Convential or spinning gear for distance casting

Rate this topic

Hi everyone I just joined the group.I’m sure this has been addressed here before. I would like advice about which type of gear would be the most efficient to get the best distance casting bait from the beach. I keep hearing convential is the way to go and considering taking that route.I have neck and back problems and can cast my spinning gear pretty well. Just really want to see if it’s worth me taking a leap to conventional.

"Redsun" makes a valid point if "bombing" means well over 150 yards.

It will all depend on your concept of "distance" for your task at hand, along with your chosen tackle. 

Spinners can do serious fishing distance, but *maybe* not serious casting distance.  Spinners drag line off their fixed spools, multipliers throw line off their revolving spools.

IMHO, serious casting distance approaches 200 yards and beyond.  If that's what's required for you to reach the outer bar at low tide, you *might* want to consider a revolver over a spinner.  With either reel style, body technique and physique both play a part in getting the payload way out there. 

Personally, I think throwing the line out is more efficient than dragging it out, and thus easier on the caster's body.  I believe that a  John Holden "easy cast" with a revolver can reach out farther for the same effort required using a fixed spool. 

Those kind of long casting distances (and, depending on your casting skills and tackle, maybe even attempting to reach a bit over 100 yards) will absolutely require good casting technique along with proper rod/payload/line/reel, and that also means getting schooled in long distance casting and putting in the practice, no matter what kind of reel is employed.

Good luck, have fun, catch fish!

The only government I trust is the .45-70

12 mins ago, Rougesun said:

Read this, Beachboob. 

Find this post here on SOL. That’s 840 feet with a spinning reel. Or 280 yards. That’s a bomb, my friend. 

RudeSun, that's as silly a compare as the 313 yards Danny did for the world revolver record.  Neither have anything to do with fishing.  Grass casting is a sport unto its own.  I think that most fishing folks will find it harder to reach 200 yards with a spinner than revolver.  All of this is fraught with subjectivity, and it will come down to personal wants, needs, tools, and abilities.  That's about it, my friend.

10 hours ago, BeachBob said:

"Redsun" makes a valid point if "bombing" means well over 150 yards.

It will all depend on your concept of "distance" for your task at hand, along with your chosen tackle. 

Spinners can do serious fishing distance, but *maybe* not serious casting distance.  Spinners drag line off their fixed spools, multipliers throw line off their revolving spools.

IMHO, serious casting distance approaches 200 yards and beyond.  If that's what's required for you to reach the outer bar at low tide, you *might* want to consider a revolver over a spinner.  With either reel style, body technique and physique both play a part in getting the payload way out there. 

Personally, I think throwing the line out is more efficient than dragging it out, and thus easier on the caster's body.  I believe that a  John Holden "easy cast" with a revolver can reach out farther for the same effort required using a fixed spool. 

Those kind of long casting distances (and, depending on your casting skills and tackle, maybe even attempting to reach a bit over 100 yards) will absolutely require good casting technique along with proper rod/payload/line/reel, and that also means getting schooled in long distance casting and putting in the practice, no matter what kind of reel is employed.

Good luck, have fun, catch fish!

Very nice explanation.

It takes some practice, and using thicker lines to start helps a lot.

Hearing that zzzzzzzz is pretty awesome though.

150-175 yards of the beech would be a better than average toss no matter what equip your using ,take into account your bait ,swivel and or lure plus wind...one snag or a nick in the main line with a spinning reel  and you lost another 20 yards due to loss off line where as with a revolving spool you still can cast .....either way practice and  keep a second rod/reel in the truck

My bad right shoulder will not tolerate rotational stress.   As a bait guy I use an 11' 6" high quality rod,  I've settled on a spinner rather than the greater strength required by my reasonably good conventional.  The areas I select to fish only require 50 yard casts.  No ice packs needed at the end of the day.:howdy:

I have both and only cast 11 ft or less as a matter of comfort. Light (less than 8) bait fishing it spinner hands down but when fishing larger fish using ( more than 8) an 8oz  plus bait combo conventional is the way to go.

New conventionals with good casting control are not hard to learn and don't require that much more muscle, and they are fun to use.

Revolvers throw off the line and therefore will require less launch muscle than spinners that drag off line to achieve similar long cast distances.  This fact has been a benefit for me and my never ending chronic shoulder pain.  I use long rods, too, 12' to 14', but mostly the 14' for weight 'n' bait.

1 hour ago, BeachBob said:

Revolvers throw off the line and therefore will require less launch muscle than spinners that drag off line to achieve similar long cast distances.  This fact has been a benefit for me and my never ending chronic shoulder pain.  I use long rods, too, 12' to 14', but mostly the 14' for weight 'n' bait.

Thanks for the advice BeachBob.I just recently picked up a 10’ breakaway casting rod LDFC H 3-6oz and have it paired with a penn power mag 970 with 50 pound power pro

1 hour ago, BeachBob said:

I also have shoulder pain,that’s why I’m trying out the conventional casting gear.I seem to put a lot of strain on my body trying to throw 6oz or above with bait with spinners.I keep seeing videos of casters throwing conventional gear and it just seems like they get more bang for buck.

2 hours ago, ghost said:

I have both and only cast 11 ft or less as a matter of comfort. Light (less than 8) bait fishing it spinner hands down but when fishing larger fish using ( more than 8) an 8oz  plus bait combo conventional is the way to go.

New conventionals with good casting control are not hard to learn and don't require that much more muscle, and they are fun to use.

Thanks for your input.I’m getting into the conventional game at the advice of another member. He has been giving me a lot of input.I just got a decent deal on my 1st set up and see how it works out.