New St Croix Bass Rod March 2021

BG_NJ

Didn't find a thread with any buzz about the new bass rod dropping soon from SC. I am guessing that they may drop the series name and rod specs tomorrow but we'll see. They really aren't great at marketing. Anyway theres a couple teaser vids on the website/Youtube you can check out. Based on the videos, the series is going to be a USA made SCIII/SCVI hybrid blank with a focus on light overall weight, strong backbone, and to address complaints of tip heaviness in other series. Sounds like it'll sit between Avid and LTB, or just replace Avids. Tough to say though, since Avids aren't marketed as a technique specific series and this new rod is going to be a FW bass series. You can catch a few glances of the rod in the videos they've released so far. Looks pretty sharp with a split grip design that looks similar to some Dobyn's rods.

Pretty excited to see if the series delivers. Took some screen grabs to avoid posting links but it's all easy to find. Got my hopes up for a 7'1"-7'4" extra fast bottom contact offering. What are your thoughts?

New SC Rod.png

New SC Rod 2.png

New SC Rod 3.png

1 min ago, TJones said:

Very cool! I been looking at some of this info they have been releasing lately... although I primarily fish my own customs now days, I love the design and taper of most St Croix/RodGeeks blanks, and always excited to see their new releases. SC3/SC4 are great materials... :th:

Agreed. I really appreciate the SC quality/smoothness particularly when a fish is on.

Found on another forum:

"On February 15, St. Croix Rod will announce the exciting details of a landmark launch for the brand; an all-new bass-centric rod series that will help hard-core bass anglers rack up more wins, however they may be defined. The challenge? Deliver the best technique-specific bass rods on the market between $180 and $250, do it with an all-new material, handcraft them right here in Park Falls, Wisconsin, USA, and make them available to anglers at the time of their official launch in March of 2021."

Sounds like they could manage to avoid being redundant with Avids, which are a multi-species favorite. Maybe replaces Avid X?

1 min ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I saw that as well.

I would love to see a fast to extra fast rod around the 8ft mark with a lure weight rating of 3/8oz to 3/4oz.

But, we will see.

I definitely hope they introduce some uncommon options in the series (such as a 9'1" punching model in LTB casting). 1 piece ~Medium power in 7'6"+/bass-oriented action is hard to come by. I think a BFS offering would sell like crazy. Something around 6'9" rated down to 1/16

3 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I saw that as well.

I would love to see a fast to extra fast rod around the 8ft mark with a lure weight rating of 3/8oz to 3/4oz.

But, we will see.

If history is any indicator probably not :D lol but you know, their inshore avids are pretty sweet and I believe offered in 8’... although with their handle designs they get a bit tip heavy in the longer lengths IMO... of coarse you could always go custom! :-) 

1 min ago, TJones said:

If history is any indicator probably not :D lol but you know, their inshore avids are pretty sweet and I believe offered in 8’... although with their handle designs they get a bit tip heavy in the longer lengths IMO... of coarse you could always go custom! :-) 

I picked up the 8 ft ML Tidemaster (spinning) during the christmas sale. Haven't fished yet but feels nice in hand. I suspect it will like a much heavier reel than one might expect for a ML rated rod. I am a fan of the versatile action in this series but I'd say its far from anything I'd call an extra fast. 

1 min ago, BG_NJ said:

I picked up the 8 ft ML Tidemaster (spinning) during the christmas sale. Haven't fished yet but feels nice in hand. I suspect it will like a much heavier reel than one might expect for a ML rated rod. I am a fan of the versatile action in this series but I'd say its far from anything I'd call an extra fast. 

Agree, they are nice rods... but I wouldn’t say  xtra fast either. The Avids are a bit faster action than the tide masters, but still not extra fast... personally I don’t really like StCroixs “extra fast” blanks... in the lower powers they can get a bit floppy in the tip. I prefer their, standard “fast” action blanks. But I know opinions vary on that.

6 hours ago, TJones said:

Unfortunately, the lightest 8ft Avid Inshore was rated for 1/2oz to 2oz.

13 mins ago, TJones said:

Oh man ok, yeah that’s a tough niche rod to find.

Yeah I feel like that’s the case with a of series that come in spinning and casting. Despite the enthusiasm around BFS companies probably assume most guys will switch to spinning once you drop below about the 1/2 oz sweet spot (total lure weight)