patabate

18’ Alumacraft Yukon, anyone have experience?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Downsizing and I’m looking at a 2017 Alumacraft Yukon tiller steering. I’m primarily going to use it for casting around shoreline and structure. My concerns are lack of storage and weight distribution. It has 2 good sized rod lockers on the gunnels, small anchor locker in the bow and a single battery space in the stern. 
I intend on putting a 24 volt electric motor on the bow. Two batteries would take over the entire anchor locker. I’m thinking of putting a large cooler center amidship for dry storage. There’s also a small bait well in the stern that I probably can remove for a bit more storage. 
Also intend to put a 60hp Yami with tiller controls for power. 
Appreciate any advice or experience you can give. Ideas on tin boat storage also needed. Thanks in advance. 

Dont have any experience with alumacraft, but have seen some up close and talked to owners that seemed happy.  I currently have an older 16' Sylvan CC with a 50 hp yammi, but previously had a 14' tiller. My concern about an 18 ft tiller would be visibility over the bow at slower speeds, plus tiller is just a PIA after a while.. 

A small center or side console would give you storage for your batteries, sonar/gps, etc. in addition to keepimg the weight better balanced midship.  I have a cooler seat with tilting backrest behind the CC that serves as dry storage, livewell, cooler, etc.

Hope this is helpful..

Posted (edited) · Report post

You could stand forward a little more while driving with a tiller extension. Sort of like a tiller flats boat. Add a handlebar console......

Edited by aae0130

12 hours ago, aae0130 said:

Is this the model? 
0B027716-309D-4AD0-B264-61679C63AAC6.jpeg.4d5e438fd06646d503a7c9ebec2be675.jpeg

Doesnt look like it would be an issue.....Thats a nice boat.

That’s the one. It’s been since discontinued. I actually found a 2017 model that’s been a leftover at a dealer. I’m looking for a 16-17’ tin boat and considering this one. Thanks for the input. 
Another concern with this boat is I’d probably go with a 24 volt electric in the bow. There’s a small anchor locker in the bow that could accommodate them but not with an anchor. My thinking is I’d have to expand the bow compartment. 
Thanks for the input and any other comments you may have. 

Lund Alaskan tiller has port and starboard battery boxes and port livewell. 1600 model measures 16’10”. I’ve had mine since 2016. Very manageable alone and seaworthy. My boat is currently at Lund factory for a new composite transom under warranty. 2017 and newer models come from the factory with a composite transom now

B158AA4F-4645-4AB0-93EE-5A22130AC482.png

Bigfoot, seen your boat on this site a few times, like the way you rigged that box. Lund seems to be a better thought out configuration. I started out looking at the Lund 1600, the used ones all had Mercs or Evinrude engines, mostly painted steel trailers and freshwater electric motors. A new one rigged with a Yami, aluminum or galvanized trailer and SW electric motor is in the mid $30K range and a 3+ month wait. I'm exploring options at this point. Thanks for your input.

Thanks Pat. The Yukon looks like a nice hull. A modification of the anchor locker to accommodate the trolling motor batteries should work. Perhaps a cooler/dry storage box as well for more weight forward (bow down) when fishing alone

Owned and fished out of the side console model of that boat for over 10 years before deciding to “upgrade” to a 22’ cc. Man I miss that boat, layout was different as it had a forward deck with pedestal seat mount (was great for my pop to fish out of). It was a great fishing platform and was able to handled some pretty snotty conditions very well. It was able to do 19-20 mph with a 25 horse Mercury 4 stroke, with a 60 that thing will be skipping across the water.

It sits in the water like my 16 side console. I have a 30hp e-tec 2-stroke and it does 25mph. It’s a 72 inch beam. 

021D2D2E-EE5B-4FFF-8190-A6A3F7A72279.jpeg.7f571437067af6b32413bdf0b0564281.jpeg

Edited by aae0130

On 2/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, Bigfootgrey said:

Lund Alaskan tiller has port and starboard battery boxes and port livewell. 1600 model measures 16’10”. I’ve had mine since 2016. Very manageable alone and seaworthy. My boat is currently at Lund factory for a new composite transom under warranty. 2017 and newer models come from the factory with a composite transom now

B158AA4F-4645-4AB0-93EE-5A22130AC482.png

Well I’ve located an available Alaskan. Can’t find a suitably rigged used boat so I’m going to order a new one. I’ve got a delivery slot for late April and I’m finalizing the build order. What’s your opinion on the ideal motor size and options you’d like to see. Thanks

Pat

I posted this on your other thread, don’t know if you saw it. It’s a 18’ not 16’ but it’s offered with no motor and galvanized roller trailer. I have a 50 hp e-tec which pushes it along at 32 mph top end. Max 60 hp would be fine especially if you fish 2 or 3 guys. I changed out my cleats to fold down cleats because I got tired of them catching on everything. I would recommend a roller trailer. Congratulations on the new boat. You might get yours before my transom replacement is completed! Post a pic when it arrives 

Bob

44DC1E90-B674-4653-8227-BB3E309D5460.png

8C4FF6EA-F351-47D2-9F51-B9641A9332C1.png

Edited by Bigfootgrey

The layout in the above picture is identical to what I had in my Yukon with the addition of the side console. My friend who was a well regarded tackle shop owner  and striped bass fisherman had a tiller model Duranautic like pictured above and after fishing out of mine he said he wished he had opted for the side console. As for motor in my opinion a 30 hp will take you anywhere you would want to go in a boat that size.