nfnDrum

You ever look at your gear and ask why?

Rate this topic

134 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I keep asking myself do I need all this crap? I'm sure we all have varying degrees of OCD. I do like to keep it simple and try to have as few rods and reels as possible to cover as much ground as possible. How many rods do you actually USE for each area. Ones you would call your go to set ups? Freshwater, Inshore Saltwater, Off Shore Saltwater, Surf, Fly, Travel. I personally don't have gear for all of these areas but are listed for the sake of conversation. Entering into the light tackle side of both freshwater and surf has me conflicted with my less is more philosophy.

Edited by nfnDrum

Ya I hear you I’ve got more saltwater gear then freshwater and I live in Minnesota and fish Florida for 3 weeks a year.I just like having my own stuff. I have a bin of plugs that I’m afraid of using because the fish around me have big teeth and their to nice to be used for them. If my wife would find out what the cost of all my gear is I’m sure that I’d be getting the BIG “D”. My thought is if you can afford it then don’t worry about it! After your dead it will make someone else happy. But ya I know that I don’t need 3/4 of it but I have it!!

I think you guys may need some counseling.

NEVER ASK WHY.

definitely do not bust out the calculations either.

just ask if you have everything.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Callmefish said:

I think you guys may need some counseling.

NEVER ASK WHY.

definitely do not bust out the calculations either.

just ask if you have everything.

Funny you mentioned calculations that is exactly what spawned this question. I started adding up the prices of my rods. I had a WTF is wrong with me moment. I boxed up some returns last night over it.

Edited by nfnDrum

Trunk of my car looks like a portable tackle shop. 

I love fishing, but I love fish too. I love studying them, and exploring their environments. That’s what I go to college for it and that’s why I’m a fishermen, it gets me up close with the creatures and environments I love. :howdy:

57 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

I keep asking myself do I need all this crap? I'm sure we all have varying degrees of OCD. I do like to keep it simple and try to have as few rods and reels as possible to cover as much ground as possible. How many rods do you actually USE for each area. Ones you would call your go to set ups? Freshwater, Inshore Saltwater, Off Shore Saltwater, Surf, Fly, Travel. I personally don't have gear for all of these areas but are listed for the sake of conversation. Entering into the light tackle side of both freshwater and surf has me conflicted with my less is more philosophy.

Relax. Pour yourself your favorite drink. It'll go away...

I just ordered a new Century Surfmachine to go a Surfmachine elite I just got - Wife will never know,

will just look like another rod on the garage wall.

27 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

Funny you mentioned calculations that is exactly what spawned this question. I started adding up the prices of my rods. I had a WTF is wrong with me moment. I boxed up some returns last night over it.

This is exactly the problem, it all goes down hill feom that point.  Then you start making frugal purchases as opposed buying exactly what you want (at the time). This behavior leads to endless mountains of $50ish dollar reels and walls upon walls of budget rod your just not happy with and never use. 

Better buy two they may not restock, I think I already have one but better get it just in case.  I just thought about buying another reel while I have two spooled and never used in the garage. Sickness

I love to check out local Yard Sales for fishing gear, and have collected quite a lot of tackle beyond any reasonable current needs.  I'm referring to hooks, sinkers, tackle boxes, etc.  I've also been lucky enough to find mid-level rods and reels from time to time.  The problem is, soon I'll have to hold my own Yard Sale to clear out some of the excess.  I use to sell some reels etc. on eBay, but their sellers fees drove me out.  -Ed

1 hour ago, nfnDrum said:

..............How many rods do you actually USE for each area.........

8 rods that are used exclusively to troll for Bluefin.

1 rod used exclusively for jigging Tuna.

2 rods used for deep drop Tile, and trolling Striper gear.

4 rods used for wreck fishing Tog and Sea Bass, chunking for Drum and Stripers, and trolling Mojos.

4 rods used exclusively for chunking Stripers and Drum from sod banks.

6 rods used for ocean Fluke.

4 rods used for bay Fluke and smaller Spring Stripers.

6 rods used for blowfish, dock fishing, and trolling rats.

Probably another 10 that are in standby or retired status either because of sentimental value, or they just can't make the starting lineup.

5 mins ago, EdSy said:

I love to check out local Yard Sales for fishing gear, and have collected quite a lot of tackle beyond any reasonable current needs.  I'm referring to hooks, sinkers, tackle boxes, etc.  I've also been lucky enough to find mid-level rods and reels from time to time.  The problem is, soon I'll have to hold my own Yard Sale to clear out some of the excess.  I use to sell some reels etc. on eBay, but their sellers fees drove me out.  -Ed

1 min ago, JoeyZac said:

8 rods that are used exclusively to troll for Bluefin.

1 rod used exclusively for jigging Tuna.

2 rods used for deep drop Tile, and trolling Striper gear.

4 rods used for wreck fishing Tog and Sea Bass, chunking for Drum and Stripers, and trolling Mojos.

4 rods used exclusively for chunking Stripers and Drum from sod banks.

6 rods used for ocean Fluke.

4 rods used for bay Fluke and smaller Spring Stripers.

6 rods used for blowfish, dock fishing, and trolling rats.

Probably another 10 that are in standby or retired status either because of sentimental value, or they just can't make the starting lineup.

I have my main rod and a backup,

anything else has been deemed unworthy and gets classified as a pier stick

Just now, Callmefish said:

I have my main rod and a backup,

anything else has been deemed unworthy and gets classified as a pier stick

That could be completely sufficient if you are doing mainly one style of fishing with not much variety.