rockyoutdoors

Florida Is Kayak Friendly........pic

28 posts in this topic

New to kayaking and having a ball fishing from one. Thank goodness I have been fishing under a bridge on the intercostal, if not I would be a lobster by now. The kayak stays in the back of the truck because I know I am going again, and again, and again! :)

149314533_10219680286943925_480885786092

Posted (edited) · Report post

Florida really is the best for kayaking. You can pull over anyplace and drop a yak in the bay or Gulf. Once some of this water hyacinth is gone, our condo is allowing lakeside kayak racks for storage. Then we can build up our southern fleet.

415DF953-7BB9-4063-8C09-1780DDCB2A89.png

Edited by cheech

I drug my kayak all the way to Florida for spring break one year.  Stupid cold front blew in and I could only stand to fish for about 2 hours.  Water was wicked clear though. And your channels over that way are deep.  I think I read 50 foot on the finder.  Crazy

I do like the looks of Florida's freshwater & saltwater fishing opportunities, but I've only been there once for a week, waaaay back in the day, to do the whole Disney adventure with our 3 young kids......... but as far as actually fishing there has me royally spooked due to the whole gator thing.  I guess I've seen waaay to many wildebeest VS crock take-downs on TV for me to ever enjoy launching there for lmbass.  The crock always won.  I mean... what's the difference gator  / crock I'd seriously lose any of those encounters.:scared:

Now that’s what I’m talking about.  Just looking at your pictures of gators, especially the top picture, gives me the willies.  Yesterday27 I was watch the Workday Golf tournament at the Concessions in Florida.  One of the camera guys, quite by chance, caught video footage of a gator attacking a fish in one of the course’s water hazards.  The video was a bit too brief to positively ID the fish, but it looked like a crappie… and just not any crappie but a world-class trophy crappie!  It was huge!!!  That could have been me in my canoe.

Anyone see the “alligator” video on the Internet of a gator head (looked just like your top photo), cruising up to kayakers.  It wasn’t a real gator.  It was a perfect reproduction of a radio controlled, fully powered gator head.  It looked perfect and scared the bejeebers out of the kayakers.  That could have been me in my canoe, except in my case it would’a been a real gator head.:scared:

Once I get a yak on my condos lake I’ll be looking for the few gators, alligator gar, and otters for some pictures. If a gator threatens, just shout ‘Choot Em’.

You really only need to be wary of Mamma Gator if she's guarding a nest or some hatchlings ... or if a gator has been fed by tourists (loses it's fear of humans). They are naturally a-scared of humans. Crocs (bottom gif) on the other hand are generally more dangerous. The population in Southern FL is generally very shy so encounters are infrequent. However, big American Crocodiles of Central America have been known to attack, though not like the Salties of SE Asia or the Nile Crocodiles of Africa ... true man eaters.

I've walked up to more than a handful of alligators basking on paths around swamps and pond in FL ... generally ignore you.

Edited by jeffreyrichard

Ahh, gators are wimps! We used to canoe the Loxahatchee Canoe Trail in Delray beach every year with my mom. It was full of gators.

DSCF3724_modified.jpg.5f18abd0547cf7c516a15dd1ef36ca6b.jpgDSCF3739_modified.jpg.f7dddb1a22075f4b5f450a1ab14a3abb.jpg

Edited by gellfex