liked the stability the side console offered but honestly I never ran a tiller driven boat so to each their own. Best of luck and tight lines in whatever you decide on.

I had a 18’ cc  for 10 years then a walk around cuddly cabin for 20 years. It took some getting used to sitting down in the tiller. The IPS hull is a smooth,stable ride. Sometimes I feel the need to stand up when conditions warrant but for the most part, I’m comfortable running sitting down. The 50hp gets it up on plane quickly. When fishing alone, all the seats are removed except the tiller seat. Lots of available fishing space. 

Edited by Bigfootgrey

18 hours ago, patabate said:

BTW I was a not so well regarded tackle shop owner and striped bass fisherman. 

Pat's too modest, he was a very highly regarded tackle shop owner, AND striper fisherman.

Hope you're doing well. Pat.

Edited by Billybob

47 mins ago, Billybob said:

Pat's too modest, he was a very highly regarded tackle shop owner, AND striper fisherman.

Hope you're doing well. Pat.

Doing well, thanks. Hope all is well with you and the family, when I see your posts it brings back some memories. As you can see by these posts I'm downsizing, buying a boat isn't as much fun as it used to be. Stay well

We're doing good, thanks.

You can't go wrong with a tin boat, Will got one last year because the price was right, and it's a lot of fun.

We have the best inshore fishery for a boat like that, you can pike in the river, stripers, blues, fluke seabass  albies and blackfish, all near shore, can't beat it.

And the Alaskan is the king, and there's no maintenance, easy to haul and launch.

You're gonna love it.