SJRhino

News on Saragosa 6000 swa availability?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I was going to take advantage of buying the outgoing version of the 6K on sale as the new one came out...but as far as I can tell, they're already gone, and were never discounted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RedGreen said:

You don't need to be fishing it to notice. Just try and turn the rotor backwards and you'll see the flex. This isn't present in any of Penn's higher end reels whatsoever. The previous gen spheros and gosa still flexed but much much less than the 6K 2020 gosa I handled. It was trash.

 

Ged, remember that this is the same company that chose to use a cheap molded plastic clutch instead of a solidly mounted metal housed unit in their flagship spinner, while simultaneously raising the price. Gotta keep those profit margins fat as long as people keep throwing money at them. 


I just tried to do this on my 6000 and it barely moves, maybe two degrees with a good amount of pressure.  I wanted to check because my reel arrived from basspro with the box seal broken.  Was happy to get one but couldn’t help but wonder if somebody returned it because of an issue.  Can anyone replicate what he’s saying on theirs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like some are a lot better than others. That's great. 

 

I'll make a vid of my spheros doing this and upload it here to prove I'm not trying to pull any funny business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AR clutches have give (not slop)....It's a function of the nylon/plastic liners holding the metal cylinders.  They lock up..then can load up a bit.

 

I did that with a spinfisher just now..

Held the body and wrenched on the rotor.

 

Either the rotor was slipping on the pinion shaft...or it was the clutch.  But I could wrench it backwards infinitely.  Honestly....I never realized I could do that to the extent I did...it was kinda weird...ain't gonna lie.....I hope I didn't break it.

 

New and old gosa....exibited the same elastic/ tensioning feel when wrenched on.  

Same as every shimano has.

Even the Metal housed stella sw had some load up past lock up.

 

Did the tackle shop dude also tell you he can't get any?  That he ordered hundreds in the past 5 months and got 5.....

I think the dude at the tackle shop was making up a story because he doesn't have any product to sell. (which is the case of every single shop with an online presence)

 

Many shops sell Shimano 10:1.....They can't do that now....because there isn't enough coming into the country..and there isn't any accurate "when" the product will be available....They have to push other brands now.

 

At the same time...I could be totally wrong...and there is a flaw in a run of clutches...(but it's a design that has held up for decades and has proven one of, if not the strongest and most reliable on the market)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just dialed in/ zero'ed out my scale to 10lbs.

 

Did a pull with the Shimano Saragosa  6000 SWA 2020

 

The rotor exhibited zero load up past lock up. (maybe a 1/16") (lock up was instantaneous)

I lined up the roller with the handle stem....pulled while staring at it.

It didn't budge.

Scale read 13lbs

 

Now if I wrenched on it....I could get it to load up quite a bit...Much more than say a 14k twinpower.

 

 

 

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23lb pull test (and that's all I'll be doing.)

 

Rotor loaded up a total of about 3/16"

 

Following the rule of 1/3's

To hit that safely 

You'd have to fish at a minimum...50lb braid with a PR knot to an 80lb leader (maybe a 60 with an ag chain knot)

 

I fish 10- 14k's with that because I need the capacity 

 

You nutso snookers down in FL are like Amberjackers.......Very niche....About as niche as skishers.

 

But I don't think it'll be problematic......I'm not hearing anything.

 

Oh and I think I stripped my rotor on my Spinisher 4500....so thanks :) lolol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RedGreen said:

You don't need to be fishing it to notice. Just try and turn the rotor backwards and you'll see the flex.

My 5000 size SWA has maybe 2-3 degrees of backwards flex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

 

 

Following the rule of 1/3's

To hit that safely 

You'd have to fish at a minimum...50lb braid with a PR knot to an 80lb leader (maybe a 60 with an ag chain knot)

 

I fish 10- 14k's with that because I need the capacity 

 

 

 

Oh and I think I stripped my rotor on my Spinisher 4500....so thanks :) lolol

 

I have a new Saltiga 14k I'm hoping to use for topwater tuna out on the Bluefin Grounds, I'm trying to figure out what to spool it with. I was thinking 65# Maxcuatro for capacity and because I have it on a lot of reels and it's been pretty good. Should I go higher, lower, different line or what? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I have a new Saltiga 14k I'm hoping to use for topwater tuna out on the Bluefin Grounds, I'm trying to figure out what to spool it with. I was thinking 65# Maxcuatro for capacity and because I have it on a lot of reels and it's been pretty good. Should I go higher, lower, different line or what? 

You should be just fine with that...know a bunch that use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

You should be just fine with that...know a bunch that use it.

Should I be using yellow out there? What color do most of the guys out there use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Should I be using yellow out there? What color do most of the guys out there use?

White blue green yellow in that order.. Sorta tied with white and blue. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/15/2021 at 6:46 PM, scoobydoo said:

White blue green yellow in that order.. Sorta tied with white and blue. 

 

 

Okay, I found the White 65# for $90 and the Moss Green 65# for $75. Should I spend the extra $15 for the W? and how does that affiliated linking work again? Do i just click on one of your other links and then from there go to maxcuatro and purchase?

Edited by RockRonin
Need More Advice from the Advisor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 6:46 PM, scoobydoo said:

White blue green yellow in that order.. Sorta tied with white and blue. 

 

 

Found White for $90 and Green for $75...Is the White $15 better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, scoobydoo said:

23lb pull test (and that's all I'll be doing.)

 

Rotor loaded up a total of about 3/16"

 

Following the rule of 1/3's

To hit that safely 

You'd have to fish at a minimum...50lb braid with a PR knot to an 80lb leader (maybe a 60 with an ag chain knot)

 

I fish 10- 14k's with that because I need the capacity 

 

You nutso snookers down in FL are like Amberjackers.......Very niche....About as niche as skishers.

 

But I don't think it'll be problematic......I'm not hearing anything.

 

Oh and I think I stripped my rotor on my Spinisher 4500....so thanks :) lolol

 

With all the reels on the market, I think everyone looks for any tiny flaw to disgard a reel without even fishing one. Winding down to the end of mack season and my 6k Gosa made it thru with twice as much use as my Stella SWC. Stella feels like crap in heavily need of service and Gosa still functions like new. There is no play in the rotor at all and first year my backup became my primary. Don't know why my $250 reel outperformed the flagship over reel wrecking season, but will certainly be buying another for the boat set with the luck I had with mine. Snook fishing puts 1/20th the amount of stress on a reel, so should be a winner in that category for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried to flex my rotor back on all 4 of my Saragosas.  I have 2 SW 20K, a SWA 18K and a 14K.  The 14K flexes the least, the others are about the same, maybe a degree or two at most.  Compared to my 6500H Saltiga, it's about the same maybe a little bit better.  Going down the line with a bunch of Penn Clashes, Spinfisher VI, Stradics, Conflicts, BGs, they are all similar, 1-2 degrees of backwards rotation.

 

The best reel I have with this silly test?  A clapped out Okuma Azores Z90S.  Zero movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.