tper

Does and deer in general

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I have always wondered why I see 20 to 1 does to bucks -- Do deer give birth to more females yearly or are do that many yearling bucks get taken as does?     Just curious if anyone knows or experiences the same

Tper

3 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Bucks get smart quick.  

Yeah there's that but wouldn't it also be a territory thing also? Does could give a crap about being in large groups but Bucks to their separate way most of the year with their haram of does.

Now I have to go read stuff... :read:

Does group up, bucks are loners. Also a young doe may stay with it's mother until the next time she comes into estrous and gets pregnant.

3 mins ago, rocco said:

or shot

Yeah, and hit by cars when they get dumb during the rut.  

But as Mitchell says below, another moves into the area to fill the need.  

1 min ago, MitchellNJ said:

Yeah there's that but wouldn't it also be a territory thing also? Does could give a crap about being in large groups but Bucks to their separate way most of the year with their haram of does.

Now I have to go read stuff... :read:

Look at the pictures from behind my house.  Throw a little corn on the ground and does show up by the dozen.  There are scrapes nearby, racks cruising around, but they will not step foot in front of that camera.  I've seen big bucks do some crazy stuff.  You've talked to my uncle.  Bucks walking behind a camera and sniffing the strap only to turn around and never get their pic taken.  Call it trophy hunting or whatever.  To me, there is something about trying to outsmart an animal that has super powers.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does give birth to twins usually if they have enough nutrition. They could have one or even 3.  I think the sex ratio is close to 50/50. Bucks are targeted. And behave different. Like CSJ said. Exception is when they do the bachelor group thing. Still harder to see bucks

Edited by KWolf

I think they are grouped up more than you realize, late season once they drop their horns and throughout the summer in bachelor groups..... they spend more time together when we’re not keeping track of them unless you scout hard year round you would never know it. 

I will say..... some of the dummest deer are probably button bucks and small spikes.

LOL I can tell you the "Post-hunt Population" is because the 19 that are still alive are like "**** this I see your camera and stand. I'll see youz at 2:00 AM." :howdy:

ratios

4 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

I think they are grouped up more than you realize, late season once they drop their horns and throughout the summer in bachelor groups..... they spend more time together when we’re not keeping track of them unless you scout hard year round you would never know it. 

I will say..... some of the dummest deer are probably button bucks and small spikes.

Yeah....easiest deer to kill is a fawn during the rut when mom is with a buck or a 1 1/2 year old buck. Juan is right but takes a couple years. Then at 4 years, totally different animal.  Puzzy is what usually gets them killed

4 mins ago, KWolf said:

Yeah....easiest deer to kill is a fawn during the rut when mom is with a buck or a 1 1/2 year old buck. Juan is right but takes a couple years. Then at 4 years, totally different animal.  Puzzy is what usually gets them killed

I invite anyone to sit behind my house anytime.  Does everywhere.  Then during the rut it will be bucks running around all over the place with their tongues hanging out.  Where do they come from.  Where do they go?  

Easy.  They go where you arent and they only come back when you're not there.  They will lay down in a little finger of woods 20 yards from someone's kitchen window and be completely still all day while people are walking by.  

Daylight sightings here are 20 to 1 does to bucks   Trailcam photos after dark are 50/50.  They're there, you're just not seeing them 

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I invite anyone to sit behind my house anytime.  Does everywhere.  Then during the rut it will be bucks running around all over the place with their tongues hanging out.  Where do they come from.  Where do they go?  

Easy.  They go where you arent and they only come back when you're not there.  They will lay down in a little finger of woods 20 yards from someone's kitchen window and be completely still all day while people are walking by.  

Exactly, one of the biggest bucks i have seen was bedded behind a doghouse between two pine trees.