MA COVID Vaccine Availability

Rate this topic

FizzyFish

21 hours ago, rst3 said:

I've been wondering/worried about this. First of all, demand is going to skyrocket once additional population categories are opened, which I'm guessing have greater numbers of people than the more targeted "healthcare/first responders," or 75+.

But even if you didn't increase the size of the slice available for shots, won't they need to double the administration just to keep up with the original pace? and cover those who are due for their second dose? It's going to be a sh¡t show.

Massachusetts is not going to go to the 65+ sub-phase for at least a month or two. It will be the J&J Vax for the majority of the population. 

J&J vaccine production in their Baltimore plant has fallen as much as 2 months behind schedule. Might be a little while before this vaccine ships in numbers to significantly help supply. Their $1B contract with the US last August called for 12M shots to be ready and available by the end of February. A mid-Jan report claims only 3-4M will be ready, and it'll take until at least late April for the company to catch up. Original contract specified they were supposed to deliver 60M doses by the end of April.

Good news is, 85% effectiveness at preventing serious covid, and no hospitalizations or deaths in clinical trials. Single shot regimen. Haven't seen a ton on side effects, but a few reports mention sore arms, low grade fever. Usual deal.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Towns are being cut off from vaccine supplies too . WTF is going on? Who is making these decisions with our health/welfare ?

MARION — In a press release issued by Town Administrator James McGrail, Public Health Nurse Lori Desmarais and the Marion Board of Health, it was announced that the town was denied a request to the state for additional vaccines, and that officials are still pursuing more doses.

As of Friday, Feb. 12, the Town of Marion had administered 886 doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to first responders, health care workers and seniors aged 75 and above as part of Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the state’s vaccine distribution plan, according to the release. This includes vaccinating 100% of the population over the age of 85 who requested the vaccine.

While the Town is prepared to continue to staff local vaccination clinics, its ability to do so is completely dependent on receiving vaccine doses from the State Department of Public Health, officials said in the release. At this time, no additional vaccine doses have been made available to the town of Marion from DPH.

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

47 mins ago, rst3 said:

J&J vaccine production in their Baltimore plant has fallen as much as 2 months behind schedule. Might be a little while before this vaccine ships in numbers to significantly help supply. Their $1B contract with the US last August called for 12M shots to be ready and available by the end of February. A mid-Jan report claims only 3-4M will be ready, and it'll take until at least late April for the company to catch up. Original contract specified they were supposed to deliver 60M doses by the end of April.

Anyone know if these types of contracts typically have a penalty clause for not meeting pre-established quantities by date certain?

3 hours ago, rst3 said:

Good news is, 85% effectiveness at preventing serious covid, and no hospitalizations or deaths in clinical trials. Single shot regimen. Haven't seen a ton on side effects, but a few reports mention sore arms, low grade fever. Usual deal.

Starting production is always difficult. Glitches are hardly unknown.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, BrianBM said:

Very unlikely.

Extremely unlikely.  No company would agree to it with so much uncertainty and so many other buyers.  These are unique governments contracts but ones I am familiar with do not have penalties other than being disbarred from doing business with xyz agency for so many years.  

Perhaps we are lucky here In Sandwich. The local health department has been on top of this situation from the get go, before it really took off and was declared an emergency. The town has the only refrigeration  to hold the marnerva shot and set up a well established site at the Senior center and took care of the majority of the safety[fire and police  departments in Sandwich, Bourne and Mashpee. They for the most part have all received a second shot . The goal now is to do all citizens that are over the age of 8o and above. Most have received the first shot in an orderly manner by the Sandwich Health Officer and town Nurse. They had fire fighters or emt's trained to do the shots , put in new road ways to conduct an orderly clinic and now we await our second shot. The next group will be those who are 75 and above . In both situations those with medical issues were also given appointments in keeping with protical   established by the town of Sandwichs Fire, Police, and health team . The local nursing homes were contracted to be done by CVS , which to my knowledge has been accomplished. Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

On 2/14/2021 at 3:42 PM, FEW3 said:

Massachusetts is not going to go to the 65+ sub-phase for at least a month or two. It will be the J&J Vax for the majority of the population. 

Well surprise, surprise, the state just opened it up to the next group, including 65+, starting tomorrow. I was figuring mid March. 

Pfantum Pfishah

24 mins ago, bdowning said:

Well surprise, surprise, the state just opened it up to the next group, including 65+, starting tomorrow. I was figuring mid March. 

Yep, but is the supply there. 

Important note though. They split off some from group.

If you're under 65 overweight and smoke , you can get it.

If you're under 65 overweight and have hypertension, you can't. 

(Reading the MA. Website, it still says overweight w/ high BP still qualify . Either a bad press report or state site isn't updated. )

Two pans of Betty crocker brownies should push my BMI over 30. That and my BP should score me a slot. 

Edited by FEW3

35 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Perhaps we are lucky here In Sandwich. The local health department has been on top of this situation from the get go, before it really took off and was declared an emergency. The town has the only refrigeration  to hold the marnerva shot 

Moderna does not require the deep temperatures that Pfizer does.

Moderna remains stable for 30 days at 36-46 degrees Fahrenheit.....the temperature of a standard home or medical refrigerator.  

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

With very little warning and several sites opened appointments up for 65+ tomorrow early afternoon.  If you weren’t able to make an appointment right then, I hear they were all booked